So why aren't you going to the footy ?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
am curious why fans are staying away in LARGE numbers , a load of reasons and are weighted differently depending on who you talk to ..
For mine scheduling is the deciding factor , battling MELB traffic , then finding a park in the boon docks for weekday NIGHT games , more often its * that for me and stay home. the afl in general , rules changes et al ,,,doesn't persuade my interest in Tigers games but other matches it does

fire away,,,,

from the people i know it’s a combination of things. complexity of ticketing/booking - oh 4 the days of just scanning your membership. that’s top of the pops. cost of food/beverages. fixturing. weather. some r still covid shy. officiating. overpowering noise during breaks - some of us just like to have a chat.

I work most Saturdays and Sundays, so most games are off limits, but have made a conscious decision to avoid AFL in general and won't be going unless I jag a GF ticket if we're in it.
Run by a corrupt and Woke organisation that is more interested in social engineering and virtue signalling than actually putting on a decent and credible show.
Footy, for me - as a player for a long time and spectator/fan - was a release on weekends, a chance to get away from everything else and the plethora of agendas being constantly forced upon us.
I don't need to go to the footy, pay $50 for the 'privilege' and $10 a beer to have more of those same agendas forced down my throat.
When I moved back to Melbourne for a few years about a decade ago, I never missed a Tigers game and would most weeks watch at least two, sometimes three games a weekend live.
Added to that, the AFL, its rule changes and constant reinterpretations of rules, have killed the spectacle off.
The game was great in the 60s (not that I was alive), 70s, 80s and 90s as it evolved naturally; its evolution since has been artificial and basically mandated from above and it's never looked worse.
FFS, put a moratorium on rule changes - we don't need two or three or four new ones a year, on top of the previous year's three. Leave the game alone. I don't see cricket inventing new ways to dismiss a batsman every summer; or basketball rushing to a four or five-point line; or netball, after introducing a two-point goal, after years of consideration, back up the next and create a three-point goal. Give the rules time and game time to breathe.
I know it's a multi-billion corporation and game, but it seriously needs to get back to grassroots and its spiritual base. And it's time for the AFL to let clubs run on their merits. A salary cap is great, but stop handing out concessions for poor performance and inept management at the expense of those who do operate effectively and efficiently. I felt that even while my own side was floundering, yet were eventually able to thrive.
It's the most contrived sporting competition in the world, with the AFL playing the role of dictator. It manufactures every outcome to its own satisfaction but has the morals of a sewer rat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shocking and gill destroyed the game we all love and brad mini shocking scott tried to copy shocking before him so remove stand rule, dissent, bring back kicking out of the goalsquare, physical ticketing and walk ups and people will go again

just go back to the rules from 20 years ago and let it evolve naturally to make up for all the tinkering theyve done

us tiger fans shouldn't go though until the umps stop reaming us. we arent on a level playing field

Last edited:
Hmm, got a 3 year old and live 2 hours away. I have to be careful which IOU's I write to the missus.

But even if I didn't have the little tacker, I hate the game as a spectacle now, it's s**t. Plus last time I went with my brother I was giving the oppos and the umps both barrels and my bro gave me an elbow in the ribs and said "you can't say that s**t anymore!".

It starts at the top and the sooner they get rid of that polo-playing w***er and all his sycophantic cronies the better.

• Change the rules back. No stand, no 6-6-6, no dissent unless it's really off the handle (in which case you can probably just report them).
  • Make the umpires wear white and tell them to stop poncing around. Long coats behind the goals.
  • Remove all association with gambling, especially those ******* gambling ads. The 'punters' (euphemism for 'gambler') can easily enough find where to bet on their own.
  • Give up on this obsession with respecting the umps on and off the field. Just drop it off the radar. No one is saying to come out and say "it's ok to call them a campaigner", just drop it.
  • Do something about the goal review system. Probably just * it off completely. It ruins the tension of the play and makes the umps seem like a bunch of wimps who can't make a decision. I mean FFS the old way with "all clear" and one or two hands to the face by the central ump was good enough.
  • Make the mid season bye over just one weekend and allow a max of two players per team (per state) to be selected in a state of origin game that weekend. Vic/SA alternating Vic/WA. No one really cares about other combinations.

Last edited:
In order of impact:-
1) Rule changes and state of the game/product.
2) Umpiring interpretation and focus on umpires in general.
3) The time and effort required with digital ticketing, and all the checks and rechecks needed between queuing at the gate and finally getting to a seat. I imagine it would be easier to visit someone in jail.
4) Virtually no Saturday 2.10pm games.
5) Distrust of the AFL decision makers and corporate interests.

I posted about this in another thread but the game no longer has integrity. There is a litany of examples that indicate the administration is rotten - from rules changes targeting particular teams, inconsistent tribunal outcomes, cover ups of incompetence and misogeny, the reliance on gambling ads, pandering to TV execs. Just generally unaccountable. The dissent rule characterises them - it's what dictators do. I think about them in the same terms as Trump / Putin levels of corruption. So I refuse to give them any more money. The only thing that can save it now is Benny Gale. Boycott til Benny.

I posted about this in another thread but the game no longer has integrity. There is a litany of examples that indicate the administration is rotten - from rules changes targeting particular teams, inconsistent tribunal outcomes, cover ups of incompetence and misogeny, the reliance on gambling ads, pandering to TV execs. Just generally unaccountable. The dissent rule characterises them - it's what dictators do. I think about them in the same terms as Trump / Putin levels of corruption. So I refuse to give them any more money. The only thing that can save it now is Benny Gale. Boycott til Benny.
biden corruption for me

In order of impact:-
1) Rule changes and state of the game/product.
2) Umpiring interpretation and focus on umpires in general.
3) The time and effort required with digital ticketing, and all the checks and rechecks needed between queuing at the gate and finally getting to a seat. I imagine it would be easier to visit someone in jail.
4) Virtually no Saturday 2.10pm games.
5) Distrust of the AFL decision makers and corporate interests.
Here here, spot on.

I havent been to match since covid started. I enjoy buying my membership and watching us on tv from the comfort of my lounge. I can eat what I want, drink what I want and its cheap. I dont have to drive home afterwards coz im already here. Its weak but its convenient and convenient works for me right now.

I havent been to match since covid started. I enjoy buying my membership and watching us on tv from the comfort of my lounge. I can eat what I want, drink what I want and its cheap. I dont have to drive home afterwards coz im already here. Its weak but its convenient and convenient works for me right now.
I haven't been since the 2019 grand final :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back