Player Watch Liam McMahon (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

My take is that we've finally become clued in to a talls role being innately physically competitive and thus non-combative, mobile, skinny guys aren't the way to go.

exactly.... part-time talls are out. Undersized and underweighted....

I think a number of people on this forum have seen that we havent been investing in tall strong footballers. Sydney has the mccartins, sam reid that they can throw in there, nick blakey who is 195..... we have darcy moore. And then we're playing a half fit maynard to stand buddy franklin.

What use is a skinny bloke with not much body strength in all of this. By all means recruit the dozen or so half backs that we apparently need, just get a few KEY position defenders and forwards.

ok i feel better now

It seems curious as he was recruited as a slow burn type and has been making improvements this year as you would think a project player would. Surely the combo of McMahon and Kelly have a better chance than Kelly and Frampton of yielding one best 22. Are we going quick fix rather than longterm.

Slow burn with what potential maximum upside? Is he ever going to be a star? How long do we wait? Slightly different circumstances but we waited an eternity for The Berg for very little return and he was much more highly credentialed than McMahon.

Hine of late has been pretty good with mature players - Checkers, Johnson and possibly Dean and even Cox. Not so much the raw young talls.

Surely Leppa has had an input in the decision - just like he would have with McStay crossing over.

Slow burn with what potential maximum upside? Is he ever going to be a star? How long do we wait? Slightly different circumstances but we waited an eternity for The Berg for very little return and he was much more highly credentialed than McMahon.

Hine of late has been pretty good with mature players - Checkers, Johnson and possibly Dean and even Cox. Not so much the raw young talls.

Surely Leppa has had an input in the decision - just like he would have with McStay crossing over.

i posted a few days back a quote from mcstay after leppa left brisbane...and about how much leppa wanted him to be a defender and he wanted to be a forward....

well he might have learnt a lesson over the last few years...he might be returning to the backline...remember that you heard it from me first

Has there been any indication he’s a chance to be re rookies or is that just wishful thinking?

The statement on the clubs website makes me think we’ve seen the last of him.

Wishful thinking… or logical/wishful thinking considering in recent years the pies have delisted and re-rookied Chugg, Oxley…

Mind you, given those examples… the delisting and re-rookie route seems to only delay the inevitable

Wishful thinking… or logical/wishful thinking considering in recent years the pies have delisted and re-rookied Chugg, Oxley…

Mind you, given those examples… the delisting and re-rookie route seems to only delay the inevitable
When they were delisted there was at least an indication that they’d be picked up in the clubs statement. I haven’t seen any such indication so far with McMahon.

We've actually only done it when we've had space on the rookie list and had father sons incoming so we were creating fake list spots for extra matching points. We'll have one rookie spot available and no father sons incoming. There is absolutely no reason to do it. If we wanted to give him another year, we wouldn't have delisted him.

We've actually only done it when we've had space on the rookie list and had father sons incoming so we were creating fake list spots for extra matching points. We'll have one rookie spot available and no father sons incoming. There is absolutely no reason to do it. If we wanted to give him another year, we wouldn't have delisted him.
We may have wanted to move him to the rookie list so we could take the required 3 picks in the National draft but I doubt it.

To be delisted I would assume no club is interested in him or the club doesn't expect any interest.
I'm a little surprised he wasn't at least given another year. But, obviously the club weren't exactly satisfied with how he was progressing.

Still a bit baffled by this

I said at the start of the year that McMahon was a candidate to be delisted (and was predictably potted for saying it)… cause he was nowhere near it as a forward

That’s before his year in the VFL though…

4F27E6B9-C705-437A-BB3D-B666BC6E9964.jpeg

These are very solid numbers for a 20 year old kid who has barely played down back.

Yes Liam is too light on to ever be a fullback… but his defending showed promise, he is 198cm and athletic and a decent left foot kick out of defence

Compare that to Kelly… who originated as a defender (before his forward ambitions) and has been on the list 4 years now

8F60A759-6F6A-4942-BFBF-8468FFF99D37.jpeg

What’s more madgen is still on the list 🤷‍♀️

Hopefully Liam plays some good state league footy and gets another shot at it down the track when he’s filled out a bit more

Still a bit baffled by this

I said at the start of the year that McMahon was a candidate to be delisted (and was predictably potted for saying it)… cause he was nowhere near it as a forward

That’s before his year in the VFL though…

View attachment 1514024

These are very solid numbers for a 20 year old kid who has barely played down back.

Yes Liam is too light on to ever be a fullback… but his defending showed promise, he is 198cm and athletic and a decent left foot kick out of defence

Compare that to Kelly… who originated as a defender (before his forward ambitions) and has been on the list 4 years now

View attachment 1514026

What’s more madgen is still on the list 🤷‍♀️

Hopefully Liam plays some good state league footy and gets another shot at it down the track when he’s filled out a bit more
I’m not sure these stats are a good reflection of a key defenders performance.

I’m not sure these stats are a good reflection of a key defenders performance.

