Game Day Hawks v Pies official practice game - Thursday March 2 @ 5:10pm - UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Many Tigers supporters love him.
Only positive things to say.
I say give him a chance before laying judgement.
I never criticise our own. He could prove to be a master stroke.
Fast with a big leap.
He's a dasher who can break the lines. It's a bloody damaging weapon to have. I certainly wouldn't write him off. I'm just suggesting that you're pumping up Fly's opinion of him - he's only with us because Dean got injured.

He's a dasher who can break the lines. It's a bloody damaging weapon to have. I certainly wouldn't write him off. I'm just suggesting that you're pumping up Fly's opinion of him - he's only with us because Dean got injured.
No Fly coached him in a winning Tigers VFL premiership. He knows exactly what he's getting.
My bet is he ends up more then serviceable.

Yes and we passed and he was training with Carlton - until Dean got injured.
I can't remember but we wanted Steene. As soon as Dean got injured we pounced on Markov.
I'm happy we have him. Let's see what he can do.

Markov is already in the top 30% of AFL/VFL players for the number of games he has played so he is no spud either.

First hitout for the club. Hopefully that was his low water mark. I don’t have great expectations though.

So a couple of things to work on.
Tackling, the hawks broke a lot of our tackles, we were not strong enough to hold them up. Maybe that was because it was a praccy match and the intensity will get better but way too many for my liking.

Inside 50 deliveries, my god it was terrible or not. What I mean was they just kicked it long to the pack so often, where was the hit up forward. I’m hoping the long kick to the pack was not the game plan because I don’t think McStay or any forwards would like that.

May take a little while for the noobs to get it so maybe a slow start to the year re game plan.

We missed Bruzzy, not sure about the forwards. I see Reef, Freedy and AJ all vying for the same spot. Obviously Reef has first crack, im not onboard the Reef bandwagon like everyone seems to be only because I don’t see that this is the right spot for him but what do I know.

Lastly Cox to Mitchell to DeGoey that was very good to see in that first quarter. I definitely want more of that please.

Ps. I’m sorry for all those who have 37 on their jumper you won’t see that jumper in the AFL this season. Omg he was awful, probably should have left that last spot open for the MSD.

Out of curiosity….what did we miss with Gini?

Directs traffic well.
Kicks goals.
Sets goals up.
Keeps defenders honest and nervous which in itself creates goal opportunities and space.
Clean and smart ball user both at goals and inside 50 kick when he pushes up.
Occasional Wing option and F50 creativity.

Last edited:

Ridiculous if he goes for that might as well make it touch footy.
But wouldn't be surprised when you got a chick who's lucky to play a handful of games doing a class action against the club if the afl jump all over it.

They need to bring in some waivers for sport that it is at your own risk to some degree. Sport has been watered down far enough in name of DOC laws.
We have concussion rules in place which is a good thing but no need to further lessen the physical side from what we have currently.

When an opponent is much larger you need that momentum in that turn to bring them off balance and down often. Otherwise it's just a hug and likely they get arms free. We are still a contact sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't read the whole thread so not sure it's been mentioned but I watched some of the game and saw an interview at one of the breaks with Bolton who was asked about how Nick Daicos will manage the tag. He said they had plans for helping him get free but we won't reveal them in a practise match.

This indicates to me we haven't gone into these matches trying to win the game as much as blow out the cobwebs. Hawks are in a very different position that us and would have more motivation to prove themselves even in preseason. Remember when Carlton won the Wizard cup in the 2000's then went on to finish dead last? I would predict hawks will be in the bottom few teams come season end.

Not concerned with the game at all to be honest. I'm worried about Lipinski especially as it was an innocuous tackle that did it. Hoping he doesn't need surgery and won't miss too many games but if he does need to have another reconstruction at least it's early to get him back for the back end of the season. De Goey looks super fit so hope he doesn't get weeks but if he does we will manage. I'm a bit bullish as to our chances round one. We held our own against the cats last year and I think we are on the way up and with their list changed will not be getting better and if anything having to transition with some of their younger players. The reigning premier's usually start the year strong but they may end up having a bit of a hangover season IMO

Hawks will finish bottom 4 but I hate how people use that Carlton reference then fail to mention how their opponent made the real GF in season, the 2 prelim sides also made the top 4 in the real thing, this was a similar result nearly every year there was a NAB cup style comp.

