Preview Round 21, 2023 : Hawthorn v Collingwood, 4:35pm Saturday August 5th MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep only 12 goals for season is a poor return for Moore. He’s working hard but it’s not just happening. Has he been worked out by opposition or just a down year.

He needs to play as a midfielder again. He was good in that role last year. The lack of inside 50s per game this year hasn’t really helped his output as a half forward.

So ignoring brockman managed, Frost Bramble and Mackenzie had shockers and rightfully lost their spots, despite the Frost spin. Meek should not be out. I made the argument that post quarter time he beat Marshall and that it was the best performance by any hawthorn ruck in 2023. If he doesn’t hold his spot for someone who taps and does nothing else, then he is in the same boat as he was at freo just insurance.
Of the inclusions, scrimshaw obvious, Reeves seems blessed, Morrison has been very good for a month at box hill and is a proven solid afl player, Kosi as backup ruck but other than his 4 goal game his form wasn’t warranting selection. Long is the one who should have come in and played mid and chop out ruck given Ryan is already playing as second tall.
This is a team that is #1 for scoring from d50 using high speed chains. What chance have we got with Lewis Ryan Kosi?
I hope from next week we see some of the box hill guys to excite us for the future, as this week I fear is going to be ugly.

Yep only 12 goals for season is a poor return for Moore. He’s working hard but it’s not just happening. Has he been worked out by opposition or just a down year.
Bit of both i think, added to that the vice captaincy and the extra responsibility it comes with. Pretty sure he'll bounce back next year, he knows.

We've all seen what Morrison has provided this season at AFL level. I'm not sure that his performance at VFL level last week eases concerns.
He was injured in pre season so came in under done and rightly left the side out of poor form. If you read the write up u see the reason he comes in his value is in gettting us set defensively all over the ground. His leadership will help blank seamus and weddle play better. Its what we want with a couple of our other leaders out.

There is no point in playing the kids if they are not playing the right way. Mitchells way. Harry comes in to help with that i dont know what else to say to u but thats it in a nutshell

Morrison selection is fine, he's played well at VFL level and Bramble was poor last week. I think we can see a bit of a hole in our list currently for wingman so expect us to be looking for one via trade or draft to address that.

Kosi is largely a second ruck and may be the one to be subbed if we are finding we lack run.

Ramsden would have been a nice inclusion but he's still very slightly built so would be exploited by a more mature side.

Ultimately the game will be won in the middle, if we have strong defensive work from that part of the ground then we give ourselves the best chance to win.

Huge challenge ahead.

My issue is, if we all agree that he isn't in our best 22 and just a fringe player at best, why don't we play any number of the kids we have running around at BH and find out who can play and who can't. It's not like our season or finals are on the line. It just makes little sense to me.
If Mitch Lewis went down, we wouldn't be throwing Hustwaite in as a full forward over Kosi or Brandon just because we have to "play the kids". Unless you're an AA selector, the wing is a different position to the midfield. Without Amon we need a proper wing to hold structure and link up the ground. The rest of the team suffer when they don't have a true wing out there. Fact is none of our young guys are proper wings yet, even BMac doesn't have the structure work to play as a sole wing. Harry is a good wing, but he doesn't need to be any more than that with Amon out.

Reeves has Meek comfortably beat in Hitouts, H2A, HO Win % and H2A %. Hardly a "very bad call".

View attachment 1764030

I accept that, but Meek played a better game last week even with a horror start than Reeves has managed for the entire season (bar one game against the dogs).

The comment I replied to was directly about hit outs to advantage being missed last week where I pointed out Meek last week had more than Reeves has had in a game all year too, which makes that a bad call.

I accept that, but Meek played a better game last week even with a horror start than Reeves has managed for the entire season (bar one game against the dogs).

The comment I replied to was directly about hit outs to advantage being missed last week where I pointed out Meek last week had more than Reeves has had in a game all year too, which makes that a bad call.
That is simply not true.

I swear every match preview thread is like this after team selections come out....

296560.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kosi may play defensive role on Darcy Moore.

He needs to play as a midfielder again. He was good in that role last year. The lack of inside 50s per game this year hasn’t really helped his output as a half forward.
Agree to lack of his midfield minutes. But as fwd in same fwd line Breust has kicked 39. I know Breust is champion and not fair to compare Moore with him, but in couple of years where we are looking these youngsters to step up, 12 goals out of 19 games is not enough.

Agree to lack of his midfield minutes. But as fwd in same fwd line Breust has kicked 39. I know Breust is champion and not fair to compare Moore with him, but in couple of years where we are looking these youngsters to step up, 12 goals out of 19 games is not enough.
There’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to compare Moore to Breust. Moore is 24, has played 71 games and Vice Captain of the club. His trajectory should be on the way up, whereas Breust is an aging star whose output is expected to decrease, in reality the opposite has occurred. Moore has underachieved this year, kicking half the goals he has in the last two years and we are in desperate need of goal kickers. Looking at his stats, he is having a lot less kicks on goal and when he does his accuracy is way down, currently at 46% conversion. Previous two years were at 65% & 71%.

Unpopular opinion:

I don’t mind Morrison.

I’ll let myself out
He’s a solid player who has nearly 100 games as a pick 74. If he were around in our threepeat and came into our 2013 premiership team in place of Jonathan Simkin would you bat an eyelid? He’s smart, good work ethic, a decent user and tough and all clubs need that. If he is happy to be somewhere between 20-30 on our list I am happy to have him. He’s much better than Bramble.

He’s a solid player who has nearly 100 games as a pick 74. If he were around in our threepeat and came into our 2013 premiership team in place of Jonathan Simkin would you bat an eyelid? He’s smart, good work ethic, a decent user and tough and all clubs need that. If he is happy to be somewhere between 20-30 on our list I am happy to have him. He’s much better than Bramble.
Need to get him to 100 games for any future talented off spring

Unpopular opinion:

I don’t mind Morrison.

I’ll let myself out
I like him too. If you read the preseason write ups from the coaches, he was well and truly in their plans for 2023. However, he had an interrupted preseason and couldn’t really go the next level I thought he might this year.

Plus Amon coming in and the emergence of Weddle and Mitchell has meant he’s fallen way down the pecking order. I still think he can offer something at afl level but I’m not sure it will be with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back