2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

As of now, my guess is mid 60’s if the weather is good. I’m not sure if the F1 on will increase, decrease or won’t change the outcome of the crowd. I’ll be keeping a close eye on ticket sales throughout the week.
F1 could help it, plenty of interstate tourists in town may want to visit the G on the Saturday night. Certainly won’t harm it. I think if it were an Essendon home game it’d draw close to 65,000. Although silly as it may sound, Saturday night isn’t the best slot. Either way it should draw around 60,000 in reasonable conditions.

It’s the 8th biggest round ever and the second largest that wasn’t Round 1 or an ANZAC round. (Round 3 of 2018 was around 20k larger.)

Pretty good for a round that only had 2 local derbies.

Next week the big crowds will keep on coming (plus a few back to earth)

#AFLDogsLions - 20K
#AFLPiesTigers - 90K
#AFLHawksNorth - 7K
#AFLGiantsBlues - 10K
#AFLSaintsDons - 65K
#AFLPowerCrows - 50K
#AFLSunsCats - 12K
#AFLDeesSwans - 33K
#AFLFreoEagles - 58K

Is there another league anywhere in the world where the top crowd of the round could pull 90K and the bottom under 10K?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Surely the dyed in the wool footy state Tasmania can reach 10k for its two part time tenants.

Is there another league anywhere in the world where the top crowd of the round could pull 90K and the bottom under 10K?

Maybe not quite under 10k but I think La Liga in Spain has a couple of stadiums with a capacity of around 15k (depending on who’s in the league that year) as well as the Camp Nou in Barcelona which gets 90k+.

Next week could go higher

Carlton v Geelong - 70K
Brisbane v Dees -30K
Collingwood v Port - 55K
Crows v Tigers - 48K
Doggies v Saints - 35K
Dockers v North - 40K
Swans v Harks - 30K
Dons v Gold Coast - 40K
Eagles v Giants - 55K

Maybe some ambitious estimates there but the above would get it to the record.

This "high-end" estimate was actually unders for some of the crowds (Pies and Swans)

Maybe not quite under 10k but I think La Liga in Spain has a couple of stadiums with a capacity of around 15k (depending on who’s in the league that year) as well as the Camp Nou in Barcelona which gets 90k+.

Serie A too

40,000 at Optus for Freo v Kangas. Poor. First game of season for the dockers at home and their supporters haven’t bothered. A long season ahead for the Longmuir & co.

Hang on, wat?

40k against bloody North Melbourne is poor? You think your standards might be a shade high?

Something’s gotta be done about Medallion Club at Marvel (the black seats on level 2). It is always the emptiest part of the ground without fail. If they just shrink it by a few bays it won’t be such a hinderance on crowds.

Isn't Medallion Club membership about 7 grand a year?

Good luck shrinking it. Even if they reduce it by 1000 seats, you reckon the tenant clubs will want to pay a couple of million each in rent to make up the shortfall?

It’s the 8th biggest round ever and the second largest that wasn’t Round 1 or an ANZAC round. (Round 3 of 2018 was around 20k larger.)

Pretty good for a round that only had 2 local derbies.

and a round in which all of the Big 4 Melbourne-based teams played out-of-town opposition. We can include Geelong who were dragged into town on a school night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Gossage on SEN was particularly scathing of your mob for not making it at least 50,000 k!
Then he's a potato. There's only about 5 clubs in the league capable of getting 40k+ to a game vs interstate opposition, let alone 50k, let alone against last year's wooden spooners.

Interesting follow-up on this issue. I had assumed this was the reason we hadn't seen any whole of fox group ratings for the AFL and this pretty much confirms it...

Record Foxtel ratings this year when so many have and are switching to Kayo has seemed difficult to believe so I'm not surprised.

Pretty shocking if true!

It's not necessarily deliberate cheating. It could well be a lack of understanding of the relative data that's being added together

It could also be general distrust given the mention of double counting of the FTA networks ratings (who own OzTam)

Record Foxtel ratings this year when so many have and are switching to Kayo has seemed difficult to believe so I'm not surprised.

Presumably that's the thing (or something like it) i.e. Oztam have adjusted the panel measurements to capture at least the TV based streaming on Kayo and Foxtel now but foxtel are still taking that and adding it to its own streaming numbers

I wonder what they mean by the FTAs also having double counting under the Oztam though?

It's not necessarily deliberate cheating. It could well be a lack of understanding of the relative data that's being added together

It could also be general distrust given the mention of double counting of the FTA networks ratings (who own OzTam)

From people ive spoken to it boils down to Oztam not having access to Kayos ratings because the streamotion setup hasnt meshed well with the oztam meters. Fox figures are derived internally using the same methodology that Oztam uses for VPM reporting, minutes viewed/program duration.

