Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

No, the white shorts really stood out and differentiated the teams. Even in all the rain, it was obvious which team was which. I'm surprised about the complaining, it wasn't a bad clash.
And yet, there's a better solution they would've used against almost every other team....

No, the white shorts really stood out and differentiated the teams. Even in all the rain, it was obvious which team was which. I'm surprised about the complaining, it wasn't a bad clash.
Shorts can be a means for enhancing the differentiation between two teams but should never be the primary means of doing so. That's what guernseys are for.

You don't wear it against Collingwood or Carlton though. And you should.
As supporters we'd be happy to. The AFL don't demand it though, so the club has no reason to go outside of their requirements. Which is surprising atm because our current NIB sponsors logo looks better against the black sash than the yellow, and the Latitude one on the back stands out better against the yellow.

There’s no point blaming the clubs. To my knowledge no club has ever refused to wear the requested strip. Richmond came under considerable pressure in 2017 not to wear their clash jumper in the GF - with KB fronting it using his media platforms - and still wore it.

The AFL are simply useless on this. They cannot get it right whether it’s these clubs or other examples between other clubs.

Has alsways been worn against St Kilda as directed.

I find it hard to believe that the AFL aren't under some sort of pressure from the usual suspects. Otherwise I really don't see why they'd have any problem forcing those teams to wear a clash. What's in it for them to keep these blatant double standards and prehistoric notions of what's acceptable?

Others have said it: if we had the same issues when Port Adelaide, Fremantle, Adelaide, St Kilda etc played these teams, it'd be stupid, but at least consistent. But the double standard is what drives many of us crazy.

I think it's a bit rich to give Collingwood a pat on the back. Yes they're better than Richmond, Carlton and Essendon, but I'm quite sure that's only because the pattern of the guernseys means that the front basically remains the same. If Collingwood's design was black with a white sash, I have little doubt they'd be as pig headed as the others.

As supporters we'd be happy to. The AFL don't demand it though, so the club has no reason to go outside of their requirements. Which is surprising atm because our current NIB sponsors logo looks better against the black sash than the yellow, and the Latitude one on the back stands out better against the yellow.
Do the AFL not demand it because of pressure from the cl
I find it hard to believe that the AFL aren't under some sort of pressure from the usual suspects. Otherwise I really don't see why they'd have any problem forcing those teams to wear a clash. What's in it for them to keep these blatant double standards and prehistoric notions of what's acceptable?

Others have said it: if we had the same issues when Port Adelaide, Fremantle, Adelaide, St Kilda etc played these teams, it'd be stupid, but at least consistent. But the double standard is what drives many of us crazy.

I think it's a bit rich to give Collingwood a pat on the back. Yes they're better than Richmond, Carlton and Essendon, but I'm quite sure that's only because the pattern of the guernseys means that the front basically remains the same. If Collingwood's design was black with a white sash, I have little doubt they'd be as pig headed as the others.
It's certainly no coincidence that this issue only arises when the legacy big 4 play each other.

Finally somebody uploaded a Youtube Video of a match which produces not the worst jumper clash in history, but possibly the greatest contrast. It's a 1997 NRL match between the South Queensland Crushers (Dark Aztec Gold, Navy Blue and Dark Red) and the Gold Coast Chargers (Bright Jade, Purple, Gold and Black) played at Suncorp Stadium, and the difference between them is amazing.

Now if only somebody could upload some color footage of a University (Black and Royal Blue) and a South Melbourne (Red and White) VFL match that would be great.

I just don’t understand the rationale for Carlton and Richmond (and even Essendon) not wearing clash jumpers when they play traditional rivals. Does anybody care that much?

Teams just need 2 sets of uniforms with contrasting colours. I always hated the white clash guernseys, glad they're phasing those out. I think the umpires and runners should only wear white.

Finally somebody uploaded a Youtube Video of a match which produces not the worst jumper clash in history, but possibly the greatest contrast. It's a 1997 NRL match between the South Queensland Crushers (Dark Aztec Gold, Navy Blue and Dark Red) and the Gold Coast Chargers (Bright Jade, Purple, Gold and Black) played at Suncorp Stadium, and the difference between them is amazing.

Now if only somebody could upload some color footage of a University (Black and Royal Blue) and a South Melbourne (Red and White) VFL match that would be great.
That Chargers jumper was great! Got the knockoff Jersey replica singlet...wows everyone at Woolies. That jade colour looked absolutely fantastic under lights...you just don't get the full Charger experience in day games...

I just don’t understand the rationale for Carlton and Richmond (and even Essendon) not wearing clash jumpers when they play traditional rivals. Does anybody care that much?

It's almost like the AFL are doing it now just to they don't admit they were wrong.

Even the tradition argument looks pretty bloody stupid when Richmond went and threw a bunch of purple in their jumper design.

the manufactured "guernsey beef" of the 2019 finals between collingwood (well, eddie, really) and geelong tells you everything you need to know about this subject. it keeps bogans angry and invested. it is so easy to fix that it's easier to not fix it and keep it as a ongoing story. you might say "but that makes them look incompetent! isn't that bad for the brand?" but we're still here aren't we?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even the tradition argument looks pretty bloody stupid when Richmond went and threw a bunch of purple in their jumper design.
Not half as bad as when Carlton changed the colour of their jumper just to make some advertising money.

