Preview Round 21, 2023 : Hawthorn v Collingwood, 4:35pm Saturday August 5th MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's hear your explanation.
Without Frost, Morrison brings added leadership to the half back line as the 7th defender. He's cooler under pressure than Bramble and his kicking inside 50 is needed.
Stephens, Butler and Mackenzie are not playing that role.

Ryan won't be playing relief ruck, Kosi will as it's what he's been doing at Box Hill for the last month or so.

I have just sat back and enjoyed the Morrison ranting.

Kosi is second ruck. Ryan and or Denver are not. Kosi has played that position at box hil every week now since he was dropped. We would pick Meek against a different opponent. We also want to see a bit more from Ryan.

Morrison comes in to be a stabilising influence in that backline. Scrim deserves a game this week given his form at box hill. We have a lot of inexperience in that backline and they got flustered and completely lost structure

Its always a balancing act. We saw that last week in the first qtr. We had Nash playing on the wing and CMAC2 playing mid and got absolutely pasted. CMAC2 looked anxious and didnt get much game time for the rest of the game.

We learn nothing as a team being blasted out of the game. With Amon and Frost out we need more experience in the side.

Teams do not learn anything if they lose by a lot. All it does is lower the confidence of everyone in the team especially the youngsters. We r still in a learning phase and the best way to learn is to have enough experience around to guide u.

I mean Ppl should know by now that we r not going to play all our youngsters together. It is a truth. We play them mixed in with experience to get them to 50 games.

CMAC2 may not be sub BMAC might be.
Once u understand the reasoning hopefully u have less angst with selection.

I don't find the changes baffling.

Scrimshaw was a square-up. He should never have been dropped in the first place and we missed him last week. Morrison is the closest thing we have to Karl Amon - by the way, Morrison's last game for us was very good, I'm not bothered by his inclusion. I raised my eyebrow at the Kosi selection. I think it's part of a plan to occupy Moore, Howe and Quaynor with talls. It's strange because it's the opposite of Carlton's winning strategy which was Curnow + the mosquito fleet.

We'll see what comes of all the manouvreing. This will probably be the biggest crowd we'll play in front of this year. We'll find out a little bit about some of these youngsters.

Without Frost, Morrison brings added leadership to the half back line as the 7th defender. He's cooler under pressure than Bramble and his kicking inside 50 is needed.
Stephens, Butler and Mackenzie are not playing that role.

Ryan won't be playing relief ruck, Kosi will as it's what he's been doing at Box Hill for the last month or so.

I don't really agree with the reasoning, I believe there were better options that we could have turned to. IMO it's just as likely that they're getting one last game to show they're worth taking into next season.

I don't really agree with the reasoning, I believe there were better options that we could have turned to. IMO it's just as likely that they're getting one last game to show they're worth taking into next season.
Who are the better options?

Who?
Kosi?
Other 3 players are contracted for 2024 and 2026 respectively.

Last edited:
Who are the better options?

Meek could have kept his spot. Cameron is going to run rings around Reeves and Kosi. Granted Meek isn't much better around the ground, but he is an improvement and he and Reeves may be able to work Cameron over.

It would have been a good chance to see both Reeves and Meek work on their games resting forward, with Moore and Murphy taking Lewis and Ryan. They'd have been matched-up with Howe or Quaynor.

Or we could have brought Butler in to the side to replace Brockman. We are already poor at applying forward 50 pressure - and Collingwood absolutely torch teams transitioning the ball from the D50, with Daicos (x2), Maynard, Noble, Crisp, Pendles, Sidebottom, Moore and Howe all providing run/kicking skills.

As for Morrison, I agree he's better under pressure than Bramble. But he's slower and he's just as poor playing as a defender when he has to actually defend an opponent. Blanck, Sicily, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Mitchell, Impey and Weddle = 7 defenders. Maginess and Day could both potentially spend time back there too if needed.

Personally I'd rather see two of Butler, Mackenzie and Meek play instead of those two.