For mine they are… McMahon only played down back from rd 2 VFL onwards… he’s performed quite well then for a rookie defender

Plenty of upside once he has a couple of more years down back and puts on 5-7kg

I see less upside in Kelly who is at his physical peak and already 4 years in the system

Like a lot of others this was the delisting that really surprised me. When first drafted I thought finally we may have a key forward. Unfortunately didn’t show much up forward, after seeing nearly every VFL game this year i think he did quite well in the backline. Nice hands and a decent kick, I would like to know the reason for the delisting. I mean we gave the Browns years before finally realising they weren’t good enough. Suppose they did play AFL where it seems Liam may have been along way off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For mine they are… McMahon only played down back from rd 2 VFL onwards… he’s performed quite well then for a rookie defender

I see less upside in Kelly who is at his physical peak and already 4 years in the system
They don’t tell us much except they could find the ball.

genuinely shocked that he was delisted, even more so that Kelly is still there ahead of him

Kelly's difference between his best and worst is astronomical, usually within the same play
McMahon on the other looked to be developing nicely, he had to add a bit more bulk to his frame, but he looked like he was one big pre season away from making an impact. what is he 20, 21?

Unless Kelly has finally found the mongrel/hyper competitiveness DNA from his father - then I think you're 100% correct we dumped the wrong guy.

genuinely shocked that he was delisted, even more so that Kelly is still there ahead of him

Kelly's difference between his best and worst is astronomical, usually within the same play
McMahon on the other looked to be developing nicely, he had to add a bit more bulk to his frame, but he looked like he was one big pre season away from making an impact. what is he 20, 21?

Maybe McMahon had a poor attitude whilst Kelly was working hard behind the scenes?

At the end of last year I thought he was a bust and would have agreed with his delisting. As even the attempts to change his position were only a thinly veiled attempt to see if he had anything they could use.

He surprised me though, with his progress in the defensive line. Still not up to playing a role in the AFL but at least there were positive signs. His assets were his kicking. It was elite in comparison to others we have in the VFL. He had penetration and could spoil at 198cm. But his man marking was ordinary. And he needed another 8-10kg to be AFL ready.

Unfortunately for McMahon he is a victim of the times. No longer are teams able to put the 3/4 years into developing players and hoping they’ll get something from them. Unless they show signs in the first two years and play games. They are done now. Look at Rantall. He had even less time. Especially with the MSD. You can pick up 22-24 year olds playing in the WAFL/SANFL/VFL as automatic fill ins without lifting a finger in development.

I hope the kid gets rookied. But I won’t be holding my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately for McMahon he is a victim of the times. No longer are teams able to put the 3/4 years into developing players and hoping they’ll get something from them. Unless they show signs in the first two years and play games. They are done now. Look at Rantall. He had even less time. Especially with the MSD. You can pick up 22-24 year olds playing in the WAFL/SANFL/VFL as automatic fill ins without lifting a finger in development.

I hope the kid gets rookied. But I won’t be holding my breath.

I think we'll start seeing less of these really speculative kids getting drafted. The draft will run shallower with 18 year olds with more mature agers taken.

I think this is the first year when clubs should have looked at drafting Tyler Brown - as it's the first time that he'd become a good player at a lower level. And I think noone should have looked at MacMahon yet.

I think we had 2 "project" talls in McMahon & Begg & it would seem the club thinks Begg has more potential upside.
We can't really afford to have too many project players on the list.
That's what cat B is for.

I think we had 2 "project" talls in McMahon & Begg & it would seem the club thinks Begg has more potential upside.
We can't really afford to have too many project players on the list.
That's what cat B is for.
Maybe they finally realised begg should be a full back

I think we'll start seeing less of these really speculative kids getting drafted. The draft will run shallower with 18 year olds with more mature agers taken.

I think this is the first year when clubs should have looked at drafting Tyler Brown - as it's the first time that he'd become a good player at a lower level. And I think noone should have looked at MacMahon yet.
For late picks, we really should only go for them if they’re ready to play like McCreery or supremely talented like Ginnivan. There no point in having 10 players on your list between 18 and 20 who aren’t AFL relevant.

I’d go further and say Bianco should only be looked at now and Murley should have clubs looking at him in a couple of years.

Had the club known we’d be a point away from a grand final I think our list management strategy would have been different. I’d have only taken 3 in the National draft in Daicos one of Draper or Harrison and Dean in the National draft instead of the rookie draft filled the rest of the list with mature age depth.

I was shocked that they took Liam in 2020. I watched a lot of him playing in the NAB and never saw that he was even ready. Yeah I can understand the speculative nature. But he was never ready. I’d say that if he was given another 3 years you might have something as a KPD.

Maybe they could have tried him on a wing. His mate Nick Cox was similar in stature and both were pretty mobile in the NAB. But I guess clubs sometimes pigeon hole kids into what they need and don’t see the outside the box things.

Just like Henry. I watched that kid destroy opposition teams. Both in the guts as a mid and then a resting forward. Would kick bags of 4/5 goals in some games. We haven’t given him any time in the middle. Just like McCreery.

Hopefully next year we’ll change that.

He was one of ten players drafted in 2020 ( including the 2021 midseason draft) . That’s almost a quarter of our list turned over due to our salary cap debacle.

That’s an lot of darts to throw at the dartboard. Some are going to miss, especially as it was a blind draft to some extent with no junior football in 2020.

That said I’m surprised they have moved him on after only two years, one of them vfl restricted….at a time when we are lacking talls. Club knows best of course but it seems harsh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back