Autopsy Another bad loss. Sydney 13.8.86 def. by Fremantle 16.7.103

Remove this Banner Ad

The movie Sully about the crash landing on the Hudson, with a strong investigation after. We'll land, not well, and we need to look at where things went wrong
Agree

No but unless some individuals improve markedly and we get some key position depth it well could be
The Titanic.

Let’s stay positive by all means but rose coloured glasses should have been sent back to Spec Savers some time ago.
The last Rose I saw was some sh1t B movie starring Bette Midler.

Warning to BF readers and posters, there will be no angry venting on the team from the Rubba Duck this week.

I've just finished reading half a book on Anger Management. I say half, it frustrated the s**t out of me with all its namby-pamby peacenik talk, clearly written by some hippy who's never had a knife fight in heir life. I tore it to shreds, swore at the shreds, jumped on them, doused them in petrol, lit 'em and "WOOF" (dog was too close). Having burnt my kitchen to the ground I felt much better. I wasn't even angry about the dog. I got out my Dad's old Slim Dusty collection and played some country-music backwards. I got my dog back, I got my truck back, hell, I even got my girl back.

Quack

....and before Bedders can cry "Off-Topic" here's my very positive and entirely non-Angry assessment of the Swans' woes

Swans are stuffed. Two co-captains injured, 8 of ten experience players of >190cm are out or playing underdone, leaving a half baked Franklin and a desperate Blakey as our book ends. Reid, arguably our most important player in 2022 is ruled out for season (we beat Geelong and Collingwood twice with Reid in but struggled fell apart soon after he went down in the PF). Everyone seems to be playing through niggles as there are no replacements. We don't even have enough reserves as those left are mostly unready for seniors. Even the newbies we are playing are going down injured, as they're forced to play a tougher game against much bigger bodies. Freo were just too tall. Any team can beat us by playing enough talls. Parker, Gulden, Heeney, Papley, Rowbottom, Warner, Lloyd and Tassie boy Fox are holding the team together. Even with Buddy skewing the stats by adding roughly a year to the team's average age, we were still 6 months younger than the Giant's young team, a year younger than Freo, two years younger than Collingwood and three years younger than Cats. That was OK when we had plenty of seniors to lead the kids, we still beat a 2 year older Richmond and when we played the younger Hawks and Suns teams we easily beat them. If it wasn't for the need to keep Aussie Rules relevant in the huge Sydney sporting market, a market sadly neglected by the AFL, it would be an ideal time for the Swans to do what the Pies did in 2021, ie, write off this year, focus on the years ahead, play any young guys who are ready or nearly ready, pick up better draft picks and rise like a phoenix the following year.

....and before Bedders can cry "Off-Topic" here's my very positive and entirely non-Angry assessment of the Swans' woes

Swans are stuffed. Two co-captains injured, 8 of ten experience players of >190cm are out or playing underdone, leaving a half baked Franklin and a desperate Blakey as our book ends. Reid, arguably our most important player in 2022 is ruled out for season (we beat Geelong and Collingwood twice with Reid in but struggled fell apart soon after he went down in the PF). Everyone seems to be playing through niggles as there are no replacements. We don't even have enough reserves as those left are mostly unready for seniors. Even the newbies we are playing are going down injured, as they're forced to play a tougher game against much bigger bodies. Freo were just too tall. Any team can beat us by playing enough talls. Parker, Gulden, Heeney, Papley, Rowbottom, Warner, Lloyd and Tassie boy Fox are holding the team together. Even with Buddy skewing the stats by adding roughly a year to the team's average age, we were still 6 months younger than the Giant's young team, a year younger than Freo, two years younger than Collingwood and three years younger than Cats. That was OK when we had plenty of seniors to lead the kids, we still beat a 2 year older Richmond and when we played the younger Hawks and Suns teams we easily beat them. If it wasn't for the need to keep Aussie Rules relevant in the huge Sydney sporting market, a market sadly neglected by the AFL, it would be an ideal time for the Swans to do what the Pies did in 2021, ie, write off this year, focus on the years ahead, play any young guys who are ready or nearly ready, pick up better draft picks and rise like a phoenix the following year.
Its not off topic , as well i probably agree .
I really believe a review should take place , doesn't have to be public , buck look at our whole set up .
The successful clubs do change from year to year from assistants to footy staff , you must stay fresh .

Its not off topic , as well i probably agree .
I really believe a review should take place , doesn't have to be public , buck look at our whole set up .
The successful clubs do change from year to year from assistants to footy staff , you must stay fresh .
As long as we're honest, open and the whole club has buy in to the process and outcomes. We need to be careful not to throw the positives out with the bathwater.

I expect a process of sorts is happening alongside the home & away fixture, there are all sorts of learning opportunities in a string of losses. It's important players and staff believe in and get behind the path to glory.

We need to reinforce the many things we're doing right, the things that saw us leap to a GF last year against all expectation. We also need to be brutally honest about what's not working, putting every aspect of the club under review, with no suggestions off limts. Fresh thinking can come from outside people but it can also be achieved when inside people buy into a novel idea, one that runs counter to the way they've always worked, thought or acted. A genuine willingness to try out new things is the key and this is a damn good opportunity to try out those new things.

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks but it's worth the extra effort if you can, especially when the alternative is to have faithful old Lassie put down and replaced with a new pup.

