Autopsy Another bad loss. Sydney 13.8.86 def. by Fremantle 16.7.103

Remove this Banner Ad

The blooding of talent doesn't necessarily have to come from outside the current best 22. We have players like Campbell in a back pocket and Rowbottom playing as a negating mid, positions and roles that clearly aren't maximising their potential at all. They were presumably implemented to net wins and preserve our contender status. Obviously it's been a fruitless endeavour, and with the season now as good as dead, there's little point now in not allowing some of these players to explore their full potential. So I'd be looking from within before turning to the VFL players first.
My concern is that is just shifting the deckchairs. Our issue is depth and it needs to be fully explored. You will only really know how they stack up when they are in the furnace

My concern is that is just shifting the deckchairs. Our issue is depth and it needs to be fully explored. You will only really know how they stack up when they are in the furnace
I mean, if it gets the ball in Campbell's hands 5-10 more times a game, or unlocks the potential Rowbottom has shown he's got, I'd say it'd be significantly more than just shifting the deckchairs. Suddenly you have two additional stars in the team that you didn't have before. I'd rather we explore that and see what else our mature players can offer (not that those two are exactly 'mature'), before we revert to trying unproven teenagers who might only show promising signs at best.

I mean, if it gets the ball in Campbell's hands 5-10 more times a game, or unlocks the potential Rowbottom has shown he's got, I'd say it'd be significantly more than just shifting the deckchairs. Suddenly you have two additional stars in the team that you didn't have before. I'd rather we explore that and see what else our mature players can offer (not that those two are exactly 'mature'), before we revert to trying unproven teenagers who might only show promising signs at best.
I'm beginning to wonder if the club sees Campbell as our version of Daniel Rich at the Lions. Stocky player with a cannon for a left leg, who puts the ball over the top of the zone defence into the forward line with precision while chiming in for the odd goal as well.
Wouldn't be the worst option in the world.

I'm beginning to wonder if the club sees Campbell as our version of Daniel Rich at the Lions. Stocky player with a cannon for a left leg, who puts the ball over the top of the zone defence into the forward line with precision while chiming in for the odd goal as well.
But a stocky player with good speed, endurance and one of the best kicks in the AFL - just imagine what they might achieve if, heaven forbid, they were given a chance in the midfield.

I'm thinking yes. The problem is that we already have so many more mature rebounding options off half back - Lloyd, Florent, Blakey, Fox - that it doesn't really allow for Campbell to do much of that. So he ends up minding opponents while others run around winning the ball and distributing.

Liking what Campbell brings, also Fox. And Errol Gulden is bringing it consistently.

Can't help all the injuries, very difficult for any club to overcome.

They went after COLA, then our trade picks, when will the vendetta end.
Kick your 4 goals Buddy, we'll send an autographed picture to AFL House.

Liking what Campbell brings, also Fox. And Errol Gulden is bringing it consistently.

Can't help all the injuries, very difficult for any club to overcome.

They went after COLA, then our trade picks, when will the vendetta end.
Kick your 4 goals Buddy, we'll send an autographed picture to AFL House.

Because the club did * all so either we are spineless or indeed did shady stuff and copped our fair whack.

Because the club did * all so either we are spineless or indeed did shady stuff and copped our fair whack.
Spineless hierarchy. Have been for as long as I can remember. Should have taken the trade ban to court the very next day, without even a note to AFL house beforehand. They let COLA disappear without much of a peep. Didn't hear a word outta them after the 2016 rigged GF.
Anyone of those things had happened to Collingwood they'd have ended up owning the AFL in court and having Gil removed, and/or a mob would have burnt AFL House to the ground - for real.

As we lament our current lack of depth, is there a club as successful as Sydney as having key players running around at other clubs?

Toby Nankervis: Richmond captain
Jordan Dawson: Adelaide captain
Tom Mitchell: Brownlow medal
Allie Allir: All Australian
Gary Rohan: Premiership medal

Plus throw in:

George Hewitt
Nic Newman
Tim Membrey
Zac Jones
Darcy Cameron

Who makes the decision to trade these players out and why is there not intense scrutiny about these decisions?

We’re happy to take the plaudits about being great at recycling players from other clubs, but gee we’re pretty good too at giving good players away.

Looking at our AFL player list, these are players we have yet to see at AFL level:

28 William Edwards (Key Defender)
45 Hugo Hall-Kahan (Medium Forward)
18 Jacob Konstanty (Medium Forward)
32 Jaiden Magor (Midfielder Forward)
46 Lachlan McAndrew (Ruck)
35 Caleb Mitchell (Midfielder)
40 Cameron Owen (Ruck)
41 Lachlan Rankine (Medium Defender)
25 Cooper Vickery (Medium Defender)

The rest of our listed players are very well known to us all.

Considering that leaving our list at the end of this season will sadly be:

Paddy McCartin
Sam Reid
Lance Franklin

Plus we have the following players getting on in age:

Robbie Fox age 30
Tom Hickey age 32
Jake Lloyd age 29
Harry Cunningham age 29
Dane Rampe age 32
Luke Parker age 30

then we better hope that some of that crop above are going to be very good.

