List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wouldn't say Bell was really playing as a small forward.

Wicks, Sheather, Campbell can't get a game elsewhere so why not play him in his draft position, Sheldrick won't crack the midfield for a while, Gulden can play there.

You have just named 4 players who aren't small forwards. That would be like me saying we have Sam Reid, Hayden McLean and Tom McCartin so we are set for Ruck and Key Forward positions. Just because a player can play there doesn't mean they should.

I think you've got to take some risks to avoid holes in future. I expect some talls yet to be picked to have good careers. Just have to hope Konstanty outweighs that.

A 2-1 split is still on thought that was what you wanted. Does it matter what order we go? Konstanty was the best small forward in the draft

I agree with you on Ruck and Key Position Forward are our biggest needs and we can still address these with our remaining two picks but clearly, the club didn't rate the options available to us at Pick 20. Who knows what they will think of the options available to them at Pick 27 and 40.

Mids and KPD are lesser needs after the trade and draft moves we have made over the last two years (Sheldrick, Roberts, McCartin, Francis). Small Forward is higher on the basis of the need as we are basically Papley and Wicks at that position then we start playing other players out of position who are projected to play elsewhere and have no plan for the future which we have now addressed.
We've done pretty well at playing mids into the forward line. I disagree that Wicks and Paps are our only small fwds.

I doubt the club had all the ruck and KPF options rated around 20-30 as further out, but if we address at least a ruck before drafts end, that would be good.

We've done pretty well at playing mids into the forward line. I disagree that Wicks and Paps are our only small fwds.

I doubt the club had all the ruck and KPF options rated around 20-30 as further out, but if we address at least a ruck before drafts end, that would be good.

So who are these small forwards? Campbell isn’t one and Wicks is fortunate to be on the list. That leaves Paps, Sheather, and a 6 foot 3 HHK..

What's the deal with the trade with the Hawks? Are we eyeing someone next season, or didn't rate this current draft around our picks? Seems like a strange trade...

1. More points for our academy boys
2. Hawks second next year is better than this years class.

3 highly rated ruck or KPF we could still take, that's what I'm hoping for. Barnett, Gruzewski, Keeler. Otherwise Hustwaite.

Also I'll repeat again, I'm looking beyond 2023.
I think the recruiters are too.
We will still use 3 picks this year, plus
We now have two extra picks next year, and
We have academy picks next year apparently too.

I thought tonight was beautiful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I loved the bids just to trade if Dodo pulled these tricks I don't think we'd be saying such nice things
The bid on Rowston was brilliant. I believe we would have been more than happy to take him had the Giants not matched but considering they did, it took away the pick they would have had before our next. Win/Win.
Twomey actually predicted that we would bid on Michelanney so it was not totally unexpected. He was ranked in the high teens/low 20s and there have been many here saying that we needed a lock down defender. But best of all, it was great to stick it up Adelaide after they shafted us with the Dawson deal.

Konstanty was playing soccer up to a couple of years ago. His scope for improvement would have to be pretty high.
If it's not basketball, nobody in the AFL will be interested. Guy could have been a sumo till two years ago, wouldn't matter. Basketball though....did you hear Pendles used to play?

You have just named 4 players who aren't small forwards. That would be like me saying we have Sam Reid, Hayden McLean and Tom McCartin so we are set for Ruck and Key Forward positions. Just because a player can play there doesn't mean they should.
Righto. I don't have an arbitrary height limit, so Sheather at a gigantic 185 can absolutely fit. Campbell was a small forward, who then got mid time and now we play him anywhere but. Gulden was also a small fwd / mid who got more and more mid time. Sheldrick's going to have to play somewhere.

We've always played some mids up forward, to good effect. I'd rather play a mid/fwd there than have to ruck McAndrew or have no KPF/KPD depth in a year or two.

Looking at draft and some names available (not that it seems to matter for KB and Dal)

Hotton - small mid
Burgiel - mid
Cowan - HBF
Barnett - ruck
George - fwd/mid
Ryan - tall utility
Hayes - KPD
Gruzewski - KPF/KPD
Hustwaite - Tall mid
Keeler - KPD
Van Es - KPD

Kinda expect more trades for 27

I think we have got 6th pick of the night so should still get a decent player. Looks like a variety of type of players. So we may still go best available.

Barnett - best ruck (but some other club desperate for a ruck may live trade ahead of us)
Hayes - tall longer term defensive prospect
George - maybe less likely to pick him since we picked Konstanty but it would be a bargain to get him at pick 27
Cowan - half back flanker/ medium defender who we were linked with
Hotton/Hustwaite/Burgiel/Szybkowski - Presumably the highest rated mids still available
Ryan - half back flanker that Collingwood were expected to get with pick 16
Gruzewski - Spectacular marking defender/forward

That's what the picks look like If the Hawks finish around 16th. So it is defo overs. If that 2nd rounder we got is the doggies and not the hawks it probably evens out a bit more from both ends, but gee I am pretty content with this.
picks.PNG

A 2-1 split is still on thought that was what you wanted. Does it matter what order we go? Konstanty was the best small forward in the draft
No it doesn't really matter if we fill the needs. But given we haven't selected the obligatory mid or two yet, I suspect we may not.

Righto. I don't have an arbitrary height limit, so Sheather at a gigantic 185 can absolutely fit. Campbell was a small forward, who then got mid time and now we play him anywhere but. Gulden was also a small fwd / mid who got more and more mid time. Sheldrick's going to have to play somewhere.

We've always played some mids up forward, to good effect. I'd rather play a mid/fwd there than have to ruck McAndrew or have no KPF/KPD depth in a year or two.
I don't get your assertion that we don't have KPD depth.
Ages in 2023

P MacCartin(27)
T McCartin(23)
A Francis(26)
W Gould(22)
L Melican(26)

Beetson even said on radio yesterday we are OK there, but need more KPF.

No it doesn't really matter if we fill the needs. But given we haven't selected the obligatory mid or two yet, I suspect we may not.

We will take a mid at one pick and address a need with the other. I’d also be happy with Hotton and Hustwaithe though. 27 to get Barnett is ideal though. Best small at 42. Could go either way

Just based purely on list age, Hawthorn are a bottom 3 side next season.
Yep I have them a bottom 5

So their will be very decent pics we just acquired

Will give use even chance to swap picks nxt year for 24 when we have Cochrane KPF - who could be top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back