Training Preseason 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get me wrong Johnny Karate I agree with most of what you said but the 10-0 ended up being bad for us imo. Made most of the league and potentially us think we were better than we were. Had we gone to the bye 8-4 or whenever it was we might have been looked at as more of a work in progress. The 10-0 made it seem like everything was fine and we were just chugging along.

Yeah I dunno, I reckon we'd have won a final if we had a nice and fit Brown/MacDonald combo.
Couldn't disagree more, we lost every single game except the Geelong game (who ended up being clearly better than us) in the same way. Start hot and fall away when the explosiveness from the middle dried up. One or two guys wouldn't have made a difference it was a team wide issue.

By the end of last year explosiveness from the middle was pretty much the only dominant asset we had, and that doesn't last a full game.

The year before we were also the best at defending, our intercept game was huge, and our transition game was good too.

Couldn't disagree more, we lost every single game except the Geelong game (who ended up being clearly better than us) in the same way. Start hot and fall away when the explosiveness from the middle dried up. One or two guys wouldn't have made a difference it was a team wide issue.
Yeah fair enough, I did say Goodwin being a numpty was one of the big issues. Gameplan well and truly figured out, predictable in attack, predictable in defence. Coaching let us down more than personnel or the players IMO.

Still, I reckon that Sydney game was closer than the final score indicates, and a fit Petracca and a key forward would have got us a win.

Agree.

We barely made team selections all year to try and mix it up.

Goody put blind faith in the same soldiers each week to the point where come finals we were completely cooked physically and mentally.

Even more frustrating was we had blokes playing in a VFL team that lost 1 game all year and were in super form but Goody's stubbornness in rewarding those blokes got the better of him.

From a team structure point of view, the coaching staff had zero plan B when the good sides worked us out in the 2nd half of the year. I honestly can't remember anything that made me think that Goody was at least trying something completely different. Wait, maybe with 5 minutes to go against Brisbane when our season had been pissed down the drain he then randomly decides to throw Petty forward.

Could not agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't get me wrong Johnny Karate I agree with most of what you said but the 10-0 ended up being bad for us imo. Made most of the league and potentially us think we were better than we were. Had we gone to the bye 8-4 or whenever it was we might have been looked at as more of a work in progress. The 10-0 made it seem like everything was fine and we were just chugging along.
I’m open to the idea that we were complacent and that being 7-3 or whatever having tried a few more things tactically or better managed players could’ve worked out better.
Weird thing about Goodwin's stubbornness wrt selection last year was that in 2021 we seemed really brave in that regard. Touch of arrogance, maybe.
A clear problem was that the side had become stale. We could’ve been more daring at selection but we didn’t get the same standard of form out of our role/fringe players from 21/22. Sparrow, ANB, Spargo, Rivers, Bowey etc all struggled last year. Hunter and Grundy playing decent footy as well as another preseason for Howes, Turner, Laurie, Woewodin, JVR will hopefully give us better options than Chandler, Mitch Brown, Weid, Tomlinson and Bedford did last year.

Weird thing about Goodwin's stubbornness wrt selection last year was that in 2021 we seemed really brave in that regard. Touch of arrogance, maybe.

Spot on, happy to leave Jones etc out. Yet for some reason wouldnt throw the kids in last year when it was apparent we were running on the spot.

Exactly.

Giving someone like Jake Bowey a go and dropping players like Ben Brown, Jones, Sparrow and Jordon when they didn't perform.

Last year?

Dead Silence GIF by Studios 2016

Goody backed in the premiership team barring Bowey. I mean I get it but we definitely needed to rotate the team a bit. Even rotating the CBAs would have been an idea. I’m really hoping Goody has some new ideas this year. Chuck Pickett in there a bit to.
I’m hearing training reports indicating we are focusing on some quick ball movement. So we’ll see if that can get going.

I’m seeing video of trac having shots on goal after training by himself . I’d surround him with people yelling and screaming while he is at it . Anyone can put them through when no one is watching .

I’m seeing video of trac having shots on goal after training by himself . I’d surround him with people yelling and screaming while he is at it . Anyone can put them through when no one is watching .
At least he's working on it. Impossible to replicate the pressure in a live game. What I'd like to see is an actual routine. Maybe Choco watching over him and making sure all the fundamentals are right and a routine is set in place. Ben Brown is a perfect example. Maybe even Ben can work with him? If he gets that right he becomes the #1 player in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think his issue has ever been nerves.

He can be the calmest person in the world until he sorts out his technique it won't do anything.
Chicken and the egg but I think his technique falls away horrifically because his brain is made of goo

For all of the talk of us falling into a hole in the second half of last year we should have still been in the preliminary final

That first final against Sydney was what killed us. That was a physical hard game that the loser was always going to struggle to back up the following week. Sydney literally bashed our midfielders

For all of the talk of us falling into a hole in the second half of last year we should have still been in the preliminary final

That first final against Sydney was what killed us. That was a physical hard game that the loser was always going to struggle to back up the following week. Sydney literally bashed our midfielders
We weren't that far off. We fix up our ball movement we'll be there abouts. Our defense is still solid. But god we were boring to watch last year with how we moved the ball. The club was desperate to get the crowd involved in the finals last year but there is no way the crowd is going to get going for long kicks down the line all ending up with a set shot from the foward pocket.

Not sure we can pin point Sydney as the game that cost us the finals.

The warning signs had been building well before the finals.

Simply, the good clubs worked us out. Our main issue was that we never had a plan B in place when those teams got a good run on.

Game plan became incredibly stale and one dimensional with the same blokes not standing up in the heat of the moment.

We weren't that far off. We fix up our ball movement we'll be there abouts. Our defense is still solid. But god we were boring to watch last year with how we moved the ball. The club was desperate to get the crowd involved in the finals last year but there is no way the crowd is going to get going for long kicks down the line all ending up with a set shot from the foward pocket.

We were so boring last year. Polar opposite to 2021 where I was eating up every bit of footy media I could get my hands on. Something about that season, felt like we had it from round 1, something special was happening.

A lot of the problems we had last year were evident in the first 10 rounds, like how predictable we'd become, how conservative our selections were. We were playing safe and were pretty garbage considering what we were capable of. Hopefully we've learned from that and can bring back some dare this season.

Watching us play footy last year was like pulling teeth, remember when people were whining when we were on a 10 game win streak? That speaks to how s**t it was as a spectacle.

I enjoyed some of the losses more than the wins. As annoying as it was losing that game to the Dogs at marvel at least it was entertaining for the most part. Give me that over the ******* yawn fest vs Carlton despite Kozzy's heroics in the last 20 seconds. What a ******* s**t game that was.

I enjoyed some of the losses more than the wins. As annoying as it was losing that game to the Dogs at marvel at least it was entertaining for the most part. Give me that over the ******* yawn fest vs Carlton despite Kozzy's heroics in the last 20 seconds. What a ******* s**t game that was.
Same with the second loss to Collingwood, was some good footy played by us atleast

Same with the second loss to Collingwood, was some good footy played by us atleast

Yea that was probably my third fav game of the season behind the wins vs Freo and Brisbane in round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back