Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd happily roll the dice on McKay. He's been in a VFL system at Norf. Upside is massive.
Is it?

I don't think he is an elite lock down defender, his foot skills are poor, he has struggled to consistently stay on the park, i don't really rate his footy IQ.

He can take a grab i guess but we don't really need that. Not sure his upside is that high, best case is i think a solid best 22 player in a good team but i don't see him ever being an out and out gun key defender.

I genuinely wouldn't want him on more than say 500k and he will get offers better than that. Hope he is some other teams problem.

i guess McKay is probably better on Frost who has consistently gotten games over the past 2 seasons

if u got him on a 3-year contract you'd think that'd be around the time McCabe/draftee KPP starts demanding game time. then u can re-assess if McKay is still best 22. i guess as a free hit it makes sense in an area of need.

not particularly enthused about us targeting him, i don't think he's very good. but wat the heck* do i know

i guess McKay is probably better on Frost who has consistently gotten games over the past 2 seasons

if u got him on a 3-year contract you'd think that'd be around the time McCabe/draftee KPP starts demanding game time. then u can re-assess if McKay is still best 22. i guess as a free hit it makes sense in an area of need.

not particularly enthused about us targeting him, i don't think he's very good. but wat the ** do i know
North are likely going to have to ask about Frost anyway, whether McKay lands with us or not.

They’ve got Corr and then no one when McKay leaves.

North are likely going to have to ask about Frost anyway, whether McKay lands with us or not.

yeah if it lets us move on from Frost then i think it's a decent shout. just wonder whether taking on his contract would impair our other dealings during trade week or our plans for 2024 offseason. or at least limit our flexibility too much

Is it?

I don't think he is an elite lock down defender, his foot skills are poor, he has struggled to consistently stay on the park, i don't really rate his footy IQ.

He can take a grab i guess but we don't really need that. Not sure his upside is that high, best case is i think a solid best 22 player in a good team but i don't see him ever being an out and out gun key defender.

I genuinely wouldn't want him on more than say 500k and he will get offers better than that. Hope he is some other teams problem.
Spot on. IMO Blank is a better player than B.McKay and the only place in the Hawks premiership 22 that McKay could play is in Blank’s position. Even 500k is too much to pay. Many think DGB will become a quality defender. Again, this is the same position that McKay would play. A hard No from me… and not even for some deal that increases our draft hand.
Big money for a guy who will play reserves destroys the integrity of the reward system of a club. Just No.

Last edited:
yeah if it lets us move on from Frost then i think it's a decent shout. just wonder whether taking on his contract would impair our other dealings during trade week or our plans for 2024 offseason. or at least limit our flexibility too much
I doubt it.

If he was to nominate Hawthorn and we offer a contract that North match then we just offer to trade Frost and Morrison to them for him(who they’re supposedly sniffing around) and be done with it.

Yep. Frosty knows how things work. He was squeezed out of Melbourne with their trades for May and Lever.
Norf’s desert of tall defenders should have Frost as an obvious target. Which is good for us.
It will be interesting to see what happens given Clarko was possibly one of the decision makers to bring Frost to the Hawks.

Last edited:
I just saw that Cal Twomey said that Esava Ratugolea is a target for the Hawks. Was that his opinion or something that he has heard… who knows. But I see the poll above does not have Esava as an available option and there is not an “Other Player” option.

I guess I will not vote.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would much prefer McKay to Esava.
Happy to discuss. IMO everything that McKay does well, Esava does better. Both are a good mark under the high ball. Neither are fast. Esava is a better field kick (critical for the Hawks). Esava can play fwd and ruck.

McKay has One function = a defender stopper against the big slower fwds. Frankly I don’t see what other do in him.

Esava is a Swiss-army-knife tall. back / fwd/ tall, in each of these positions he can provide value.

I’d provide a good some of money on a longish time frame for a player who can be our Swiss-Army-Tall.

Ben McKay has never been, and has no projection that I have ever seen, to be within the top 100 players in the comp.
McKay would need to attract a contract of 900k for 5 years at a minimum for him to allow the AFL to use their “secret herbs and spices“ to have Norf get pick 3.

And that will not happen.

Blank is better than McKay in today’s game. Blank is faster, a better kick and is as good as a defender. McKay has an edge on interceptions but we don’t need that without Ben being better at the other traits… which he lacks.

It is a Hard No from me on Ben McKay to the Hawks. And a harder No on any AFL efforts to give the Norf charity.

Last edited:
#33 seems to have become as cursed as #36 since Cyril quit (possibly never to return to the club in any capacity 😢). Matty Walker, Brockman…
In Cricket the number 87 is 13 off 100. This is known as a cursed number. But statistics show that it is no different to any other number in the 80s. Zero curse.

Finding numbers to be cursed only inhibits the player’s and supporters mindset. So why present the idea?

If No 13 is bad and cursed, just ask Dylan Moore.

Every number at the Hawks is a good number.

Last edited:
In Cricket the number 87 is 13 off 100. This is known as a cursed number. But statistics show that it is no different to any other number in the 80s. Zero curse.

Finding numbers to be cursed only inhibits the player’s and supporters mindset. So why present the idea?

If No 13 is bad and cursed, just ask Dylan Moore.

Every number at the Hawks is a good number.
Except draft pick #6.
Fail Empire Strikes Back GIF by Star Wars

Except draft pick #6.
Fail Empire Strikes Back GIF by Star Wars
Funny but No

Stats say number 6 has not been great. But stats also say that some number within the top ten was always going to be lesser than other other 9. One number was always going to have fewer wins in a small set of numbers.

The number does not matter. It is entirely irrelevant. Choosing the right player matters. If we can get pick 5(6) I’d be stoked.

Last edited:
This poll is just hilarious. Nick Haynes is everybody's favourite target because they think he'll come with a first rounder attached. That's not happening, and it's a little sad. Think about how exciting Liam Ryan would be.

This poll is just hilarious. Nick Haynes is everybody's favourite target because they think he'll come with a first rounder attached. That's not happening, and it's a little sad. Think about how exciting Liam Ryan would be.
Don't need to take your name so literally mate.

McKay is a good footballer in a poor system I'd take him every day of the week.

Here is my attempt at our off season

Out- wingard
In- Melbourne f2

Out - hawks f2
In - Haynes + 11

Out- hawks f1 + 32
In - gc pick 5

Gold Coast might want a quality player for pick 5. But I think there current squad is young enough and dimma might do a mini reset, especially with the likes of Walter, read, Rogers coming through. Pick 32 attached to the dogs gives them more points this year while also getting pick 3-7 next season.

This one hurts but is probably fair on both parts with some later picks potentially swapped for a McCabe bid.

Out - brocky
In - Henry

In - 5,11,Haynes,Henry, Melb f2 , mckay?
Out- f1, f2, 32 ,wingard, brocky

Draft - pick 3 watson/dursma
Pick 5 Curtin/ O'Sullivan
Pick 11 caddy/ Wilson
Matched bid McCabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back