Rules Do we need a send off rule?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we trust the AFL with the send-off rule though? The umpires are already very inconsistent in applying the rules that are here now. I just think that you’ll get some contentious cases if implemented
Agree. It sucks when you lose a player, but the AFL would absolutely botch this up and you'd see some terrible send offs and it would be inconsistent week to week.

And the game isn’t played like the 1980’s these days, completely different. The facts are, at the end of the day this is a contact sport and concussion is going to happen, you cannot completely eradicate head knocks. The bump is essentially dead, not many players choose to bump, Stewart did today and will rightfully get his lengthy spell.
No it's not.

Is 15 minutes enough though when the victim is out for the rest of the game?
The victim being out for the rest of the game would suggest an immediate red card and the offender off for the rest of the game.
I tend to agree here. That is probably all that is required in the AFL (the send off rule at other levels is quite different, but without the scrutiny available at AFL/AFLW level).
As things stands, the incentive (thankfully not used so far) is there to go sniping in a grand final.
I can remember it occurring several times straight off.

Neale on Hudson in the 71 GF, Balme on Southby in the 73 GF and Yeates on Brereton in the 89 GF.

Spitballing here, if we want a red card/send off rule, does that apply like it does in Association Football/Soccer where the team with the offending player is reduced for 17 men on field for the rest of the game?

In that context, the only situation I would be okay with it happening is during a Grand Final.

Spitballing here, if we want a red card/send off rule, does that apply like it does in Association Football/Soccer where the team with the offending player is reduced for 17 men on field for the rest of the game?

In that context, the only situation I would be okay with it happening is during a Grand Final.
I don't like the reduction to 17 players. I think they just go to three on the bench.

The last thing the AFL needs is more rules. There actually needs to be a moratorium on new rules.

Edit: actually the moratorium needs to be on 'ideas'. No more ideas, ideas was the worst thing that ever happened to footy.

The last thing the AFL needs is more rules. There actually needs to be a moratorium on new rules.

Edit: actually the moratorium needs to be on 'ideas'. No more ideas, ideas was the worst thing that ever happened to footy.
We need a review of the rules, way to many grey area rules and others that it seems only the inner circle know exist, let's remove as many decisions from the umpires that we can

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could never entrust something like this to the umpires at the moment the incident occurs. Umpires already have enough problems interpreting and applying rules in he heat of the contest and this is such a costly one that you wouldn't want to see them get it wrong or to be inconsistent about it. It's also placing a large onus on them to make decisions about incidents which they are potentially unable to see perfectly. If an incident happens behind the play, for instance, they may not even see it. Already they sometimes get sucked in and punish a retaliator rather than an instigator.

Perhaps it could work as a referral and review system. An umpire or coach of a team can refer an incident to be reviewed at the nearest break. All umpires, and/or maybe a third-party independent arbiter, can review the footage during the break and determine if the incident is egregious enough to warrant the player being sent off for the remainder of the contest. If available, the suspended player could be replaced with the team's medical sub.

Another idea instead if stewart gets rubbed out for 2-4 weeks, one of those weeks need to be served to same opposition. This could be a final so the stakes are high

What happens if the offending player doesn’t face that team again that season? Does it carry over?

I'm of the opinion that it should work like so:

If a player gets done for a reportable offence that causes a player to go off, the reported player also goes off for the duration of play that the injured player is off.

This way there is no subjectivity to it. If it is not a reportable offence, play on.

A reportable offence is usually something that is unsportsmanlike and against the game and not what we want in our game. If a player gets injured from one for 30 m, the reported player is also off for 30m. If it's for the whole game, it's for the whole game.

Red cards would be too hard to judge. At least with a reportable offence reasoning, there is reasoning behind it.

I'm of the opinion that it should work like so:

If a player gets done for a reportable offence that causes a player to go off, the reported player also goes off for the duration of play that the injured player is off.

This way there is no subjectivity to it. If it is not a reportable offence, play on.

A reportable offence is usually something that is unsportsmanlike and against the game and not what we want in our game. If a player gets injured from one for 30 m, the reported player is also off for 30m. If it's for the whole game, it's for the whole game.

Red cards would be too hard to judge. At least with a reportable offence reasoning, there is reasoning behind it.

This honestly sounds really dumb, so I'm sure it will be implemented.

I think today's incident is the perfect example of why we do not need a send-off rule in the AFL. We play a body contact sport, the fans love it, we have 36 players running around at full pace for over 2 hours and collisions will occur. Now, if we want to take the contact out of the game altogether that's a different story and the game will not be Australian Rules Football. Stewart is a fair player (Richmond fans can cry all they want) he is a fair player and a great player. He will be penalised for making a mistake that he has already admitted to. Take all the emotion out of it, calm down and let him cop his penalty, it's going to hurt Geelong, but in our game it will happen again. Send off rules at this level for a non deliberate action is insane, it achieves nothing.

A send-off rule works pretty well in almost any other major sport in the world, including sports with more physical contact than AFL such as Rugby League. I’m not sure of how you’d implement it but it’s worth exploring.

Let’s put it this way… imagine that was a Grand Final and not a H&A match and Stewart wins the Norm Smith. I’m just not sure that would sit well
with anyone … except Cats supporters.

I think the discussion is a lot more relevant now with the much stricter concussion rules that can see players subbed out when in years gone by they’d come back on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back