MASSIVE NBA Draft Day Trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Richardson (+Pick 36) to Charlotte in exchange for Pick 8 to Golden States

Steve Francis and Channing Frye to Portland in exchange for Zach Randolph, Dan Dickau and Fred Jones to New York

Ray Allen and 35th pick in the draft in exchange for Delonte West, Wally Szczerbiak and Boston's No. 5 draft pick, Jeff Green.

In my view New York win big in their trade. Off-loading Steve Francis with his contract is a remarkable effort... and who better to do it with than Portland, still making bad decisions I think. They hit jackpot with #1 pick which was just pot luck, NBA loses all in all. However they now may enjoy a bit more success in the New York market with Randolph and co.

Ray Allen to Boston is a special trade. You dont see those come around to often. All-Star players still playing like All-Stars (rather than a played being off-loaded when on his decline), however it would seem Seattle are equally compensated with #2 and #5 draft picks to build around.

Jason Richardson could also do a lot for Charlotte who have some good big men and just needed a dominant scorer!

1. The GSW just got rid of 46 mil and 4 years on a contract on a guy that has wonky knees and relies on his athleticism. Aside from this, I dont like this deal for either team.

Richardson is basically their best scorer. Can Matt Barnes could fill in, but with 20ppg? Ellis could, but thenr they have 6'2 guys in the backcourt. Rich is a pretty good player but he is pretty unique to their team and not easily replaced

For the Bobcats, couldnt they get less of a risk to blow 11 million a year for 4 years on?

2. Man the Blazers really wanted Randolph gone, badly. They trade a guy who put up 24/10 for a soft **** 9/4 'power' forward and a guy who basically nobody wants, and who they will likely buy out. Couldnt they have got something better for him?

As for the Knicks...this is another one of those deals where they get a big name without any regard to how he will fit in their structure. He's not strictly a low post scorer but their is enough crossover with Curry to assume their will be troubles. And with Randolph and Curry as a defensive tandem at the 4 and 5, they will get torched every night

3. Good trade for the Celtics. They cant win a championship with this team though, but they just need to win. They could do a Cavs. Probably the most important thing is the fact they kept Ratliff's deal to use in another trade. Surely teams will want that 11 mill expiring and will offfer the Celtics a big time player for it

2. Man the Blazers really wanted Randolph gone, badly. They trade a guy who put up 24/10 for a soft **** 9/4 'power' forward and a guy who basically nobody wants, and who they will likely buy out. Couldnt they have got something better for him?

As for the Knicks...this is another one of those deals where they get a big name without any regard to how he will fit in their structure. He's not strictly a low post scorer but their is enough crossover with Curry to assume their will be troubles. And with Randolph and Curry as a defensive tandem at the 4 and 5, they will get torched every night

good comments.

the Blazers could have almost had a go at any player to trade with Randolph. i'm sure there are dozens of teams that would love to have a power forward of Randolphs ability. and there are a lot of teams in getting him that could have gone from boarderline to contender dont you think?

its just the worst possible trade. taking a player who no one wants as you said and another young athletic prospect. I suspect blazers are going to get bullied out of so many games... no experience... all youth... fat contracts... no results

The trades are all pretty good for mine.

Charlotte have money to burn, and they needed a scorer, J Rich is a decent pick up. If they are able to re-sign Gerald Wallace they will be a team to watch out for next season.

Golden State, got rid of a massive salary, and were able to pick up a young gun.

Knicks/Portland trade is a strange one. Randolph is a decent player, not sure how he will fit into the Knicks system though, but obviously the Blazers do not require his services with Oden, Aldridge and now the Younger Frye. Francis is nothing really, Blazers will most likely buy out his contract.

Celts/Sonics trade is good for all involved. The Celts were crying out for another star and they got one in Ray Allen. Though Celtics fans may whinge about Rays age and salary, he will be a good pick up for them. The Sonics look like they are going for a total re-build, likely to lose Allen, Lewis and Ridnour, but now have young guns Durant and Jeff Green.

I hate that trade by the bobcats, they just re-signed Gerald Wallace, who, IMO, is their franchise player, he led the cats' in scoring this year.

Jason Richardson is an ok player and he will help the Bobcats out alot but Brandan Wright will be an all-star, shit, some mock drafts had him at #4.

He has amazing athleticism and he is good around the basket, and he shoots about 60% from the field, Bobcats could have used him nicely.

What are you doing MJ???

Knicks were the winners today, getting rid of Steve Francis with that contract he's got and getting Randolph. I think it was good for both NY and Portland.

Blazer's need a veteran, and even though Stevie has only been to the playoffs I think once in all the year's hes played in the NBA, he can bring alot to them..

Brandan Wright is going to be an awesome fit in Golden State.

Reasonably pleased with the Sonics' rebuild, would have preferred Brewer over Green, but not to worry. There is a lot of athleticism on the roster now.

Blazers are stacked too. They're going to buyout Francis. Almost the new Spurs... got a buddy for Rodriguez.

I hate that trade by the bobcats, they just re-signed Gerald Wallace, who, IMO, is their franchise player, he led the cats' in scoring this year.

Jason Richardson is an ok player and he will help the Bobcats out alot but Brandan Wright will be an all-star, shit, some mock drafts had him at #4.

He has amazing athleticism and he is good around the basket, and he shoots about 60% from the field, Bobcats could have used him nicely.

What are you doing MJ???

I guess they think they have enough young guns, and they want some more experienced talented players to help them along.

With Okafor, May, Morrison and Felton, the Bobcats have some nice young talent who will help the Bobcats be a contender in years to come.

