Is Nick Daicos The Best First Year Player Of All Time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Barely watch much footy anymore, but anytime i watched even a few minutes of the Pies last year - this lad was dominating.

Even is he has peaked - he will still be in the best handful of players in the comp.

Very, very few elite talents like this emerge.

Yes, and he will be one of the best to ever play.

On another note, north supporters love jumping the gun on our own players, give it a rest guys.

Nick Diacos is a jet, would be my first pick any day. Said the same on Twitter and got smashed for it. Was told Ashcroft was going to be the best 1st year player. All I said was even though Ashcroft was good he likes to kick the ball quite high when under pressure, and I thought Nick was a much better kicker.

Apparently didn't go down too well and I was told that's because Nick plays half back and gets easier kicks where Ashcroft was more a guts player and contested possession beast.

I said give me Diacos any day of the week,

Collingwood has one of these hype players every handful of years or so. 2018 it was Stephenson. Before that Grundy. Before that McMullin, McGough, Brad Dick. The list is endless and goes back to time immemorial. In the absence of a greater ration of Grand Final wins than even the Saints over the last 64 years, it is nice for all the Joffa disciples to have something that allows them to show some false pride. :)

Last edited:
Collingwood has one of these hype players every handful of years or so. 2018 it way Stephenson. Before that Grundy. Before that McMullin, McGough, Brad Dick. The list is endless and goes back to time immemorial. In the absence of a greater ration of Grand Final wins than even the Saints over the last 64 years, it is nice for all the Joffa disciples to have something that allows them to show some false pride. :)
False pride is what you must feel when you re-read some of the s**t you write

Last edited:
Collingwood has one of these hype players every handful of years or so. 2018 it way Stephenson. Before that Grundy. Before that McMullin, McGough, Brad Dick. The list is endless and goes back to time immemorial. In the absence of a greater ration of Grand Final wins than even the Saints over the last 64 years, it is nice for all the Joffa disciples to have something that allows them to show some false pride. :)
Envy doesn't suit you, xx

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Ashcroft could go one better but it'll be difficult to top and wouldn't be a slight on Ashcroft if he falls short.

Regardless, super exciting for the competition to have guys like Daicos/Ashcroft/JHF/Sheezal coming through around the same time as that next generation. Sheer quality across the board.

Cannot wait though for 5 years down the track for the 'Who would you rather have: Daicos/Ashcroft/Sheezal' thread.

I think Ashcroft could go one better but it'll be difficult to top and wouldn't be a slight on Ashcroft if he falls short.

Regardless, super exciting for the competition to have guys like Daicos/Ashcroft/JHF/Sheezal coming through around the same time as that next generation. Sheer quality across the board.

Cannot wait though for 5 years down the track for the 'Who would you rather have: Daicos/Ashcroft/Sheezal' thread.
And the usual unbiased, balanced comments that will accompany it

No Richmond players involved so we should be safe...

Daniel Rioli a sneaky chance to still win

This is yet another reason why we are easily the biggest club. Oppo supporters will turn any thread into a Richmond thread any chance they get. Everyone wants to be us. :)

Nick Daicos is a freak. Easily the best first year player. Gonna be the best second year player too

I tend to back in proven performers over potential but Daicos has already shown enough to be the most valuable player in the game. People that criticise his uncontested possessions are genuine nuffies. His ball use, his work rate, his finishing around goal. The sort of player that you can go watch live and just watch him even when he is no where near the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back