Preview Round 21, 2023 : Hawthorn v Collingwood, 4:35pm Saturday August 5th MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mithcell alluded to the fact on SEN he was a big part of why they kicked 5 from stoppages in a quarter last week. That first quarter was one of the worse rucking performances I've seen from a Hawthorn player in a very long time.
the first was where we lost the game and Meek got absolutely pantsed in that qtr. He was fine the rest of the game but probably deserved to be dropped off that Q1 alone

Meek did well to turn his game around after quarter time, credit to him but yes that 1st quarter was an annihilation from Marshall on Meek. Had to be dropped for Reeves, who yes struggles around the ground but never would've allowed that pure ruck domination.

Mithcell alluded to the fact on SEN he was a big part of why they kicked 5 from stoppages in a quarter last week. That first quarter was one of the worse rucking performances I've seen from a Hawthorn player in a very long time.
What would Sam know though ?

Had a shocking 1st quarter that I agree with but thought he was the better of the 2 rucks by the end of the day.

Then again looking at the scoreline, that 1st quarter was the ballgame.

He is very Vanilla in my O.P?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Past games have shown Meek and Reeves both struggle up forward, better have one (most likely Meek) work on his forward craft at Box Hill. Butler has yet to show much at both levels, would prefer Greene or even give Bennetts a go. MacKenzie’s last game was underwhelming, especially since he had shown good form for Box Hill, so being omitted isn’t a huge surprise and there is still a good chance he could be sub.

Underwhelming is picking a fringe player such as Greene and Morrison. For all of Morrison's supposed calmness and kicking ability he's averaging 4.4 turnovers a game. That's more turnovers than score involvements a game.

He's been averaging 18.1 touches at 68.5% efficiency, and that's for an outside player.

The same criticisms Scrimshaw gets on here about slowing the game down apply to Morrison too.

I believe Butler has been better then Bennetts at VFL level, though I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Bennetts get a game. This was the week to bring in someone to apply forward 50 pressure. Collingwood are going to absolutely cruise out of our D50 with Lewis, Kosi, Ryan, Breust, Wingard and Moore applying pressure.

Underwhelming is picking a fringe player such as Greene and Morrison. For all of Morrison's supposed calmness and kicking ability he's averaging 4.4 turnovers a game. That's more turnovers than score involvements a game.

He's been averaging 18.1 touches at 68.5% efficiency, and that's for an outside player.

The same criticisms Scrimshaw gets on here about slowing the game down apply to Morrison too.

I believe Butler has been better then Bennetts at VFL level, though I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Bennetts get a game. This was the week to bring in someone to apply forward 50 pressure. Collingwood are going to absolutely cruise out of our D50 with Lewis, Kosi, Ryan, Breust, Wingard and Moore applying pressure.
I think you will find disposal efficiency and the amount of turnovers are relatively normal for a winger unless they are in the absolute elite category.

Butler and Bennetts play very different games though, Bennetts isn't exactly a pressure player.

Not too excited about Kosi and Harry coming in. Both limited players. Scrimshaw should be a lock for best 22 instead of Frost. Quick ball movement is counter productive if you keep turning it over. Prefer to get games into Frenchy even if he deserved to get dropped. We look very slow up forward. Geez L Ryan and N Watson would add another dynamic to our forward line!!

If you are in doubt about what morrison provides read the Vfl write up about him this week. You can choose to ignore it after u have read it but at least u will have more information.

Agree with Morrison, I just don’t get the selection. Surly nobody believes he is best 22, and even then I don’t really know what he brings to the team. His disposal and decision making is very very poor, I would rather play a kid or blood a rookie over him.
Read the vfl write up on Morrison and u will get an understanding for his selection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with Morrison, I just don’t get the selection. Surly nobody believes he is best 22, and even then I don’t really know what he brings to the team. His disposal and decision making is very very poor, I would rather play a kid or blood a rookie over him.
He doesn't need to be best 22, he just has to be our second best wing with Amon out. I'm pretty sure everyone preferes him to Bramble, and we need at least one true wing for our gameplan. Solid player, perfect AFL depth in my opinion.

FYI

Harry Morrison (23 disposals, 9 marks)

"Harry spent the day across half back and helped set us up with his ball use. We don't undervalue the importance of his leadership among our group and what he is able to provide in that space. He helps us get set up structurally and makes sure we defend the ground and rebound as well."

If you are in doubt about what morrison provides read the Vfl write up about him this week. You can choose to ignore it after u have read it but at least u will have more information.

We've all seen what Morrison has provided this season at AFL level. I'm not sure that his performance at VFL level last week eases concerns.

Fair point.

Also, Cameron will torch both around the ground. But Reeves has a better chance of dominating the taps and that should be our advantage in the middle.
My current preference is Reeves with Frost as second ruckman (not KPB). I would have played Meek before Kosi but as a replacement for Frost interested to see how he goes.

He doesn't need to be best 22, he just has to be our second best wing with Amon out. I'm pretty sure everyone preferes him to Bramble, and we need at least one true wing for our gameplan. Solid player, perfect AFL depth in my opinion.
My issue is, if we all agree that he isn't in our best 22 and just a fringe player at best, why don't we play any number of the kids we have running around at BH and find out who can play and who can't. It's not like our season or finals are on the line. It just makes little sense to me.

What exactly is there to be gained by having MacKenzie as the sub? He either plays a full game or he doesn’t.

Serong should’ve gotten a game by now.
i disagree, i think Mackenzie's best performances this year have all come when he's been sub. he manages to have a consistent impact when coming on, whereas he's struggled to get involved for 4Q in pretty much every full game he's played this year.

he can still get accustomed to AFL speed and accumulation in limited game time while his confidence doesn't get shot by having really low-production games (like last week) where he looks lost. his best assets are his kicking and decision-making, but they are wasted if he's only getting 10 touches through a full game. But as sub he's been managing a similar level of output in significantly less TOG. i honestly think it's better for both the team and him, at least this week

I hope Sam has told Moore to stay in fwd half and look to kick some goals specially when we have 3 talks. He has been underwhelming in his primary role this year.
Yep only 12 goals for season is a poor return for Moore. He’s working hard but it’s not just happening. Has he been worked out by opposition or just a down year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back