Preview Round 7, 2023 : Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 4:35pm Sat April 29th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's in year three, has played two games in a bottom of the ladder team and has now been replaced by a player in year one (albeit looks an exciting prospect).

We also know from ITK posters, the club wants to chase a key position defender.

I'm certainly not saying delist, but gee, you'd have to be damn optimistic at this point to think DGB is going to be the elite player we hoped.

Anyway, we move on. Excited to see Weddle and Ramsden debut. We're also much better than last week with Lewis, Day and Ward back.
This is the problem with Tops mentioning our future list desires, people who jump at shadows like this.

We also want to bring in more midfield and forward class, does that mean Cmac and MacKenzie are in trouble?

How about just recognizing that all youngsters have peaks and troughs and things to work on, rather than jumping to “you’d have to be optimistic to see a a big future for him”.

I think people are over complicating the outs

Lewis had to come as we had no KFs
Ramsden - a logical in on form and then with Lewis in makes sense - plus he gets a good look at the comps most in form ruck
Weddle - his physical gifts and attributes simple demanded being picked . So someone had to make way .
Day - in everyday of the week
Ward - in everyday of the week

The concern on DGB is over the top . He and Weddle are totally different players with completely different physical attributes so competing for the same spot/role is incorrect .
He has probably copped the grenade of us needing to get super talent in along Lewis/Day/Ward being available

Love that Seamus is in.
He should take every kick in from now on. Actually makes plays rather than the customary play on and kick to the wing that Dimma has done all year

See original image

It's been the Hardwick way for best part of a decade.

Decisive moves by the match committee. CMac and BMck have been ok but a few games at BH should stand them in good stead. It will be a good hit out for the others such as Long and DGB. Casey are one of the better sides in the VFL.

Ward, Day and Lewis were always coming back in. Pumped to see what Weddle and Ramsden can do. Hopefully they get a couple of games at least.

Pleased Seamus held his spot. Sub should be Scrim as CMac, Frenchie and Long are better served by a full game at BH.

Two tall targets plus Fergus will help Bruest, Chad and Brocky if we can get the ball in there enough. Massive test for the midfield. We are full strength in the middle with Day and Ward back so no excuses.

I'm just not seeing it to be honest.

I'd be shocked if he becomes a star, but still think he could become a serviceable player.
Posters were attacked for criticising DGB’s 3 possession game and suggesting he would lose his spot in the side. I look forward to those same people explaining how Sam Mitchell knows nothing about football

I remain hopeful DGB can be a good player but he hasn’t shown much since being drafted to suggest it

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still see a few more guys pressing for selection this year the depth is so even!
Morris,Sullivan,Bennett. Morris is a guarantee to come back in at some stage in my eyes.
It's almost like Mitchell will be forced to rotate a group of 5-10 players thru the side and why not.

This is the problem with Tops mentioning our future list desires, people who jump at shadows like this.

We also want to bring in more midfield and forward class, does that mean Cmac and MacKenzie are in trouble?

How about just recognizing that all youngsters have peaks and troughs and things to work on, rather than jumping to “you’d have to be optimistic to see a a big future for him”.
My view, if you want elite, and reality says we are far from it, there will be changes to the List as we develop. Particularly when as is now, the List is close to full strength.

Who knows where this lands, but as we grow, I hope we are responsive to needs of the List and the best footy the Club can put out.

My point is, we have an abundance of strengths but significant weakness within this List. It will take time to achieve the balance. More quality KPP’s. How we get there will be fun.

I understand, to the chagrin of moderators, what we are trying to achieve……we are fortunate we have a Club, staff and coaches committed to winning silverware again.

We will find out. Just love that we follow a Club and coach who wants to know.

Also love watching the so called experts scratching their heads as to what we are doing ?? Love it.

Last edited:
Feels like we're starting to get a few selection headaches each week. For a young developing side, this is exactly what we want!

DGB, CMac and Frenchy will get more games, Scrim still needs to consolodate a full time spot, Bramble, Meek, Long, Butler, Kosi, Maginess, Morris, Sully, Bennets, Blanck, Stephens, Hustwaite, BMac are all waiting in the wings at Box Hill. All of which could get a game or two this year. The competition for spots is pretty good.

So far we have used 34 players (inc. Wed and Rama) this year, which is pretty crazy for just 7 rounds!

Feels like we're starting to get a few selection headaches each week. For a young developing side, this is exactly what we want!

DGB, CMac and Frenchy will get more games, Scrim still needs to consolodate a full time spot, Bramble, Meek, Long, Butler, Kosi, Maginess, Morris, Sully, Bennets, Blanck, Stephens, Hustwaite, BMac are all waiting in the wings at Box Hill. All of which could get a game or two this year. The competition for spots is pretty good.

So far we have used 34 players (inc. Wed and Rama) this year, which is pretty crazy for just 7 rounds!
Spot on Sixpence

Weddle in the deep end. Will get one of the 3 talls.

Clearly we want more attack from our defenders. DGB with 3 touches just wasn't enough.
JUH, Naughton or Lobb. That’s a fair task for a first gamer.

Also, are we expecting ramsden to chop out reeves in the ruck?

I also can’t remember the last time we omitted 4 players (maybe 5 if scrim isn’t sub).

I reckon Sam is sending a message to the playing group: perform or back you go.

They know the competition for spots is hot now. It should crank up their performances to peak levels, knowing they need to perform consistently.
Hope not. That's a pretty s**t message to send to young developing blokes.

"Here's your chance, * up and you're gone!"

What a way to instill confidence in the group.

Posters were attacked for criticising DGB’s 3 possession game. I look forward to those same people explaining how Sam Mitchell knows nothing about football
Was a really bizarre few posts in that thread. Like we'd been teleported to 1984...

Sam is due on radio tomorrow morning so it will be interesting to hear him explain the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back