List Mgmt. 2022 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

That list is wack. No way is Scully is 14 and Ashcroft is 4. Also Busslinger ain't going top two.

I'll assume wack is a compliment. Thanks.

Busslinger probably won't go at 2, but that's why it's not a prediction.

That list is wack. No way is Scully is 14 and Ashcroft is 4. Also Busslinger ain't going top two.
Sweeping general statements on the draft in June is a dangerous game, the list is also Chris’s personal ranking. If you disagree that strongly please explain why, based on the games you’ve watched

Scully at 14 isn't that controversial in club land, he's all over the place in rankings at the moment from the amateur watcher to the actual recruiters

Sweeping general statements on the draft in June is a dangerous game, the list is also Chris’s personal ranking. If you disagree that strongly please explain why, based on the games you’ve watched
Let me backtrack and say I definitely don't know more than draft watches on here so I probably came across too strong haha. I do read all the scout reports and watch highlights. Generally KPDs never go top two so that's very generous for Busslinger. Ashcroft is probably around the mark but the general consensus is top 3. Based on Scully's trajectory I would be surpirsed if he doesn't go top ten. As you say way too early to tell.

Let me backtrack and say I definitely don't know more than draft watches on here so I probably came across too strong haha. I do read all the scout reports and watch highlights. Generally KPDs never go top two so that's very generous for Busslinger. Ashcroft is probably around the mark but the general consensus is top 3. Based on Scully's trajectory I would be surpirsed if he doesn't go top ten. As you say way too early to tell.

I'll start with Scully, who I've seen a decent amount of this year. He's very good at what he does, arguably the best in the draft pool - a 200cm+ contested marking deep forward. It's something every club wants. But there are also limitations. Outside of that, his impact is limited. He doesn't offer much in the terms of ruck relief at the moment. He's only had one game at West Adelaide in which he's gotten up the ground to any real effect. If a taller and stronger defender can take away his trump card, then what next. Josh Schache was excellent at what he did best too.

I'm hoping he gets a chance to show off for SA at the Champs - but that's easier said than done when you're trying to allow another 4 talls to do the same. And even if his trajectory does shape towards the top 10, he still has to get past the likes of Lemmey, Cadman and Keeler. Maybe Barnett and Broadbent too. Only so many talls will go early.

As for Ashcroft, he's looking like a star. But I really like Phillipou with his extra height and versatility. That's where personal preference comes into it. It's like saying would you rather Matt Rowell or Noah Anderson. I'd be happy with either.

I'll start with Scully, who I've seen a decent amount of this year. He's very good at what he does, arguably the best in the draft pool - a 200cm+ contested marking deep forward. It's something every club wants. But there are also limitations. Outside of that, his impact is limited. He doesn't offer much in the terms of ruck relief at the moment. He's only had one game at West Adelaide in which he's gotten up the ground to any real effect. If a taller and stronger defender can take away his trump card, then what next. Josh Schache was excellent at what he did best too.

I'm hoping he gets a chance to show off for SA at the Champs - but that's easier said than done when you're trying to allow another 4 talls to do the same. And even if his trajectory does shape towards the top 10, he still has to get past the likes of Lemmey, Cadman and Keeler. Maybe Barnett and Broadbent too. Only so many talls will go early.

As for Ashcroft, he's looking like a star. But I really like Phillipou with his extra height and versatility. That's where personal preference comes into it. It's like saying would you rather Matt Rowell or Noah Anderson. I'd be happy with either.
What do you think Scully's biggest limitations are besides the ruck?

What do you think Scully's biggest limitations are besides the ruck?

At the moment, I just want to see more of what he can do. I'd like to see more of his leading patterns, not just having the ball kicked on top of his head. I'd love to see him play an entire game at CHF or even in the ruck, show how he'd fit into a forward setup when he's not the focal point. And like most, I'd like to see it against bigger and stronger bodies - whether that's at the Champs, or a step up in grades at West Adelaide.

It was going to be a pre-Champs list, but I'm a few days late...

I don't mind how this draft is shaping up, good handful of quality tall forwards in the first round mix and enough depth in midfielders and flankers.

There's no real obvious picks for us at the moment, especially with our tendency to draft locals. Should all become a bit clearer when WA start their Champs in a couple of weeks. Hewett or Busslinger would be great, but maybe not with where our pick could be. I imagine Broadbent would interest, but he's a #1 ruck. I wouldn't be surprised if Jed Hagan ends up as MVP at the end of the Champs, maybe he climbs the board.

I'd love Keeler, he could be around at our pick - especially if Lemmey, Cadman and Scully are off the board. We could use forwards of all shapes and sizes though, so lots to play out there still.
Always love your work Chris!
What do you see in Munkara that will either make him rise/fall to be available at our selection? I ask because you were most likely the instigator of making him one of this boards (including myself) wants early in the season

Is Tabs a natural forward? After 10 years in the game he still has massive turnovers.
Tabs still misses easy shots.
All players turn the ball over, they all miss sitters.
Logue has shown all the necessary attributes to make an excellent tall 3rd tall.
Speed, strength , fearless and a good pack mark. He is a good field kick so goal accuracy will come.
I don't follow , what's not to like.
Ps welcome back man , you've been away for far to long.

Thanks mate

Yeah I agree he possesses some really good attributes as you mentioned. I just don't feel confident with his set shots.

Having said that both Lobb and Tabs have really improved theirs so I think he can too.

What do you see in Munkara that will either make him rise/fall to be available at our selection? I ask because you were most likely the instigator of making him one of this boards (including myself) wants early in the season
In that handful around our pick he's still the one I want. I'm happy with slightly unconventional forward set ups and he could be part of that. Talents like Munkara, Frederick and Sturt (fingers crossed) are weapons, especially with a couple of decent talls and genuine crumbers. Plus their skills can be rotated midfield/wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was going to be a pre-Champs list, but I'm a few days late...

I don't mind how this draft is shaping up, good handful of quality tall forwards in the first round mix and enough depth in midfielders and flankers.

There's no real obvious picks for us at the moment, especially with our tendency to draft locals. Should all become a bit clearer when WA start their Champs in a couple of weeks. Hewett or Busslinger would be great, but maybe not with where our pick could be. I imagine Broadbent would interest, but he's a #1 ruck. I wouldn't be surprised if Jed Hagan ends up as MVP at the end of the Champs, maybe he climbs the board.

I'd love Keeler, he could be around at our pick - especially if Lemmey, Cadman and Scully are off the board. We could use forwards of all shapes and sizes though, so lots to play out there still.

Freddy on one flank and Munkara on the other would give an opposition coach absolute conniptions

That probably was me. I do like Munkara, he’s right up there on talent alone. At the moment, I think he’s in the second round mix as an overall prospect though.

Fitness base isn’t ideal, have to see how he goes running out a full match at the Champs and staying involved. He went unrewarded quite a bit in the first Allies game. If they can get him going early in a match, he could really explode. Taking over a game would go a long way to getting him in the mix for our first pick.

Do you think the player quality between those two picks is fairly even? It's a fair range early in a draft.
The quality of Johnson was top 10-15 for a lot of draft watchers, normally getting two players of that quality in their draft year at those picks is unheard of. Clearly something was going on behind the scenes whether that be fitness, attitude or something else entirely. What it was? We might never know but we got very lucky

I'd bet if we had Pick 10 and 21 this year, we wouldn't have the same experience in terms of quality

Remove this Banner Ad

Back