Coach Rank your best Coaches, of the current lot end of 2022, excluding Ratten!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Now Ratten is about to be sacked.

Just wondering what people think about the coaches going around.

I am not sure but i think Longmire, Mcrae and Scott stand out for mine

After that it is a bit harder I think.

Not sure on Clarko, good coach but had a good team of players.

More curious what others think about the coaches going around

1. C Scott
2. Hardwick
3. Longmire
4. Clarkson*
5. McRae
6. Goodwin
7. Simpson
8. Longmuir
9. Fagan*
10. Voss
11. Beveridge
12. B Scott
13. Mitchell
14. Dew
15. Kinglsey
16. Nicks
17. Kingsley

Great - Hardwick, C Scott, Clarkson
Good - Macrae, S Mitchell, Longmire
Average - Nicks, Fagan, Voss, B Scott, Longmuir, Dew
Poor - Goodwin, Simpson, Beveridge, Hinkley
Unknown - Kingsley

To me, a good coach wins premierships and losses home and away.

Is this why Ratten was sacked? Did not lose enough and was Noble a hidden gen of a coach?

Mitchell might be the next very good coach but too early to tell. At least it looks like he has a plan and is not looking short term.

Some coaches change over time and fall in love with their players. Some are not prepared to go done to the well after a victory lap either

I think a lot depends on the support cast and how they can identify talent and develop talent and bring them in at value

Great: Clarkson, Longmire, Simpson, Hardwick.
Good: McRae, Beveridge, Goodwin, Fagan, Longmuir.
Average: C. Scott, B. Scott, Nicks, Dew, Mitchell, Voss.

what a strange time to sack a coach, especially with the unknown competition in the market if things don't go well in the review of clarkson and fagan

If they had a coaching problem, why not keep him for the duration and get to number one draft picks then dump him?

Not sure what Saints are trying to achieve? Extended no mans land?

I look at that nose and how its changed. I'd punt health issues

Hinkley is a funny one. I don't think the list has been quiet good enough, not sure Hinkley has realised this but getting the youngsters in and now JHF was smart.

I feel Adelaide is a little like Sydney where they do not let you bottom out enough to get the talent in.

Port might have to be like West Coast and target a few more locals or players less likely to shift but I don;t think you have had a problem with players leaving anyway

In my opinion Nicks is average at best. I wanted Yze last time we appointed a coach.

This is why I created the thread because clubs own supporters would have a better idea how they think their coaches are really going. I don't know about Nicks. No coach is perfect and they can develop in the role, he is dependent on the players but people closer to the club have a better idea how the players are developing and improving etc..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hinkley is a funny one. I don't think the list has been quiet good enough, not sure Hinkley has realised this but getting the youngsters in and now JHF was smart.

I feel Adelaide is a little like Sydney where they do not let you bottom out enough to get the talent in.

Port might have to be like West Coast and target a few more locals or players less likely to shift but I don;t think you have had a problem with players leaving anyway

the problem with port port is we have forgotten what we existed for. "we exist to win premierships" was once above the entrance gate.

the reason for this divergence, is we nearly went bankrupt and the infamous tarps in our dark days. To avoid this, port has played it safe with tweaking rebuilds rather than wholesale rebuilds.

As a result we are there abouts but never a real chance for a flag. I blame this on the coach and more so on those above him.

We aren't a chance this year without a full back but I do like that we are shifting away from a too slow a midfield (boak, wines, drew) to one that has bulls and pace (wines, SPP, rozee, butters, JHF, Sinn).

By 2024 our ruck issue is hopefully resolved with either Visentini, Hayes, Teakle or other standing up; a full back being recruited and another KPF.

the problem with port port is we have forgotten what we existed for. "we exist to win premierships" was once above the entrance gate.

the reason for this divergence, is we nearly went bankrupt and the infamous tarps in our dark days. To avoid this, port has played it safe with tweaking rebuilds rather than wholesale rebuilds.

As a result we are there abouts but never a real chance for a flag. I blame this on the coach and more so on those above him.

We aren't a chance this year without a full back but I do like that we are shifting away from a too slow a midfield (boak, wines, drew) to one that has bulls and pace (wines, SPP, rozee, butters, JHF, Sinn).

By 2024 our ruck issue is hopefully resolved with either Visentini, Hayes, Teakle or other standing up; a full back being recruited and another KPF.

Some of you players are not good enough. Without naming names a few of the players just are not quiet at the required level.

Richmond have a few players overrated by our fans to. I think we have a better list but our stars are getting older, our depth is not what it used to be.

Port are a little in between, have some handy players with young guns like JHF and Rozee Port are caught between generations a little but a few clubs a like that and we are looking down that barrel in a few years to possibly.

With 18 teams its hard to avoid a compromise here and there

Hard gig given we don't have specific criteria to work with.

If it is vague then people will likely go with some form of biased hierarchy such as premierships > high profile > reasonable recent home and away success. It also makes it inherently skewed against coaches that may be very fine coaches but haven't had the list or had off-field issues or a broken pre-season that skews it.

Bit more interesting if it was broken down into specific categories.

For example, longevity has to be Chris Scott.

Premierships it is Clarko and Hardwick.

Player relationships It might be Beveridge.

If this is career wise until 2022 then:

1. Hardwick
2. Scott
3. Longmire
4. Beverage
5. Simpson
6. Fagan

Blanket over the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You have all got it badly wrong. It's Adam Simpson, by a country mile.

Took a premiership side in five years of mediocrity to second last on the ladder, and convinces the club to sign him on for another two years!

That is some 4D chess right there.

12 months ago Cats fans were chomping at the bit to have him sacked.

Amazing what can change in a year.

I've always been on the Chris Scott bandwagon; I've gotten so much s**t for defending him in previous years :p But you are right, supporters are just fickle.

1. Dimma
2. C Scott
3. Longmire
4. Goodwin
5. Clarkson *
6. Macrae
7.Longmuir
8. Simpson
9. Bevo
10. Voss
11. B Scott
12. S Mitchell
13. Dew
14. Hinkley
15. Nicks
16 Fagan

* Kingsley not included but think he will be good.

Chris Scott has Kardinia Park free wins and a poor finals record, Fagan and Clarkson bully Indigenous players and are criminal.

😂😂😂😂

Mention number 72848362748 that he wins more away than almost any other coach wins at home.

He has an extra flag to Longmire and an almost identical finals percentage and gets less games at his home ground than Longmire gets at his. At least try and pretend like you believe what you’re saying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back