TBH - nearly all all clubs have 'non-traditional' colours on their jumpers as advertising, so all this 'sacred tradition' has it's price anyway.

In actual fact, I see very few clashes between the jumpers (OK, North vs Collingwood on a 12-inc B&W tv in the 60s was pretty tough), but I've never had a problem at the ground or even on tv differentiating any teams jumpers. I can see if Port wear their prison bars against Collingwood - yes, that's an issue, but other than that, white and black shorts are fine.
I think a lot of this 'jumper clash' talk is by people who want to see a clash and look for them so they can get upset about it.

That Chargers jumper was great! Got the knockoff Jersey replica singlet...wows everyone at Woolies. That jade colour looked absolutely fantastic under lights...you just don't get the full Charger experience in day games...

I loved the Chargers jumper too. I follow the Gold Coast Titans now but am still sorry that the Chargers folded in 1998. I know its impossible, but I wish that the other defunct teams of this era - Perth Reds, Adelaide Rams, South Queensland Crushers and Hunter Mariners - were still around, and that North Sydney Bears, Balmain Tigers, Western Suburbs Magpies, St George Dragons and Illawarra Steelers - were still in the NRL in their own right.

Last edited:
Not half as bad as when Carlton changed the colour of their jumper just to make some advertising money.

TBH - nearly all all clubs have 'non-traditional' colours on their jumpers as advertising, so all this 'sacred tradition' has it's price anyway.

In actual fact, I see very few clashes between the jumpers (OK, North vs Collingwood on a 12-inc B&W tv in the 60s was pretty tough), but I've never had a problem at the ground or even on tv differentiating any teams jumpers. I can see if Port wear their prison bars against Collingwood - yes, that's an issue, but other than that, white and black shorts are fine.
I think a lot of this 'jumper clash' talk is by people who want to see a clash and look for them so they can get upset about it.

I honestly think the local footy argument ends any possible grasp on tradition or clashes being somewhat contrived:

Anyone who still thinks clash jumpers are used purely for marketing purposes need only look at the growing amount of country football teams who are hardly swimming in money yet are now utilising clash jumpers.

They aren't being retailed, you can't purchase them, it comes at a significant cost to the club. But they understand the necessity. It's being done for the benefit of both players and supporters.

More than half the teams in my local league now have some sort of alternate strip – the vast majority a simple inverse – and it works.

Carlton's jumper has never really looked blue to me, may has well have been known as the Carlton Blacks.
Agree

And joining the Carlton Blacks

are the Fremantle Blues

Hawthorn Bees

Geelong Zebras

Ask someone who don’t follow AFL at all and ask what colour these teams wear? I bet 80% get it wrong.

I loved the Chargers jumper too. I follow the Gold Coast Titans now but am still sorry that the Chargers folded in 1998. I know its impossible, but I wish that the other defunct teams of this era - Perth Reds, Adelaide Rams, South Queensland Crushers and Hunter Mariners - were still around, and that North Sydney, Balmain Tigers, Western Suburbs Magpies, St George Dragons and Illawarra Steelers - were still in the NRL in their own right.
Reading between the lines, you live on the GC? If you do, do you remember the Chargers era? 1996-97...the team stopped being a joke, strung some big wins together, and then in 1997 made the finals as possibly the only good news story from the Superleague year. I was at a tavern, Mermaid I think, and we were watching their first final, which they won...crowd inside went apeshit. Chargers were literally everyone's second team, because most of us were Mexicans and wouldn't drop our old allegiances, but we all loved them. GC was transforming from a bunch of towns (220k pop in 1996) into a single identity (400k in 2000), and this sort of thing helped no end...

Reading between the lines, you live on the GC? If you do, do you remember the Chargers era? 1996-97...the team stopped being a joke, strung some big wins together, and then in 1997 made the finals as possibly the only good news story from the Superleague year. I was at a tavern, Mermaid I think, and we were watching their first final, which they won...crowd inside went apeshit. Chargers were literally everyone's second team, because most of us were Mexicans and wouldn't drop our old allegiances, but we all loved them. GC was transforming from a bunch of towns (220k pop in 1996) into a single identity (400k in 2000), and this sort of thing helped no end...

Unfortunately no, I don't live on the Gold Coast, I wish I did, it's a beautiful place.

I started following the Gold Coast Seagulls as they were back then in the very early 1990s as they were battlers, and when they changed to the Chargers I continued to follow them. I remember the GC Chargers were tipped to go winless in 1996 after off-field turmoil over the summer, but amazed everyone by going 5-16-1 and being very competitive in other losing matches. They then made the ARL finals in the split 1997 and beat the Steelers in an Elimination Final, but something went very wrong in 1998 and they slumped back to second last, winning just 4 games and copping some terrible thrashings. Like the Adelaide Rams, the Gold Coast Chargers were shut down in December 1998, which was such a shame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back