As my old dad used to say, if racehorses could talk their last words would probably be "No really, the leg's fine now"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With due respect and sure people have a different view the Question would be, not withstanding injuries piling up this year, why should a team that made the GF last year with the much vaunted best young list in the AFL that arrived a year to early have to do that ? Where has that list gone heading into the future ? This is basically scrapping the current rebuild which we have no doubt been in since 2018 and starting again. What it means is there has been mismanagement of the list ranging from lack of competence in drafting to development to coaching to fitness to injury management. Am I saying this is correct ? I have not a clue what is going on but what you are suggesting does suggest that the current rebuild has collapsed and the foundations need to be poured again. The foundations that have been Rampe, Franklin, Parker, Reid and the like are collapsing and the Concrete that held them altogether in Kennedy was gone last year.

It has not been the younger players who have gone backwards.

With the exception of Rampe not one experienced player has improved their output.

Last year the Club erred in offering JPK an extension when he was cooked. We did the same with Bud IMO. Worse we offered another year to the Benedict Arnold of footy fitness Sam Reid.

let’s look at some experienced players.

Lloyd has just been average. Lachie Schultz kicked four and flogged him

Parker has arguably gone backwards.

Heeney is one of the great disappointments of the Comp…gone backwards

Florent started well and is prolly on par with last year

Wayward has gone backwards. Unless he can kick a set a shot what is the point of playing him

Papley Has gone backwards. Is the only crumber we have.

Last edited:

With the exception of Rampe not one experienced player has improved their output.

Last year the Club erred in offering JPK an extension when he was cooked. We did the same with Bud IMO. Worse we offered another year to the Benedict Arnold of footy fitness Sam Reid.

Lloyd's been very good the rest of this year. Unfair to heap s**t on him for a bad game in which we conceded 61 inside 50s. I'd also add in Fox, who has picked up where he left off last year.

But I agree there's been a leadership void this year. Every player who is supposed to be in their prime and making us a contender has looked decent at best. We can pretend the sky is falling because Mills is out, but he was hardly setting the world on fire. Other recent All Australians like Heeney and Papley are so far off it it's ridiculous. Florent and Hayward haven't taken any steps forward. Parker has been the main man in our midfield and he is not elite. Buddy is what he is now. Players like Cunningham and Clarke do their roles, but are still just bottom six players.

I don't think any youngsters besides Gulden (and to a lesser extent, Campbell and McDonald) have improved on last year, but would it kill our senior core to stand up and perform the way they are expected - and paid - to do?

Parker has arguably gone backwards.

Heeney is one of the great disappointments of the Comp…gone backwards

Florent started well and is prolly on par with last year

Wayward has gone backwards. Unless he can kick a set a shot what is the point of playing him

Papley Has gone backwards. Is the only crumber we have.
why offer anyone contracts? We should just reload in the draft every year

why offer anyone contracts? We should just reload in the draft every year

You're being facetious.

I guess I have been irritated with younger players carrying the can for our poor form and want to bring some balance. The seniors have to take some responsibility

Just a few obs.

I’d argue it’s Florent thats been ‘found out’ not Parker.

Agree on Hayward (Did he get a kick on Sat?)

Lloyd is shot.

Heeney is spreading himself too thin, trying to be all things..

Ladhams panics…but can do good things.

Buckley’s another spread too thin atm.

Cunningham & Clarke have improved as ‘stoppers’

Phillips has guts.

With due respect and sure people have a different view the Question would be, not withstanding injuries piling up this year, why should a team that made the GF last year with the much vaunted best young list in the AFL that arrived a year to early have to do that ? Where has that list gone heading into the future ? This is basically scrapping the current rebuild which we have no doubt been in since 2018 and starting again. What it means is there has been mismanagement of the list ranging from lack of competence in drafting to development to coaching to fitness to injury management. Am I saying this is correct ? I have not a clue what is going on but what you are suggesting does suggest that the current rebuild has collapsed and the foundations need to be poured again. The foundations that have been Rampe, Franklin, Parker, Reid and the like are collapsing and the Concrete that held them altogether in Kennedy was gone last year.§§
Wolfie, what you suggest I'm suggesting isn't quite what I suggested. I don't think we need to scrap our rebuild at all, but given we are f-all chance to make much impact this year it opens the door to opportunities we wouldn't have if, say, a top four finish was beckoning. Not all journeys follow a straight line.

Bedders suggestion of a more thorough review is a good one, in my view. Checking the map if you like. We have the time to pause and review some areas, akin to some guys having to stop for fuel on a road trip and so we might as well check the tyres, the oil, grab some snacks, and make sure the bikes, canoes, beers and the wives are still tied to the roof racks properly. I listed some caveats in my subsequent post that we should take care not to lose our gains, they may be more in line with your thinking. In any case, we're free to experiment more, even perhaps compelled to as we attempt to rob Peter to pay Paul or shuffle the deckchairs on the Titanic.

I'd very much like to see a review of whether we can manage injuries and fitness better. Clearly Geelong are the masters of bringing their ageing veterans to their peak when it really matters. Of course they have greater depth in experience in their list, allowing them to manage playing time better. We seem to have reached a tipping point where our lack of available depth is no longer allowing us to rest niggles or give a player time to work on a block of fitness. Like the German army towards the end of the war in Europe, as soon as our troops can walk we have no choice but to send them straight back to the frontline.

As an aside, I once met an old German guy who lived in Tasmania. Willie had been drafted onto the Western front as a motor cycle courier while still really a kid. He was scared shitless and with almost no training, he got lost, blundered into Allied forces put up his hands and was held in the UK as a POW until 1948, four years after the war in Europe had ended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back