Opinion Sack Hinkley 6 - Kochblocked

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kane knows the end is coming, and so he is clutching at every straw possible to keep Ken afloat. Nothing that Kane said tonight held water.

Healthy percentage? They're 10th out of 18 for percentage on the ladder. No ruck? They traded out Ladhams to prioritise the development at AFL level of their SANFL B&F, then don't play him and say they don't have a ruck when Lycett goes down (can't have it both ways). 6 or 7 players upset if Ken leaves? I'm sure their 500k (and then some) salaries will wipe the tears from their eyes, and if it doesn't, they too can leave because they are part of the problem.

Was interesting hearing that Caro said Ken has no idea if he will be coach at Port next year. Koch is keeping this close to the vest, which one could easily interpret as a sign that change is imminent. But at the same time Koch didn't say anything in 2019 when I thought he'd be sacked at the end of that season and Ken survived. Then again Ken had a much stronger contract at that time. Seems as though we will have a much clearer picture in the next 3 weeks or so.

All that Kane needed to say is that Port is the only club out of last years finalists that has had to play 8 of the current top 9 teams away from home - Geelong, Melbourne, Collingwood, Brisbane, Fremantle, Carlton, St Kilda, Richmond. And that seven of those games were decided by less than 14 points.
Exactly, the gameplan devised by Hinkley this season without Schoey is too dog s**t to win close games

All that Kane needed to say is that Port is the only club out of last years finalists that has had to play 8 of the current top 9 teams away from home - Geelong, Melbourne, Collingwood, Brisbane, Fremantle, Carlton, St Kilda, Richmond. And that seven of those games were decided by less than 14 points.
Finished second on the ladder,that's no excuse to be sitting 12th

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Oh Janus get over it with the acceptable close loss BS. Since 2013 Port Adelaide have lost the most amount of games by any AFL side by 2 goals or less, and their win rate in games decided by 2 goals or less during that time is roughly 43% - 2nd worst in the league.

This club under Hinkley has been more or less woeful over his 10 year tenure in close games bar 2020 and 2021 which were clear outliers, with 2022 once again reverting to the mean.

Awesome. When do they hand out the Most Honourable Losers premiership cup?

Exactly, the gameplan devised by Hinkley this season without Schoey is too dog s**t to win close games
Actually, it’s more the fact that last year we played Collingwood (2-0), Carlton (2-0), St Kilda (2-0), Adelaide (2-0) and the Western Bulldogs (1-1) as our double ups, as well as playing Fremantle and Richmond at home instead of away.

This year we played Melbourne (0-2), Geelong (0-2), Richmond (1-1 or 0-2), Adelaide (1-1 or 0-2) and Essendon (2-0 or 1-1).

That’s six extra wins we don’t have this year.

Actually, it’s more the fact that last year we played Collingwood (2-0), Carlton (2-0), St Kilda (2-0), Adelaide (2-0) and the Western Bulldogs (1-1) as our double ups, as well as playing Fremantle and Richmond at home instead of away.

This year we played Melbourne (0-2), Geelong (0-2), Richmond (1-1 or 0-2), Adelaide (1-1 or 0-2) and Essendon (2-0 or 1-1).

yeah, dog s**t in close games without schoey keeping a level head

I'm sick of hearing that the players love Ken. It shouldn't come into it - the number one priority has to be, what's best in the long term for Port Adelaide, not the emotions of the players.

It’s not bad luck if it happens every second week. This is our worst year in a decade.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Made worse by the fact that anyone who has watched Port this year doesn't get excited when the game is close, because everyone knows that we'll find a way to lose the game. It's actually become boring - I yearn for the day when I can watch my team play, and be on edge as I do so.

yeah, dog s**t in close games without schoey keeping a level head
Maybe - it’s definitely possible.

Or you could say that the differential between our games against Adelaide (-8 point swing - won by 4 last year, lost by 4 this year), Collingwood (-7 point swing - won by 1 last year, lost by 6 this year) and St Kilda (-12 point swing, won by 13 last year, won by 1 this year) in the corresponding fixtures show that we were missing Fantasia’s 1.9 goals a game more than people think. Or that losing Lycett was a bigger deal. Or that not having Dixon for half the season didn’t help.

Anything that was missing this year that we had last year is a contributing factor.

It’s why I’m bullish on next year regardless of who is coaching. Get a middle six fixture (somehow Geelong got one of these this year) and get our players back fit, keep working on skills when under pressure and we’ll win those close games.

The only question I have is whether Hinkley has the balls required to win a flag. And for me, it centres around how he handles Burgoyne.

A premiership coach doesn’t drop Jase for the rest of the season, because he was one of the few defenders who stood up in the heat against Collingwood.

A loser who wants to protect players he has built relationships with drops him so he can keep Byrne-Jones in the side with the reasoning that Houston is a better defender than Burgoyne or some other lame reason - when Darcy put in a woeful performance in his last game.

Think about the future.

Awesome. When do they hand out the Most Honourable Losers premiership cup?
Would we even win that?

Most if not all of those games, feature significant leads surrendered, or a significant lead given up, and choking away chances to win.

If we genuinely went at it start to finish with a slightly better team, and we're beaten by the siren more than the other team, maybe, just maybe, you can say that was an honourable defeat.

Instead though, we go missing for large patches of games and have no mental fortitude to compete when it gets tight.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they too can leave because they are part of the problem.

Yep. A player who rules out the possibility of playing as well or better under a new coach is a player we can do without in the long-term.

Would we even win that?

Nope. If it existed, we'd succumb to the burden of expectation. If a two-goal loss is honourable, we'd lose every game by four goals after being down 6-10 goals midway through the fourth quarter.

To remind everyone of Ken's horrid record against top teams and why he will never win a flag?

I agree.

Sack Ken.

Im not sure whats funnier about that Kane clip...

Kane effectively saying 3-4 players who liked Ken a month ago are off the wagon.

Or him effectively putting Ross Lyon above Adem Yze.

Many lols

In other words, last year’s result can be put down to a relatively easy draw. So Ken got lucky making a Prelim. So that then means what about his coaching ability and legacy?

Im not sure whats funnier about that Kane clip...

Kane effectively saying 3-4 players who liked Ken a month ago are off the wagon.

Or him effectively putting Ross Lyon above Adem Yze.

Many lols
Kane going to water like when he played when put under pressure, Kingsley or Ken lol, 6 or 7 unhappy players if he goes. All good reason to keep him.

As soon as he was asked a direct question that reguired an answer, he becomes childish and throws the toys out of the cot, just gold.

Last edited:
Look.

Except for the ruck we had that played in four losses, the two competent rucks we have readily available (one of whom played in 5 of our 8 wins this season) that we choose not to play, the ruck that we traded away for magic beans last year, and the ruck that likes to pretend he is a forward, there was really no way to play a ruck this year.

Imagine getting Leon Cameron to do a review on how to get the best out of talented kids
AFL don’t need to pay him out, just change his job description.
They did the same with Scott from the kangaroos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back