Meek could have kept his spot. Cameron is going to run rings around Reeves and Kosi. Granted Meek isn't much better around the ground, but he is an improvement and he and Reeves may be able to work Cameron over.

It would have been a good chance to see both Reeves and Meek work on their games resting forward, with Moore and Murphy taking Lewis and Ryan. They'd have been matched-up with Howe or Quaynor.

Or we could have brought Butler in to the side to replace Brockman. We are already poor at applying forward 50 pressure - and Collingwood absolutely torch teams transitioning the ball from the D50, with Daicos (x2), Maynard, Noble, Crisp, Pendles, Sidebottom, Moore and Howe all providing run/kicking skills.

As for Morrison, I agree he's better under pressure than Bramble. But he's slower and he's just as poor playing as a defender when he has to actually defend an opponent. Blanck, Sicily, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Mitchell, Impey and Weddle = 7 defenders. Maginess and Day could both potentially spend time back there too if needed.

Personally I'd rather see two of Butler, Mackenzie and Meek play instead of those two.
I think we will have more than 7 defenders for the majority of this game…😫

Past games have shown Meek and Reeves both struggle up forward, better have one (most likely Meek) work on his forward craft at Box Hill. Butler has yet to show much at both levels, would prefer Greene or even give Bennetts a go. MacKenzie’s last game was underwhelming, especially since he had shown good form for Box Hill, so being omitted isn’t a huge surprise and there is still a good chance he could be sub.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really thought we wouldn’t see Morrison and Kosi again, so Morrison getting a game ahead of Long and Stephens, means we can safely say there papers have been stamped

I would be miffed if I was Stephens, we actually traded him in and players like Morrison and Bramble get a game ahead of him

Morrison in for Bramble, surely BMac could of play that role, it would of at least injected some pace into the team
Ned Long is nursing some niggles and was in the rehab group yesterday at training. He wasn't going to be playing this week in the VFL match simulation against Carlton before it was cancelled due to Carlton struggling for numbers.

Scrimshaw should be in our best 22. Reeves is our best tap Ruckman.
Morrison is reliable depth.
Koschitzke is a more mobile second Ruck option, that could also be dangerous up forward with Lewis and Ryan in the team.

Last week we had the Saints kick 9 goals in a row, which is unacceptable. We've responded by bringing in more experience. If we structure up well, and slow Collingwood down, we are in with a chance.

We misses Reeves hits to advantage last week. Will dominate Cameron at the centre bounces.

Meek had 15 hit outs to advantage, and 46 hit outs total. Reeves hasn’t managed to achieve either of those stats in any of his 17 games this season, very bad call.

Meek also had 5 tackles, something Reeves has only topped once (6 against the dogs). Meek had 10 disposals, again Reeves has only topped this once (15 against the dogs).

17 pressure acts as well, only matched once this year by Reeves.

After quarter time I thought Meek was great, he played with aggression and impacted contests. Very stiff to be out.

Meek had 15 hit outs to advantage, and 46 hit outs total. Reeves hasn’t managed to achieve either of those stats in any of his 17 games this season, very bad call.

Meek also had 5 tackles, something Reeves has only topped once (6 against the dogs). Meek had 10 disposals, again Reeves has only topped this once (15 against the dogs).

After quarter time I thought Meek was great, he played with aggression and impacted contests. Very stiff to be out.
Which is odd, considering we got mauled at centre bounce clearances and total clearances.

They kicked 5 goals from centre bounce in the first qtr alone, which is some kind of record.

Reeves has Meek comfortably beat in Hitouts, H2A, HO Win % and H2A %. Hardly a "very bad call".

1691102003774.png

Meek stiff to be dropped IMO. Thought he was one of our best last week.
Mithcell alluded to the fact on SEN he was a big part of why they kicked 5 from stoppages in a quarter last week. That first quarter was one of the worse rucking performances I've seen from a Hawthorn player in a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back