Review Dogs scrape home against Oranges 62-57

Remove this Banner Ad

Another tactically inept game which started with the mind boggling decision to play Martin who has no right being anywhere near an afl field this year and the absolute refusal to adjust the retreating defence whenever the opposition gains possession in their defensive 50. My best guess is the sides setting up to stop a team handball if their way through but sides in the second half of the year have realised if you kick the ball option will always open up due to the bulldogs doing nothing guarding grass.

Richards was great again, he along with Smith were the only players who had some urgency with the ball even though Smith still can’t kick inside 50.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Correct, Why start McRae on the bench. Baffling and not even funny

The corpse of Stef Martin doesn’t count as support anymore.

As limited as Sweet is, I’d be content for him in as support. At least he’ll give some presence in ruck duels and is young enough that there could still be some upside. They don’t trust him, which is understandable, but no support is a better option than thinking Stef Martin can win back the clock to 2019.
Pretending that Sweet would have offered more just has no grounding in reality. They split responsibilities in the VFL recently, same time ruck recently in the same game in the same conditions playing almost identical periods of time forward and ruck, and Martin wad clearly, demonstratively better. Not "ah Martin was better" but one was near BOG and the other had a poor game. This has been pretty consistent over the course of this season and last.

People can't purport to want to reward form, or not to "play favourites" with selection and then defend the selection of Sweet for this game.

I get that bringing in Martin to play 60% TOG and do not much is a bit pointless, but that means if all our English ruck support options are so poor then we don't "need" to give English support like people are calling for which is my original point.

Maybe Sweet as the better pure tap ruck would make more sense for selection if English was not going to be the first ruck taking the vast majority of contests but he is and we have to accept that as our rigid structures in selection.

The question mark is on Stef's fitness, not ability relative to Sweet.

It’s just sad though, this team always made mistakes but we had an identity about us - we never lost contested ball, we were hard at the man hard at the ball.

What on earth are we trying to do rn, it’s just beyond belief - this team is nothing, there was nothing positive about the way we played today, genuinely sickening
We won though lol, that’s actually a positive, especially when all we do is have to watch.
How isn’t winning a positive?

I’m assuming you are rising through the local ranks of lower league coaching, on your journey to being a professional, and I seriously can’t wait for the day you make it.
The “consensus” will be you are the greatest,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretending that Sweet would have offered more just has no grounding in reality. They split responsibilities in the VFL recently, same time ruck recently in the same game in the same conditions playing almost identical periods of time forward and ruck, and Martin wad clearly, demonstratively better. Not "ah Martin was better" but one was near BOG and the other had a poor game. This has been pretty consistent over the course of this season and last.

People can't purport to want to reward form, or not to "play favourites" with selection and then defend the selection of Sweet for this game.

I get that bringing in Martin to play 60% TOG and do not much is a bit pointless, but that means if all our English ruck support options are so poor then we don't "need" to give English support like people are calling for which is my original point.

Maybe Sweet as the better pure tap ruck would make more sense for selection if English was not going to be the first ruck taking the vast majority of contests but he is and we have to accept that as our rigid structures in selection.

The question mark is on Stef's fitness, not ability relative to Sweet.
We were lucky Pruess was out and for that matter Flynn

Our ruck situation is embarrassing.

Are our mids taking less chances because they know every turnover will be punished in a goal due to our defenders inability to defend one out??

Why do we not play on from a mark anymore??!!
Our mids just look completely spent.
We’ve never been an obviously quick team but we are painfully slow at the moment all over the park.

Correct, Why start McRae on the bench. Baffling and not even funny
McRae was terrible last week and worthy of being dropped if he wasn’t excellent the previous 170 games. I thought he was only marginally better today. Any momentum we have is lost when the ball is passed to him, as he stops, props and kicks the ball 12 metres to a bloke in no better a position than Jack originally was.

McRae was terrible last week and worthy of being dropped if he wasn’t excellent the previous 170 games. I thought he was only marginally better today. Any momentum we have is lost when the ball is passed to him, as he stops, props and kicks the ball 12 metres to a bloke in no better a position than Jack originally was.

He used to shake and bake; now he stops and props.

MMM gave smith, Dale and Himmelberg. Was at the game and Ed Richards was far ahead of everyone else not funny. Amatuer effort by MMM. Only go on stats.
Smith and Dale were both very important, but yeah, I'd probably have Richards as our best.

Some thoughts

Even though it didn’t go his way Jamarra has arrived and looks great
Ed Richards is our best player
Vandermeer is probably our worst
Cordy was great
McLean next week would be nice
GWS always try some stupid s**t when they play us, they could have won this game but chose to chip it around the backline

Remove this Banner Ad

Back