This spat has probably killed any Kayo data reporting for the near future

Presumably that's the thing (or something like it) i.e. Oztam have adjusted the panel measurements to capture at least the TV based streaming on Kayo and Foxtel now but foxtel are still taking that and adding it to its own streaming numbers

I wonder what they mean by the FTAs also having double counting under the Oztam though?

Some regional areas are also counted in metro data. Its been a known issue for at least a decade.

From people ive spoken to it boils down to Oztam not having access to Kayos ratings because the streamotion setup hasnt meshed well with the oztam meters. Fox figures are derived internally using the same methodology that Oztam uses for VPM reporting, minutes viewed/program duration.

This spat has probably killed any Kayo data reporting for the near future

OK, not clear what the actual disparity is from that though.

Oztam are suggesting that foxtel are double counting and that their released figures are 30 to 40% too high.

sensing this issue is not code specific - but across the board? would it be impacting cricket/netball?

The AFL is pleased to announce Rounds One and Two of the 2023 Toyota AFL Premiership Season represents the best-ever attendance after two rounds in AFL history.

A huge 765,789 fans have attended matches across the opening two rounds combined.

In Round One, 392,248 fans attended matches, delivering the third highest attended round of all-time, with games at the MCG (four), Marvel Stadium (two), Adelaide Oval (one), GIANTS Stadium (one) and Heritage Bank Stadium (one) on the Gold Coast.

In the recently completed Round Two, 373,541 fans attended, making it the highest ever Round Two attendance of all-time and the eight highest attended round ever. Games were played at MCG (three), Marvel Stadium (two), Optus Stadium (two), GABBA (one) and the SCG (one).

The combination of the first two rounds eclipsed the previous best mark of 725,010 fans across the opening two rounds of the 2019 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

Top 5 opening two rounds combined all-time

1. 2023 – 765,789 (Rd 1 392,248, Rd 2 373,541)
  2. 2019 – 725,010 (Rd 1 380,789, Rd 2 344,331)
  3. 2017 - 722,443 (Rd 1 400,401, Rd 2 322,042)
  4. 2013 - 716,603 (Rd 1 365,867, Rd 2 350,736)
  5. 2018 - 715,094 (Rd 1 375,564, Rd 2 339,530)
Average attendance across the opening 18 matches is 42,543 fans a game and both rounds this season now sit among the best-eight attended rounds in AFL history.

Top 8 attended rounds all-time

1. Rd 1 2017 - 400,401
  2. Rd 3 2018 - 393,537
  3. Rd 1 2023 – 392,248
  4. Rd 5 2017 - 391,980
  5. Rd 5 2018 - 381,880
  6. Rd 1 2019 – 380,789
  7. Rd 1 2018 – 375,564
  8. Rd 2 2023 – 373,541
"The opening two rounds have had it all, electrifying individual and team performances, tight finishes, a number of clubs jumping up the ladder and some of the best footy we have seen played in recent memory,” AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan said.

"To all the supporters across the country who attended a match or have watched the broadcast, we say thank you, you are the heartbeat of our game, and we look forward to seeing you at the footy in Round Three.”

Round Three is filled with high drawing matches, including one of the biggest home and away matches of the season and 87,000 forecast to attend Collingwood vs Richmond at the MCG on Friday night.

St Kilda’s 150th Anniversary match vs Essendon, with both clubs undefeated, has 50,000 plus expected at the MCG on Saturday night, along with the Showdown in Adelaide, also on Saturday night. The Showdown should draw at least 47,000 fans while the round will be concluded on Sunday with the Derby at Optus Stadium in Perth and a crowd around 51,000 forecast for that game.

Top 10 attended matches across opening two rounds of 2023

1. 88,084 Richmond vs Carlton, MCG (Rd 1)
  2. 86,595 Geelong Cats vs Collingwood, MCG (Rd 1)
  3. 68,691 Hawthorn vs Essendon, MCG (Rd 1)
  4. 60,744 Collingwood vs Port Adelaide, MCG (Rd 2)
  5. 55,861 Carlton vs Geelong Cats, MCG (Rd 2)
  6. 48,103 Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs, MCG (Rd 1)
  7. 44,649 West Coast Eagles vs GWS Giants, Optus Stadium (Rd 2)
  8. 40,487 Fremantle vs North Melbourne, Optus Stadium (Rd 2)
  9. 38,492 Adelaide Crows vs Richmond, Adelaide Oval (Rd 2)
  10. 37,052 Sydney Swans vs Hawthorn, SCG (Rd 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back