Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree you were a little stiff not to at least make the big dance in 2020. You were definitely the better team for 3 quarters against the Tigers. They were probably just a little more composed at the death. Had you have won, I think it would have been a legit 50/50 against the Cats at the Gabba however.

I think saying you should have won in 2014 is a bit of a stretch though, considering you finished 5th, and there were a number of stronger teams that season.
We finished 5th because we went from top of the ladder with 11 wins at the end of Round 14 to only win 3 out of our last 9 games and finish 5th. If we had an sort of mental fortitude we wouldn't have been that low to begin with.

Sounds a bit like this year, because surprise surprise we've lived this s**t before

Did they really blow it though? To me, blowing it is when you are clear favourites and fail to deliver. I don't believe they were ever quite at that level in either of those years. Although, I do agree they absolutely blew the chance to play in a GF in 2021. Can't imagine they would have beaten the Demons though.
Had Port brought in a premiership coach like Clarkson, he would have taken advantage of their 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 list. We saw that happen with Adelaide and Brisbane before where they completely changed once they brought in a competitive coach. Bad coach and culture is why Port failed, it's pretty obvious. They're stuck in a rut with Hinkley, it's such a strange circumstance since Port profess their identity is premierships but obsess over a loser coach. How many chances does he need to have to get a Grand Final appearance? Another 100 seasons?

Ah yes, the genius mind of kenninkley, hamstrung by a spud list that he himself has 11 years to assemble and said was the best one he'd coached? The spud list with 2 of the top ten mids in the comp, plus JHF, plus a Brownlow medallist?

There's always a "missing piece of the puzzle" isn't there?

I'll give you a clue, it's the ******* Muppet in the coaches box.

I've never seen a side look so terrified. Mental weakness is something that's coached. Hes actively talked up how scary finals are. Serial choker.

Will be 3-6 in the last 9 after we bomb out in straight sets.
They have 8 All-Australian players since 2020, so I don't get this "average list" excuse people use to defend Hinkley.

We finished 5th because we went from top of the ladder with 11 wins at the end of Round 14 to only win 3 out of our last 9 games and finish 5th. If we had an sort of mental fortitude we wouldn't have been that low to begin with.

Sounds a bit like this year, because surprise surprise we've lived this s**t before
2014 was their best chance. It started with their epic rise up the ladder in 2013, knocking Collingwood out in the EF and then giving Geelong a massive shock at HF a week later.

Port looked unbeatable in the first two thirds of 2014 but couldn’t sustain it for the latter part of the H&A season. A couple of really poor losses against Richmond who at the time were still languishing close to the bottom and Collingwood who could barely win a game in the second half that season.

Another few mins in that prelim in 2014, and Port would have beaten the hawks and taken apart the swans the following week. I always felt the Port side of 2014 was the one that should have delivered a premiership

2014 was their best chance. It started with their epic rise up the ladder in 2013, knocking Collingwood out in the EF and then giving Geelong a massive shock at HF a week later.

Port looked unbeatable in the first two thirds of 2014 but couldn’t sustain it for the latter part of the H&A season. A couple of really poor losses against Richmond who at the time were still languishing close to the bottom and Collingwood who could barely win a game in the second half that season.

Another few mins in that prelim in 2014, and Port would have beaten the hawks and taken apart the swans the following week. I always felt the Port side of 2014 was the one that should have delivered a premiership
Only under Hinkley. Whereas a better coach could have done much more in the last 10 seasons.

Had Port brought in a premiership coach like Clarkson, he would have taken advantage of their 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 list. We saw that happen with Adelaide and Brisbane before where they completely changed once they brought in a competitive coach. Bad coach and culture is why Port failed, it's pretty obvious. They're stuck in a rut with Hinkley, it's such a strange circumstance since Port profess their identity is premierships but obsess over a loser coach. How many chances does he need to have to get a Grand Final appearance? Another 100 seasons?
Brisbane have copped scrutiny in recent years for their record on the road and fair enough.
Port have somehow avoided the same scrutiny, the fact they haven't beaten a top 4 side on the road since 2015 is simply not good enough.

They have 8 All-Australian players since 2020, so I don't get this "average list" excuse people use to defend Hinkley.
It's ridiculous, and the dumbest ******* argument given that it's been 11 years and it's been his list the whole time, to the point he's refreshed it multiple times. Any list deficiencies you can find (key defender, ruck, wing, small forward) are because he failed to develop replacements. And he's had multiple goes at it at this point. Saying "it's a s**t list" is an indictment on Hinkley, not an argument for him.

Brisbane have copped scrutiny in recent years for their record on the road and fair enough.
Port have somehow avoided the same scrutiny, the fact they haven't beaten a top 4 side on the road since 2015 is simply not good enough.
Literally the only people that put Port and Hinkley under scrutiny are Port supporters. Everyone else accepts the performances as good enough and in fact actively tells Port supporters to stop whinging because it is good enough.

It's ridiculous, and the dumbest ******* argument given that it's been 11 years and it's been his list the whole time, to the point he's refreshed it multiple times. Any list deficiencies you can find (key defender, ruck, wing, small forward) are because he failed to develop replacements. And he's had multiple goes at it at this point. Saying "it's a s**t list" is an indictment on Hinkley, not an argument for him.
The excuse that it's never the coach's fault makes no sense, since he's been there for 11 seasons and he's the common denominator of no Grand Final appearances.

Maybe, but coaches like Clarkson are few and far between. The loss to the Bulldogs was horrific, yes, but that aside, I honestly don't know what more he could have done in those 2 seasons.

A minor premiership, a very unlucky prelim loss to a very experienced generational team , and then 17-5 in 2021, and I honestly don't believe Port was the clear standout in either of those seasons either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As we all know Ken Hinkley had a great start to his coaching career getting port into the 8 in his first year. On the back of his coaching and head fitness guru Darren Burgess. They backed that up by making the prelim the next year.

Port were rated a genuine flag threat in 2015 but missed the 8 all together.

Have coaches caught on to Hinkley's game plan or does he simply not have a plan b at his disposal? They have recruited big name players thinking they are a chance can their current game plan get them there?
Ken Hinkley is a high five guy on the boundary. Josh Carr is really running the show.

For some reason the AFL has decided that this job is Hinkley's for life and a lot of their lackies in the media are in on it.

And consolidate exponentially. And you did you. Awesome

Maybe, but coaches like Clarkson are few and far between. The loss to the Bulldogs was horrific, yes, but that aside, I honestly don't know what more he could have done in those 2 seasons.

A minor premiership, a very unlucky prelim loss to a very experienced generational team , and then 17-5 in 2021, and I honestly don't believe Port was the clear standout in either of those seasons either
To be honest, Gary Ayres couldn't have done much more in those 4 years at your club and I don't understand why they didn't offer him another 11 years at the end of 1999 and maybe another 11 years after that. It's not his fault

Clarkson isn't the only premiership coach, there would be others available, especially this year with Hardwick who they didn't pursue. Also, Grand Finalist coaches could come in and do a better job, like with Malcom Blight in 1996 when he was poached by Adelaide.

They obviously were not the stand out because of a bad coach and bad culture underneath him, those results are a reflection on Hinkley. There's a lot of nepotism happening under Hinkley, as well. That results in a really bad culture.

I think ports best chance was either 13,14 .
They played the Hawks and had shots all of the 50 sprayed them all over the place .
If Westhoff hung on to that mark late in the game .
I think ports best chance is every time. Your selection is also humorous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back