Training Preseason 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

100% thought he looked a bit chubby today. Compare his physique to that of Trac and Clarry(who looks very slim). Gus been enjoying that chunk of change he got last year for sure. Surprising he hasn't come back fitter than ever when he wants to be in that midfield. Not surprising he spent a fair chunk of training just doing lap running.

100% thought he looked a bit chubby today. Compare his physique to that of Trac and Clarry(who looks very slim). Gus been enjoying that chunk of change he got last year for sure. Surprising he hasn't come back fitter than ever when he wants to be in that midfield. Not surprising he spent a fair chunk of training just doing lap running.
Even Sparrow looks ripped going off the MFC website photos.

How was Schache and Jefferson?

Overall skills Looked ok. An early drill had us running the ball through the square and trying to drill the leading forward. Mixed results but at least we're working on it.

Good to see they're just starting to work on things we did in the u15s

Don't kick it to where he is, kick to where he'll be 👌🏼

That s**t doesn't work in today's footy. Bomb to a crowded pocket Ftw

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'm assuming that this is a drill we've worked on a lot but we don't have many ball users who can hit leading targets at pace. There was high praise for those that hit the leading forward and vitriol from Goody/Lever/Gawn for those that missed by a fair margin. I guess it was just nice to see us at least working on an area of weakness. from what i saw the surprising thing was random blokes were nailing the kicks, like Dunstan, Gawn, Chandler, Howes. Bowey was super p***ed at himself when he missed a target at one stage.

I'm assuming that this is a drill we've worked on a lot but we don't have many ball users who can hit leading targets at pace. There was high praise for those that hit the leading forward and vitriol from Goody/Lever/Gawn for those that missed by a fair margin. I guess it was just nice to see us at least working on an area of weakness. from what i saw the surprising thing was random blokes were nailing the kicks, like Dunstan, Gawn, Chandler, Howes. Bowey was super p***ed at himself when he missed a target at one stage.
Not that surprised by Gawn doing ok with the kicks. I always feel he weights his kicks well for a leader to get to. As TK says it's not about drilling it to a blokes chest, but putting it where he'll be (or drawing him to the ball).

I feel like training kicks to blokes on the lead in space is useless.
We need to be training hitting 15m kicks from 60 out to a guy free in the 50. Those kicks with time and space are easy, we need to train the Spargo kick which is a quick angle change then a soft chip to someone who's drifted between zones

Not that surprised by Gawn doing ok with the kicks. I always feel he weights his kicks well for a leader to get to. As TK says it's not about drilling it to a blokes chest, but putting it where he'll be (or drawing him to the ball).
He doesn't have the long ball drop when he's short-kicking to a lead. His ball drop on set shots is that random 5-30 degrees off straight leading to those hooked kicks.

I feel like training kicks to blokes on the lead in space is useless.
We need to be training hitting 15m kicks from 60 out to a guy free in the 50. Those kicks with time and space are easy, we need to train the Spargo kick which is a quick angle change then a soft chip to someone who's drifted between zones
whynotbothgif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yikes. He’s looking pretty sloppy there. Just like me, if I lost an extra 10kgs.

Edit: there are some other pics with May where Brayshaw is looking slimmer. Maybe bad posture, or bad lighting…
I know what you mean, sometimes photos can be deceptive. I can only think that while exercising he's bloated up a bit, having said that I've never noticed this with 'fatracca' (as saints fans like to say to justify their pick) he runs around topless and you just see muscle on muscle. Maybe it's the groundkeeper Willie effect. 1673741214956.png
But to be honest he might just be a little bit higher on the fat percentage scale (still better than most people). At the end of the day it won't take long for him to get back in shape.

Was at training today. Few things i noticed...

Anyone hoping for Gus to the backline will be disappointed. Very much a part of the midfield group. Did a lot of running. Obviously trying to get miles in his legs.

Petty very much a part of defence. Looked really really solid.

Sparrow also very much a part of the mids too. Looked good as well.

Lever Looked back.to his best. One play in a srap match he set up a goal by a great intercept in the middle of the ground. Uses his voice better than anyone. Very encouraging and very hard on anyone not doing the right thing.

Clarry did Clarry things.

JVR looked good. Did some very nice things. TMac moved well up forward.

Hunter is very small.

The scratch match seemed to be red(main team) v White(Non best 22). The white team won with Dunstan, Chandler and JVR looking very solid. Max even cracked it at one stage and said wtf is going on! Seemed to get in a verbal with Hunter about something. Lever cracked it as well. Goody cracked it as well at one point.

Overall skills Looked ok. An early drill had us running the ball through the square and trying to drill the leading forward. Mixed results but at least we're working on it.

Enjoyed reading the part about our firsts getting beaten by Casey and everyone cracking it. #scorpionspirit

Enjoyed reading the part about our firsts getting beaten by Casey and everyone cracking it. #scorpionspirit
Yeah, I'd like to think of it as we have good depth :)

It was like 25 to 21 or something like that. Who knows. The team could have been trying different things. Gawn and Grundy (same team) were both at stoppages at certain times. But Gawny and Lever in particular were very vocal in telling everyone it wasn't good enough. My boys who are young and impressionable found Lever's language in particular quite amusing.

Yeah, I'd like to think of it as we have good depth :)

It was like 25 to 21 or something like that. Who knows. The team could have been trying different things. Gawn and Grundy (same team) were both at stoppages at certain times. But Gawny and Lever in particular were very vocal in telling everyone it wasn't good enough. My boys who are young and impressionable found Lever's language in particular quite amusing.

Bit of infighting and fat midfielders. Great start to the season. Feels like things are back to normal finally.

Everyone looking fit and hitting targets in January only sets you up for disappointment.
I want to see us coming into Round 1 off 35 consecutive scratch match losses to Casey and collectively weighing more than a pod of blue whales.

Everyone looking fit and hitting targets in January only sets you up for disappointment.
I want to see us coming into Round 1 off 35 consecutive scratch match losses to Casey and collectively weighing more than a pod of blue whales.
Yep. Being 10-0 ultimately did nothing for us last season. Its all about peaking leading into finals but winning enough games to be in a good position. Richmond did it perfectly well as did early 2000's Lions.

Bit of infighting and fat midfielders. Great start to the season. Feels like things are back to normal finally.
Do we have a history of fat midfielders? I only recall the infighting and the generally terrible part

Remove this Banner Ad

Back