No DeGoey and no Lipinsky really hurts our prospects against the Cats. I think DeGoey is going to miss a week. Why would you do that in an innocuous practice match where bruise free footy was the order of the arvo?

DeGoey to miss??....Meek got straight up after the tackle and played on. Trainers didn't even come on the ground to check on him. Why would you even think he will get a week for that?

At least give Markov a season and see what he can do before sinking the boots in.
He's a Collingwood player now.
All power to him.
I’m not sinking the boots in, I just have low expectations.

Stop being disingenuous. The meltdowns on this board were legion when we announced we were getting him. Spud. Dud. Useless and fat.
How is any of what I said disingenuous? It’s all fact. Just because some BF nuffies thought he was no good after one down year didn’t make it the truth.

I was hoping to see Ryan instead of him. He looked ok in the 2 previous trial matches and then gets leapfrogged
Ryan isn’t ready. I have no problems with him being overlooked at this point.

Our attacking play looked great, our defensive play looked horrible. How many times do you wanna allow the easy hit up pass around 35-45m out from goal? That was a huge issue that I hope they are working on.

Also, hoping Frampton can improve because the size is good in defence, but he was not good in this one. Can someone confirm that we gave him a 3 year contract?

DeGoey to miss??....Meek got straight up after the tackle and played on. Trainers didn't even come on the ground to check on him. Why would you even think he will get a week for that?

Yes impact was low but contact was high - esp given that tackles are assessed on the “potential contact”. If the sling is classed as intentional rather than careless, he cops a week.

If it gets treated as a classifiable offence, careless v intentional becomes the only question.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes impact was low but contact was high - esp given that tackles are assessed on the “potential contact”. If the sling is classed as intentional rather than careless, he cops a week.

If it gets treated as a classifiable offence, careless v intentional becomes the only question.

Wasn't intentional, it was a tackle, which is a football action on a bigger opponent in a normal sequence of play. Considering Meek got straight up and continued to play, be very surprised if this even raised a concern.

Wasn't intentional, it was a tackle, which is a football action on a bigger opponent in a normal sequence of play. Considering Meek got straight up and continued to play, be very surprised if this even raised a concern.

I want him to get away with it but if you think tackles that end up in players making high contact with the deck don’t get scrutinised, well, you can’t have been paying attention over the last few years.

There are three scenarios on the table - doesn’t get treated as a classifiable offence, gets a fine (careless) or cops a week(intentional).

Could go any way.

All the highlights from Hawthorn vs. Collingwood, Brisbane vs. Geelong​

Collingwood held off a brave Hawthorn outfit to run out six point winners in Launceston, while the Lions easily accounted for the reigning premiers. Check out how every player fared here.

Callum Dick, Chris Cavanagh and Jon Tuxworth

8 min read
March 2, 2023 - 11:37PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

PIES BEAT HAWKS IN LAUNCESTON THRILLER AS STAR PIE FINISHES ON ICE
Jon Tuxworth and Chris Cavanagh

Collingwood has its fingers crossed Pat Lipinski will overcome a shoulder injury to be fit for its round one blockbuster against Geelong after he failed to finish Thursday’s practice hitout against Hawthorn with a shoulder injury.
Lipinsky, one of the Magpies best with 22 touches and two goals in the 15.16 (106) to 14.16 (100) win at Launceston, left the field midway through the final term and didn’t return clutching his already heavily strapped shoulder.
It was the only injury concern for either side in an entertaining contest in Tasmania, where both teams showed an attack at all costs mentality.
“We’ll get scans and work out the severity,” Magpies assistant coach Brendon Bolton said. “He’s a great young man so we’ll cross our fingers. We hope it’s on the lighter side.
“I can’t speak highly enough of Pat. When he came across from the Bulldogs his transition running for us can really expose opposition, he’s a gut runner and a good decision maker.
“We won’t worry yet, we’ll wait for a diagnosis.”
The Pies ran out winners against the Hawks, and we’ve got every player rated.

