List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
H and C get doubled constantly because the opposition know their can zone off with confidence there is nobody else who’ll hurt them on the scoreboard.
I agree, all our other forwards have very little 'hurt factor', except Martin when uninjured and switched on.
He can't be ignored by opposing teams, and at least tackles with intent and is capable of marking.(he just needs to snag a few early to build confidence)
If the interchange number is increased to allow Pitto and TDK dual game time, then Kemp will really apply pressure on JSOS for 3rd tall forward.

Breust? Terrific player. Would have loved to pick him up this off season, wasted at the Hawks now.

I reckon there’s a conversation to be had with Breust at the end of next year if we don’t see real improvement in output from our small forward brigade next season.

The goal posts have changed at Hawthorn considerably since he extended his contract so if the Hawks really bottom out (as many expect now Mitchell, OMeara and Gunston are gone) I think he might be amenable to a move to a team “in the window”.

I just hope we show the football world we are “in the window” next season with a deep finals run.

IMO, we don’t need any more small medium forwards. We have a plethora that need to be either developed or moved on in the next couple of years. What we need now is one or 2 KP forwards (ideally who can ruck) and some running midfielders with speed who can carry and distribute. Priority this draft.

We already have 2 of the best 6 key position forwards in the league. Most clubs are lucky to have 1. How many do you want?

Agree you make some concrete observation, but wining the contested ball & creative, quality delivery into the forward line is crucial, it’s always been the game right there.
We have the skilled fwd aerialist and some magic at there feet in Martin, Durdin & Motlop just that our youngsters need a little time.
I reckon quality distribution for the wings and midfielders in general can improve , its a little wanting.
All the little things make a difference. You would hope that guys like O'Brien improve and find more of the ball and that Acres will have a strong impact which he should. There are a lot of boxes for this team to tick just yet.

Our list is not, I repeat not balanced. I suggest you review the list, even try placing players where they could play and see where the depth holes are.
To be fair, most teams are not fully balanced, even the Cats.

e.g. You can look at their team and say that they don’t have a decent ruckman - but, they just made it work.

Our list is good enough to be top4 & go deep in the finals in 2023. What we need is more team cohesion & some better luck with injuries - as per the Lions 2021 thanks :D

Last edited:
We already have 2 of the best 6 key position forwards in the league. Most clubs are lucky to have 1. How many do you want?

If Harry or Charlie, go down for an extended period, we don't have a single back up option, no youth developing, no mature age option.

Unless of course we decide to throw Young forward and call up S Durdin as a defender

Doesn't have to be with a pointy end pick, it could be a development type, or a cheap mature age type

Last edited:
If Harry or Charlie, go down for an extended period, we don't have a single back up option, no youth developing, no mature age option.

Unless of course we decide to through Young forward and call up S Durdin as a defender

Doesn't have to be with a pointy end pick, it could be a development type, or a cheap mature age type
I would take Scully @ 49. Is he a reach @ 29?

To be fair, most teams are not fully balanced, even the Cats.

e.g. You can look at their team and say that they don’t have a decent ruckman - but, they just make it work.

Our list is good enough to be top4 & go deep in the finals in 2023. What we need is more team cohesion & some better luck with injuries - as per the Lions 2021 thanks :D
Knock on wood but if Charlie or McKay go down for a long period of time.
Who is our next 195cm KP forward after them? Who is developing behind them?
We have SoS, TDK and Kemp - yet latter two aren’t KP forwards.
Do we have a gap? You bet.

Now quick review of positions, taking into account some can play multiple roles.

Key forwards - Charlie, McKay, JSoS
Small forwards - Martin, Durdin, Owies, Motlop, Honey ..... flower let’s get some more.
Inside Midfielders - Crippa, Kennedy, Hewett, Dow, Fogarty, EdCurnow
Outside Mids - Cerra, Walsh (can play both), Acres, O’Brien, Cuningham
Half Forwards - Fisher, Cottrell, Carroll, Philp - can add a Martin, Cuningham or Durdin here as well.
KP defenders - Weitering, Young, SDurdin, Marchbank
Mid defenders - McGovern, Kemp, Plowman
Small defenders - Saad, Docherty, Williams, Boyd
Rucks - Pittonet, TDK, Mircov

Team overview (debatable I’m sure):
Williams Young McGovern
Docherty Weitering Saad
Acres Cripps Cerra
Martin CCurnow Fisher
Silvagni McKay CDurdin
Pittonet Hewett Walsh
Kennedy Newman Motlop De Koning

Plowman SDurdin Akuei(int)
Boyd Marchbank Philp
Carroll ECurnow O’Brien
Cuningham Kemp Honey
............ ............ Owies
Mirkov Dow Fogarty
Cottrell ........... ............. ............