Looking at our AFL player list, these are players we have yet to see at AFL level:

28 William Edwards (Key Defender)
45 Hugo Hall-Kahan (Medium Forward)
18 Jacob Konstanty (Medium Forward)
32 Jaiden Magor (Midfielder Forward)
46 Lachlan McAndrew (Ruck)
35 Caleb Mitchell (Midfielder)
40 Cameron Owen (Ruck)
41 Lachlan Rankine (Medium Defender)
25 Cooper Vickery (Medium Defender)

The rest of our listed players are very well known to us all.

Considering that leaving our list at the end of this season will sadly be:

Paddy McCartin
Sam Reid
Lance Franklin

Plus we have the following players getting on in age:

Robbie Fox age 30
Tom Hickey age 32
Jake Lloyd age 29
Harry Cunningham age 29
Dane Rampe age 32
Luke Parker age 30

then we better hope that some of that crop above are going to be very good.

Heeney is 28 next year too

I think if people think we have this superstar youthful list that peaks in 2023 or 2024 without a lot of work is kidding themselves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate saying it but I think Tom might be on that list too, or near it. I worry both McCartin's have the same genetic predispositions to getting concussions.

It is going to be interesting

Not something you can be taking too many risks with, health top priority of course,

Because today is Mothers Day and the crowd would have been poor. Also, time suits a fair few parents, can get them home for dinner.
Yep I understand the perspective from a family friendly POV but I don’t understand why our club requests these time slots, it’s actually the graveyard shift.

Prime time is night games

“Sweet Caroline” and all the let’s be happy music is a direct strategy to alter crowd mood.

We never had the intimidation factor of WA, SA and Vic crowds. And I’d never want the SCG to be like West Coast crowds.

But yesterday was pretty pathetic. “Hey, we’re losing and the umps are abysmal - but let’s just chat among ourselves and wait for Sweet Caroline”.

Crowds DO impact player and umpire performance.
There is a different electricity in the air at the scg and admittedly it seems to coincide with when we are going well, but does help the team and get a few decisions our way.

Atmosphere at scg for day games doesn’t compare, it’s literally night and day!! Have just given myself a face palm too 😂

The back-to-back 50m penalties yesterday were ******* embarrassing.

Blakey throws the ball back to Treacy who decides not to reach up to catch it, with a smirk on his face knowing exactly what he's doing. Umpire pays the 50, Freo get a goal.

Rowbottom stands where he thinks the mark is (because you get 50m paid against you if you move off the mark....) and seemingly gets no warning. Umpire pays the 50, Freo get a goal.

So that's where this sport is at now. I used to watch 7-8 games per weekend. I now watch about 4-5 per weekend and this weekend I've only watched 2. It's a stupid sport now that just happens to be played by a club I love very much.
100% agree, 50m penalties have huge impacts on games, yesterday was a prime example.

Can barely watch other games now but used to love watching previously.

I thought umpires were atrocious yesterday but won’t be brought up because we were also terrible.

Nope. I hear this all the time in here.

Exactly how do you know we didn't enquire about him? His manager probably fielded calls from 17 clubs and probably shut down 14 or 15 if them straight away. If a player simply doesn't want to play for a club then the club moves on, it is pointless to then "chase" them.

I think we would be pretty amazed to hear some of the conversations that go on behind closed doors because if we think list managers only talk to player managers once or twice a year, and that is during trade period, then we live on another planet. Enquiries about players would occur every week of every month, but more often than not the player chooses other options so the clubs move on.

Not directed at you EiG, just getting this off my chest.
Fair enough dosser understand what you are saying, but blind Freddy knew we needed midfield reinforcements based of GF.

We could have enquired about Dunkley and be told he is wanting to get to Brisbane. That’s fair enough, but we should be going after the next target, plan B.

As a club with minimal father/sons walking around, we need to be doing better in this regard. Hence my frustration that we didn’t seem to be in the conversation (based off no midfield reinforcements or trade whispers which usually have a fair amount of merit).

As we lament our current lack of depth, is there a club as successful as Sydney as having key players running around at other clubs?

Toby Nankervis: Richmond captain
Jordan Dawson: Adelaide captain
Tom Mitchell: Brownlow medal
Allie Allir: All Australian
Gary Rohan: Premiership medal

Plus throw in:

George Hewitt
Nic Newman
Tim Membrey
Zac Jones
Darcy Cameron

Who makes the decision to trade these players out and why is there not intense scrutiny about these decisions?

We’re happy to take the plaudits about being great at recycling players from other clubs, but gee we’re pretty good too at giving good players away.

Quite a bit of revisionism here. Of that list only Hewett, Aliir and Rohan didn't ask to be traded. All the rest did, so what are you saying?

That was just painful to watch from the opening bounce.

Gulden was fantastic today but very few of his team mates had his back.

Whatever happens between now and seasons end, we must draft a KPD as Francis and Gould do not look up to it.

Getting more games Into the young ones has to be the priority now.

PS - heard a rumour from a member I sit with today who knows someone in the club that there are grave concerns over the playing future of Tom McCartin as well as Paddy. Goss without saying what a disaster that would be on numerous fronts.
If that's true about Tom McCartin then we're screwed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back