COLLINGWOOD PLAYER NOTES​

1 Patrick Lipinski – Looks like spending more time across half-forward this year, given Collingwood’s riches through the midfield. More than capable of still having an impact in attack, though. Had 22 disposals and kicked 2.2 before hurting his already strapped left shoulder while laying a tackle midway through the final term.

2 Jordan De Goey – The most influential player on the ground in the first quarter and stepped it up again in the second half. Looks fit and was explosive as he won plenty of clearances and drove a lot of ball inside-50 playing almost exclusively through the midfield. Finished with a game-high 31 disposals, along with eight clearances. Laid a sling tackle on Lloyd Meek in the final quarter which will be looked at by the match review panel.

3 Isaac Quaynor – Provided some run off half back as he usually does, on his way to 18 disposals.

5 Jamie Elliott – Looked hungry in the first half when he was one of the most lively forwards on the ground with nine disposals and two goals. Didn’t add any further stats to his name before he was pulled out of the game midway through the third quarter.

6 Tom Mitchell – Had an impact through the middle playing against his old team for the first time. Was handball-happy as he looked to win first possession and set up teammates, recording 20 handballs and only eight kicks from his 28 disposals.

7 Josh Daicos – All class as usual on a wing in a big game. Finished with 26 disposals and floated forward to kick a goal in the third quarter.

9 John Noble – Only four touches in the first half across half-back but got going after that to finish with 18 disposals.

10 Scott Pendlebury – The former skipper spent some time across half-back but still played significant midfield minutes. He accumulated 11 disposals before being put on ice midway through the third quarter.

11 Dan McStay – Was solid enough in the first half as a key forward in attack, going into the main break with six disposals and two goals to his name. Only added one disposal and one behind to his tallies after that, though.

13 Taylor Adams – Spent a bit more time forward, where he was able to impact with two first-half goals. Played a bit more through the middle in the second half and finished with 22 disposals.

14 Darcy Cameron – Shared the ruck duties with Mason Cox and also had a bit of impact around the ground with 11 disposals to go with his 18 hitouts.

17 Billy Frampton – Played almost the entire game as a key defender alongside Moore, Murphy and Howe for the first half. Doesn’t win a lot of the ball but had some good moments and some not so good moments.

22 Steele Sidebottom – The veteran was primarily playing on a wing but had one of his quieter games with only 12 disposals and a third-quarter goal.

23 Bobby Hill – No Jack Ginnivan? No worries. The small forward was a livewire up forward throughout the game and made the most of his opportunities. He had only four disposals in the first half but recorded five score involvements from them. Booted one goal in the third quarter.

25 Jack Crisp – Spent some time in the middle as well as across half-back and finished with 24 disposals.

26 Reef McInnes – Came into the game midway through the third quarter and headed into attack. Kicked a goal in the third term but missed a sitter in the last quarter.

28 Nathan Murphy – Worked hard down back in a key defensive post but didn’t have a huge impact on the contest.

30 Darcy Moore – The new skipper was reliable as always with his intercept possession wins in defence. Took nine marks to go with 19 disposals.

31 Beau McCreery – Played forward but was largely unsighted for large periods of the match. Had three touches to half-time and finished with seven.

32 Will Hoskin-Elliott – Was a regular in the team last season as he played 24 games but didn’t get any game time in this one until the fourth quarter. Did boot one goal shortly after he came on.

35 Nick Daicos – Uh oh. The tags have already started. Was shadowed by Finn Maginness, particularly in the first half, and didn’t have his usual impact as he logged just four kicks from 10 disposals to the main break. Finished with 17 touches, attending a few more centre bounces in the second half.

37 Oleg Markov – The first look at the SSP addition, who is at his third AFL club after prior stints with Richmond and Gold Coast. Warmed the bench for the first half before being activated midway through the term and heading into defence. Logged eight disposals.

38 Jeremy Howe – Relatively quiet across half-back before being pulled out of the game with nine touches to his name early in the third quarter.