I’m going to let it be after this but considering some believe Marchbank, JSoS or Kemp aren’t KP players ....... well.

Now quick review of positions, taking into account some can play multiple roles.

Small forwards - Martin, Durdin, Owies, Motlop, Honey ..... flower let’s get some more.
Half Forwards - Fisher, Cottrell, Carroll, Philp - can add a Martin, Cuningham or Durdin here as well.

Williams Young McGovern
Docherty Weitering Saad
Acres Cripps Cerra
Martin CCurnow Fisher
Silvagni McKay CDurdin
Pittonet Hewett Walsh

Boyd Marchbank Philp
Carroll ECurnow O’Brien
Cuningham Kemp Honey
Mirkov Dow Fogarty

I’m going to let it be after this but considering some believe Marchbank, JSoS or Kemp aren’t KP players ....... well.
It’s a problem but most sides would be pretty similar.
I think a make shift forward line of one of Curnow or Harry, TDK and SOS/Kemp can still easily work.
It would probably be similar to or better then 6 of the last 7 premiership sides

Last edited:

Williams Young McGovern
Docherty Weitering Saad
Acres Cripps Cerra
Martin CCurnow Fisher
Silvagni McKay CDurdin
Pittonet Hewett Walsh

Boyd Marchbank Philp
Carroll ECurnow O’Brien
Cuningham Kemp Honey
Mirkov Dow Fogarty

Ok - I’ll stop too after this

Who has Geelong got after Hawkins & Cameron?
Sydney if buddy retired instead of playing on? MacDonald & ???
Melb Brown & TMac?

C’mon no sides are perfect, with perfect backups too

Ok - I’ll stop too after this

Who has Geelong got after Hawkins & Cameron?
Sydney if buddy retired instead of playing on? MacDonald & ???
Melb Brown & TMac?

C’mon no sides are perfect, with perfect backups too

Just looking at the Premiers - the have Esava with Neal and Tsapatslis developing.
Not saying they are good or ready but they are there, especially Esava.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless of course we decide to throw Young forward and call up S Durdin as a defender

TDK could be an emergency option.

Just looking at the Premiers - the have Esava with Neal and Tsapatslis developing.
Not saying they are good or ready but they are there, especially Esava.
Really, you have Esava ahead of TDK?

BTW - I’m not saying don’t plan ahead…

But, credit where credit’s due. The list management team collectively have delivered the best list that I can remember for us in a long long time.

It’s now up to the coaches to deliver - as we’ve got the players to challenge any oppositions

Bring on 2023

Our list is not, I repeat not balanced. I suggest you review the list, even try placing players where they could play and see where the depth holes are.

I understand what you are saying but I would counter that by saying in H and C we have the 2 key forwards to win a flag already so throwing more draft capital at another is a waste IMO. Drafting an 18 year old is a good idea long term but it won’t help us much in the next 2-3 years if we have an issue with the incumbents. What we need is a ready made back up key position player who can play a meaningful role for a team contending for a flag.

Finding a ready made back up will not be easy to recruit for as they are unlikely to play much at senior level so we need to target a delisted type who’s happy to get an AFL lifeline, someone like Sproule or a lower league guy like Greene or Keitel. It’s not realistic to think we can have 3 quality key forwards on the list - no other club does - so we just need a ready made back or options like swinging Young forward with S Durds covering down back or playing TDK forward.

I agree, all our other forwards have very little 'hurt factor', except Martin when uninjured and switched on.
He can't be ignored by opposing teams, and at least tackles with intent and is capable of marking.(he just needs to snag a few early to build confidence)
If the interchange number is increased to allow Pitto and TDK dual game time, then Kemp will really apply pressure on JSOS for 3rd tall forward.
Take Hawks in their hey day as a case in point. Franklin and Roughhead to our Charlie and McKay, that's fine. They then had Rioli and Puppolo, Gunston and Bruest. They also rotated Shiel across hf as well as a resting ruckman at times. We are a long way off a fraction of that sort of supporting fire power across HFF and FP's.

Take Hawks in their hey day as a case in point. Franklin and Roughhead to our Charlie and McKay, that's fine. They then had Rioli and Puppolo, Gunston and Bruest. They also rotated Shiel across hf as well as a resting ruckman at times. We are a long way off a fraction of that sort of supporting fire power across HFF and FP's.
To be fair, they only had Franklin and Gunston together for 2 years, for 1 flag.
But I agree that a quick half forward/mid is our biggest need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back