Autopsy 2022 Rd 21 Last quarter surge masks woeful performance

Who wishes I'd stop stuffing around with this poll after a loss?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

his only one on one contest and looked like he had never played football in that contest.

He is too slow for the backline and not tall enough to play on the tall slow type.

Fwd or VFL for JSOS
I’m not sure what others see, but in the 3rd when we were junk, I saw JSOS go into a 2 on 1 and split the contest until another Carlton player got there. That was my highlight of the whole game.

JSOS should be played as an old fashioned centreman. The link player right through corridor. Tall enough to make it a contest, not to big to be mosquitoed off. I get it isn’t a position used anymore but he is perfect for it.
We should play 7 down back with Saad playing back pocket/wing, JSOS as corridor and LOB as wing. And LOB could be great. Bit of time and confidence and he is a 200 game wingman.

Less forwards probably suits us anyway. Harry, Charlie, Motlop, Cottrell as a grunt/pressure HFF that somehow regularly hits the scoreboard and a resting mid/rover.

I know everyone will think this is stupid, but I can’t see the game the same way as most people.

turnovers happen, why are we implementing a defensive setup that requires 100% efficiency going forward? why would the opposition bother chasing someone like weitering that far up the ground?

just on the turnovers, again its a confidence thing. start of the year we're one of the best teams by foot, now all of a sudden we can't hit a single target. players are hesitating in every facet of the game.

Well put. I have been thinking through "what's happened" and had the whole "we've been worked out" thought too, but it didn't feel quite right to me...

Your explanation is exactly what I had in my head too. Looks like the coaches have overcomplicated some aspects of what was working, and oversimplified others...

turnovers happen, why are we implementing a defensive setup that requires 100% efficiency going forward? why would the opposition bother chasing someone like weitering that far up the ground?

just on the turnovers, again its a confidence thing. start of the year we're one of the best teams by foot, now all of a sudden we can't hit a single target. players are hesitating in every facet of the game.

I agree opposition scoring from turnovers appears to be a set up issue and visually it looks like we are still defending very high up on the ground - dare I say it - like we did last year.

There was a stat just before half time yesterday that Brisbane had 35 turnovers to our 34 yet they’d scored 5 goals from turnovers as opposed to us scoring 1 goal from turnover.

I’d imagine further analysis would show this has been an issue in multiple games this year.

Last edited:
Forget about our players trying to connect to 25-30 metres in our forward line - let’s worry about them connecting 25-30 metres from our backline first.
What? You don't like the whole bomb to 60m out to a 4 on 1 (against) set play that we seem to have?

If only kicking out was something that we could plan for and have more than one option for. Too bad it not a situation that doesn't happen enough to plan for.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Coaches votes ...

FZnPG5sVUAAaUJC

Nothing to see here, just some injuries and fatigue. Game plan and setups haven't changed at all :drunk:

Stig nailed it in the Melbourne thread - the team has stopped playing in the moment and is second guessing at every step.

Attacking team play replaced by hesitation, turnover, players out of position, opposition scores out the back, etc etc

Last edited:
You told me to stop blaming injuries. Do you expect me to cease examining why injuries have impinged upon Saad's ability to play his role and Hewitt and Kennedy's absence has contributed to increased output but less effectiveness from Cripps and Walsh, based upon your say so?

What? You don't like the whole bomb to 60m out to a 4 on 1 (against) set play that we seem to have?

If only kicking out was something that we could plan for and have more than one option for. Too bad it not a situation that happens enough to plan for.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I haven’t seen a decent kick out strategy at Carlton since the 1995 season.

:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, they still won those games though. Adams? De Goey? 2 key midfielders. Despite our injuries, we've rarely been 2 key midfielders down - mostly just the back 6.

It's funny, when we were losing games such as the Collingwood and Richmond ones, it was due to being at breaking point with injuries (which I actually agreed with), and it would all change once we get these players back at the back-end of the year.

We get some back, play substantially worse and it's still due to injuries.
De Goey? He's more of a liability in the midfield than an asset. I don't think they've missed him much.

Shocking effort. Couldn't watch it all.

Silver Lining? If we can somehow win one of these games then we are back in the finals.

I don't know how we look so much worse than earlier in the year - but if we can by some miracle recapture that form against Freo / Sydney, then we can snag a finals berth.

It just looks so, so unlikely right now, and I don't know why.

Time for a night off and the boys need to go to the movies…

This year has got into their heads now. Need to clear it out and start enjoying life bit…

I agree - it feels like they are getting bogged down with expectation and so many things going through their head and not playing instinctively (which was a big factor to begin with)

Cripps is the embodiment of this. Some of the decision making going forward also speaks to this.

Fish attend 11 centre bounces for 0 clearances
Crippa 29 for 0
Cerra 25 for 2
Walsh 25 for 2
Dow 9 for 3 clearances
How does that work?
Buts let’s keep rolling thru the same centre set up
TDK did not help the problem

Combination of coaching - we’re getting smashed in the rucks - direct players to rove to the opposition ruckman, or are our players “too dumb” to work this out for themselves.

De Goey? He's more of a liability in the midfield than an asset. I don't think they've missed him much.

The Pie midfield was absolutely smashed on the weekend and they still won. Strategic moves and backing themselves won the game, nothing else.

After doing some assessment on the Melb/Pie game (don’t ask) it was clear that at halftime the numbers were so heavily waited towards Melb that they should have been up by 40+ (poor kicking) 60+ (good kicking). As they weren’t, the Pies brains trust rolled the dice.

1. Daicos/others played 25m off the back of stoppage, ran through and hit pack at top speed. Melb played loose man out the back as well but didn’t impact stoppage, tried to intercept but was caught in no mans land 6 times in 2nd half. Pies +7 for I50’s on the back of this.

Pie kicks from D50 or along the wing were ALL changed to 45angle kicks, none down the line until the last 2 mins. Destroyed Melb rebound game and took Gawn/May/Lever out of the contest. In turn created angles for the I50 kick.

These Pies kids went for kicks that seasoned footballers just wouldn’t even try, why, they’re young and have no fear and they are allowed to take the kick, even if it goes wrong. 16 in total outside of their game style.

Clubs now know the 25 rule for Pies and can counter the 45 kick. Pies went all in to get a top4 spot and see what happens in the finals…

Dees and Cats learnt plenty from that game, so did we!

Last edited:
Back