Autopsy Another bad loss. Sydney 13.8.86 def. by Fremantle 16.7.103

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon the club just fold.

Obviously not trying hard enough.

s**t at everything.

Am I doing this right?
Going a bit easy on them I think, you will get there…

My take:

1. It’s sometimes easy to forget just how many players we have out, particularly when you include injuries during the game today. We were missing our three best defenders, our leading ruck for the year (and our ruck playing today was well underdone), our best mid, and two key position forwards (arguably our best two).

2. As a result, almost everyone is out of position and every combination is unsettled. As horse also noted, we have people carrying injuries who would normally be resting. There’s a lot of talk of dumb and selfish footy (and I don’t disagree, there has been a bit) but it is very hard to play smart team-based footy when everyone around you is a new combination or out of position.

3. We are seriously lacking leadership. That has been the biggest impact of the trade ban. We have ended up with players too old and players too young. As a result, everyone is trying to do too much.

I love that despite these setbacks the team and coaches are doing everything they can to be as competitive for each game each week. I do wonder though if now is the time to accept that this will not be our year and to rest the guys who are carrying injuries. We might have a few more blow outs, but at least our players will get right and be ready for next year.

We may still have huge challenges next year though, if both McCartins are out. That’s our two best defenders gone. That alone will be hard enough to come back from.

Spot on mate.

Reckon the club just fold.

Obviously not trying hard enough.

s**t at everything.

Am I doing this right?

Club brilliant
losing is ok cos so many injuries, no one else has those

we would be top of the ladder if not for missing goals and bad luck, they try so hard

best young list in the comp though, they are just kids give em time
window opens next year not this year

Am I doing it right? 😂

Club brilliant
losing is ok cos so many injuries, no one else has those

we would be top of the ladder if not for missing goals and bad luck, they try so hard

best young list in the comp though, they are just kids give em time
window opens next year not this year

Am I doing it right? 😂
You're not a true fan if you complain! Anyone who speaks negative doesn't deserve to follow us. I've been a supporter for 25 years, and I know what I'm talking about.

Am I doing it right?

You're not a true fan if you complain! Anyone who speaks negative doesn't deserve to follow us. I've been a supporter for 25 years, and I know what I'm talking about.

Am I doing it right?

we can get to 20 pages doing this 😄

I'm not too concerned about the overall direction of the club. Going into this year I had us finishing in the bottom half of the eight. I thought the GF result would take an obvious toll on us, and make us really struggle when under pressure and being challenged by quality opposition. For that reason I had us finishing in the bottom half of the eight - beating a lot of shite sides, struggling against quality opposition. Basically being pretenders, making up the numbers, etc. whatever you wanna call it.

That is what we looked like we were gonna be this year. We dispatched Gold Coast & Hawthorn rather comfortably, so too Richmond.

I think the personnel issues have made even simply being pretenders, making up the numbers etc. a little difficult, because now even against average sides like GWS and Freo, we suddenly don't have the personnel out there to make us "better than." So even the games that on paper should be easy ones are now becoming tough ones where we have to really battle it out.

And I just don't think we're capable of that this season.

To summarise I just reckon given we already had the GF effect likely lingering over us, it's made combatting this injury crisis that much harder.

(Cue the people replying with "excuses" like literally every other team who has been in the position we were in going into this year hasn't also struggled with it.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think right now the obvious choices would be Sheldrick and Warner.

Perhaps give Edwards a few games, even if he isn't quite ready.
It seems we are going to need to do Something like this.

I'm not too concerned about the overall direction of the club. Going into this year I had us finishing in the bottom half of the eight. I thought the GF result would take an obvious toll on us, and make us really struggle when under pressure and being challenged by quality opposition. For that reason I had us finishing in the bottom half of the eight - beating a lot of shite sides, struggling against quality opposition. Basically being pretenders, making up the numbers, etc. whatever you wanna call it.

That is what we looked like we were gonna be this year. We dispatched Gold Coast & Hawthorn rather comfortably, so too Richmond.

I think the personnel issues have made even simply being pretenders, making up the numbers etc. a little difficult, because now even against average sides like GWS and Freo, we suddenly don't have the personnel out there to make us "better than." So even the games that on paper should be easy ones are now becoming tough ones where we have to really battle it out.

To summarise I just reckon given we already had the GF effect likely lingering over us, it's made combatting this injury crisis that much harder.

(Cue the people replying with "excuses" like literally every other team who has been in the position we were in going into this year hasn't also struggled with it.)

That is the hope really, that on reflection players look back and say there was just so much hangover, luck, whatever around and they just couldn't get past it,

Means you can tweak things, players in and out etc etc and reboot and get back on track.

Climbing all the way toward a flag, training, hard work, getting there and just shitting the bed , it has to take a toll, any loss would. It can also givema side a fire of course, but wouldn't be the first side to hit some sort of wall

Not all teams hit with injuries have been able to cover them. Probably St Kilda became the one to really buck the trend but depends who and your depth.

When we were flying last year I don't recall too many players that were being held back from getting a game. Cunningham couldn't make his way back into the side but really there wasn't really anyone you thought was unlucky (Maybe Amartey). Our best 22 could make finals this year but the drop off of Buddy would suggest we would be making up the numbers as you suggest. We don't have the depth to cover the injuries. Excuses or not that's realistic.

Bigger picture I'd be inclined to get anyone with a persistent problem sorted now to give maximum rehab if required. Such as Heeney.

We really should beat north to be honest

Can see larky having a day out though

Nah I agree with you. I think north might pip us. Last year when they were worse than now they almost got us. McInerney played the game of his life. And now with our old ulcer Clarkson is heading the helm and our injuries destroying our structure, I can see us conceding another loss. Don't think it'll happen but after this week's performance it wouldn't surprise me.

I was just asking because I can't recall you ever predicting us to win anything.

Spineless hierarchy. Have been for as long as I can remember. Should have taken the trade ban to court the very next day, without even a note to AFL house beforehand. They let COLA disappear without much of a peep. Didn't hear a word outta them after the 2016 rigged GF.
Anyone of those things had happened to Collingwood they'd have ended up owning the AFL in court and having Gil removed, and/or a mob would have burnt AFL House to the ground - for real.
You really have not been around long , ask Richard Colless if you actually know who he is

Edwards is miles off.

As much as I’d love to see a young tall emerge as AFL standard, it isn’t Edwards yet. Gifting him games would not be appropriate.
Don't know if you watched the reserves game but both he and Melican were better than O McDonald. Edwards is incredibly athletic and showed a big improvement in confidence and game reading in the game. Could be on a fast track trajectory to a debut I think.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quite a bit of revisionism here. Of that list only Hewett, Aliir and Rohan didn't ask to be traded. All the rest did, so what are you saying?

I wouldn't have traded any of them. I even liked Rohan, who seemed to be universally hated around here. He was a good kick who always popped up with a goal. He tended to go missing a bit too often, but certainly no worse than any of our current forwards.

And I really don't get why they got rid of Hewett. He was a useful cog in our midfield.

And I understand Aliir had some sort of issue with Longmire, but trading him always seemed self defeating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back