41 Brody Mihocek – Didn’t have a huge impact in a high-scoring game. Copped a corky in the third quarter but played on. Missed a sitter in the final term but still finished with 2.3 from nine touches.

45 Josh Carmichael – Sat out the first half and had limited opportunities in the second half, managing just four disposals.

46 Mason Cox – Shared the ruck duties with Darcy Cameron and had a game-high 28 hitouts but didn’t have much other impact around the ground otherwise.

Collingwood finished winners in an entertaining affair. (Photo by Steve Bell/Getty Images)

Collingwood finished winners in an entertaining affair. (Photo by Steve Bell/Getty Images)

RECRUIT WATCH
Collingwood fans would have been excited by what they saw from the majority of their new faces, all of whom have been lured to improve areas they struggled in at times last year.

Former Brisbane Lions ruck-forward showed he will be invaluable as the Pies look for more tall targets in the inside 50, as well as covering for the huge loss of star ruckman Brodie Grundy to Melbourne.

McStay booted two goals in the opening term and looked capable of providing a handy foil for fellow tall Brody Mihocek, while also allowing their livewire small forwards more space.

Former Giant Bobby Hill played in the midfield and had some classy touches. In the second quarter he used his pace to stream down the wing and delivered a beautiful kick to Mihocek inside 50.

Former Hawks champion Tom Mitchell was strong at the stoppages and will take some pressure off fellow inside mid Taylor Adams.

PIES DANGEROUS UP FORWARD

Collingwood defence has long been among the competition’s best, but at times they struggled to kick a bag of goals and relied on their grit to win a glut of close games.

However they look to have far more options this year with McStay there, while Hill will also spend plenty of time as a crumber up forward.

Jamie Elliott looks set for a super year after he was arguably the most dangerous player on the field in the first half.

The small forward booted two goals before the major break and missed another he’d normally nail.

The suspended Jack Ginnivan is also yet to return after enjoying a breakout season in 2022, and of course there’s De Goey as another dangerous midfield-forward swingman.

Adams also got up forward more than usual and kicked two first half goals, with Pat Lipinsky following suit. The Pies now have plenty of players capable of playing big midfield minutes, but also being a danger when resting up forward.

The Magpies showed their trademark desire to attack at all costs under Craig McRae, with their quick rebound from half-back providing constant headaches for Hawthorn’s defence.

MOVING MAGNETS

Last year’s Rising Star winner Nick Daicos spent most of last year sparking Collingwood’s attack from half-back with his silky skills.

But already it’s clear he will be given more responsibility closer to the action after spending most of the game in the midfield and on the wing.

Although the Magpies still have champions like Scott Pendlebury and Steele Sidebottom, it was Daicos who was tagged by Hawthorn with Finn Maginness given the role in the first half.

“He’s better get used to it. He’s too good to leave just running around,” Hawks coach Mitchell told Fox Footy.

Daicos played mostly half-back against Carlton last week. But it was a sign of intent by the Magpies to put him closer to the action in their main serious hit out before they play defending premier Geelong in round one.

Craig Macrae has made some changes for this game. (Photo by Steve Bell/Getty Images)

Craig Macrae has made some changes for this game. (Photo by Steve Bell/Getty Images)

LIPINSKI ISSUE A CONCERN

Pat Lipinski was one of Collingwood’s best players with 22 disposals and two goals. But in a concern for the Pies he left the field clutching his already heavily-strapped left shoulder midway through the last term after attempting to lay a tackle on Sam Butler.

Lipinski is one of Collingwood’s more underrated players and they’ll be hoping he’ll be ready for Geelong in round one.

It appeared the only injury concern for either side to come out of the match.

I think DeGoey is in trouble.

If the same tackle was applied by Joel Selwood or Trent Cotchin they’d have won a holding the ball free kick but it wasn’t them, it was JDG.

1-2 weeks will be a big blow given our tough draw and how good he looks, especially with Lippa also now missing.

Just once I’d love to see DeGoey play a whole season. Just once! But looks like it won’t be 2023.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back