C: Okafor
PF: May
SF: Wallace
SG: J Rich
PG: Felton

With Morrison, Knight, Brezec etc on the bench. This is a solid line up, and could do some damage in the weak Eastern Conference. The also have money to burn so MJ and co may make a few more additions.

What are you doing MJ???

I'd say there were looking for a 1-2 punch. They have drafted some prospects in the front-court in prior years, perhaps they think these guys will come along?... they ended up gettin Jared Dudley at #22

I cant say I dislike the deal... Felton & Richardson... Wallace... Okafor & Brezec/May... with Carroll now shifted to bench with Morrison, Knight, and #22 pick Dudley

Shame KG didnt go to Phoenix... could have been exciting

I guess they think they have enough young guns, and they want some more experienced talented players to help them along.

With Okafor, May, Morrison and Felton, the Bobcats have some nice young talent who will help the Bobcats be a contender in years to come.

C: Okafor
PF: May
SF: Wallace
SG: J Rich
PG: Felton

With Morrison, Knight, Brezec etc on the bench. This is a solid line up, and could do some damage in the weak Eastern Conference. The also have money to burn so MJ and co may make a few more additions.

haha... two steps ahead of me.

The also have money to burn so MJ and co may make a few more additions.

Can they?

They didnt send away anysalary in this deal, so its as if they are spending 11 million a year on a free agent. Assuming Wallace wants 10 mill a year...how much they got left??

I dont think Richardson is the guy to blow the loot on, especially when he's on the books for 4 years

Don't forget about Walter Hermann, depth-charters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can they?

They didnt send away anysalary in this deal, so its as if they are spending 11 million a year on a free agent. Assuming Wallace wants 10 mill a year...how much they got left??

I dont think Richardson is the guy to blow the loot on, especially when he's on the books for 4 years

Depends on how much cap space they had, all the talk during the end of season, was that they had a fair bit to spend and they were going to do so.

It might have all been taken up by re-signing Gerald and acquiring J-Rich. Who knows?

Don't forget about Walter Hermann, depth-charters.

True. I always forget about Walter. But he was playing some very good basketball at the end of last season. He has cool hair too.

With Herrmann, Carroll, Morrison, Knight, Brezez/May on the bench, thats some solid depth.

I think Seattle with Kevin Durant and Jeff Green are in a better position to make the playoffs in the next few years, and to win a championship than Portland are with the likes of Oden and all the draft day trades they did.

Seattle, big winners. I like to see a team commited to re-building. Shame losing Ray Allen because he's a great player but great to see them looking forward.

I think Seattle with Kevin Durant and Jeff Green are in a better position to make the playoffs in the next few years, and to win a championship than Portland are with the likes of Oden and all the draft day trades they did.

Seattle, big winners. I like to see a team commited to re-building. Shame losing Ray Allen because he's a great player but great to see them looking forward.

If they lose Lewis and Ridnour aswell, they will take a while to come good. However they will certainly be a team to watch out for in the future with all their kids.

Brandan Wright is going to be an awesome fit in Golden State.

Reasonably pleased with the Sonics' rebuild, would have preferred Brewer over Green, but not to worry. There is a lot of athleticism on the roster now.

Blazers are stacked too. They're going to buyout Francis. Almost the new Spurs... got a buddy for Rodriguez.
Do you think that the Sonics needed another SF?

Durant - SF/PF
Shard - SF
Green - SF
Szcerbiak - SG/SF
Gelebale - SF
Wilkins - SG/SF

Atlanta Hawks Circa 06-07 :D

Seriously though, i hope they trade one or 2 of their SFs for a decent C and a decent SG

Shard/Green for Gordon? or for Redd?

I really hope they don't stick with 6 small forwards and underachieve

Do you think that the Sonics needed another SF?

Durant - SF/PF
Shard - SF
Green - SF
Szcerbiak - SG/SF
Gelebale - SF
Wilkins - SG/SF

Atlanta Hawks Circa 06-07 :D

Seriously though, i hope they trade one or 2 of their SFs for a decent C and a decent SG

Shard/Green for Gordon? or for Redd?

I really hope they don't stick with 6 small forwards and underachieve

Well, it's not a terribly out of shape rotation when you have a look at it. A lot of positions by committee but have a look (assuming they re-sign Lewis, which was indicated to be happening on today's telecast)

Swift/Petro/Sene
Wilcox/Collison/Green
Lewis/Durant/Wilkins/Green
Durant/Wilkins/Gelabele
Ridnour/Watson

I wouldn't think Wally Z will play much of a role.

They also made the point that is looking to get a lot of tall athletes out on the court (yes, as you point out, similar to the Hawks). I'm willing to give Presti the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

Difference between the Sonics and Hawks is that we've got 3 seven-footers and a couple of decent point guards.

Well, it's not a terribly out of shape rotation when you have a look at it. A lot of positions by committee but have a look (assuming they re-sign Lewis, which was indicated to be happening on today's telecast)

Swift/Petro/Sene
Wilcox/Collison/Green
Lewis/Durant/Wilkins/Green
Durant/Wilkins/Gelabele
Ridnour/Watson

I wouldn't think Wally Z will play much of a role.

They also made the point that is looking to get a lot of tall athletes out on the court (yes, as you point out, similar to the Hawks). I'm willing to give Presti the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

Difference between the Sonics and Hawks is that we've got 3 seven-footers and a couple of decent point guards.

You forgetting about Delonte West??

Earl Watson is opting out as well isn't he?? That could make it a little more interesting.

Ah yes, how could I forget Delonte.

So ... a deep team. Not much cream, more... milk. Not without potential though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back