Review AAMI Community Series: Collingwood v Richmond - Tuesday Feb 27 @ 6:40pm. Ikon Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameron and Cox were both excellent today so the “one or two ruck” debate of last season is definitely put to bed so far this year.

Cox getting inside their heads and Richmond giving away a goal after the siren because they were too busy roughing Mason up was just comical.
One way or another, Coxzilla has Monstered Richmond since 2018 Prelim. Yes. The Legend, the Myth, the Man lives on.

Happy to get through without an injury.
Really have to wonder about the point of these games.
Playing another club increases the intensity and makes for a much better preparation for the real thing in two weeks time. We have to experience match play before the season starts and hammies and knees occur at general training anyway. What's another option?

Playing another club increases the intensity and makes for a much better preparation for the real thing in two weeks time. We have to experience match play before the season starts and hammies and knees occur at general training anyway. What's another option?
If no team experiences practice matches then is there a disadvantage? I agree with Jmac they’re becoming a bit pointless to me and no wonder the AFL has cut the amount down

Eh? McInness made, and halved several contests, took a strong contested grab and had 3 shots on goal in the space of a quarter and a half. Not sure he could have done much more outside of kicking straighter.
Thought Reef looked dangerous. AJ did some very nice things but still gives me the "unreliable vibe" when the heat is on. I don't think he has enough presence to be a McStay replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough one for me. AJ played the whole game and didn't do enough to earn his spot, if you base it solely on tonight's game. Reef came on and looked good but it's unfortunate we didn't see him play the whole game because he looked lively compared to tired legs.

I wish you could take Reef's presence and work rate and give him AJ's set shot 😩

If no team experiences practice matches then is there a disadvantage? I agree with Jmac they’re becoming a bit pointless to me and no wonder the AFL has cut the amount down
Three would be ridiculous but you have to have a game before the season starts whether you are playing suburban footy or in the AFL. No amount of drills or running can compare to the pressure and intensity of an actual game, even when it's a practice match. Places were up for grabs tonight. How can players like Charlie Dean, Reef and Finn get the chance to stake a claim if there are no actual games played? You need to see how a player performs under pressure.

Sparring before big fights is a must as well despite the fact that boxers get cut and concussed in the process. Tyson Fury is out for this very thing. But it is an essential part of a boxer's preparation just as the practice matches are for our boys.

Tough one for me. AJ played the whole game and didn't do enough to earn his spot, if you base it solely on tonight's game. Reef came on and looked good but it's unfortunate we didn't see him play the whole game because he looked lively compared to tired legs.

I wish you could take Reef's presence and work rate and give him AJ's set shot 😩
AJ has missed some sitters during the past two weeks.

I thought Deany was excellent. Nice to know we have him as a back up for Murph or Frampton. He may even start in the 23 based on that performance.
Dean reads the game well and was able to be proactive in his attack on the ball. My only query would be how he would go against a very tall forward with the ball dropping on their heads - Lynch for instance, the very first scalp Frampton claimed. I am surprised Dean didn't spend more of his time in the side lines in the gym. However, I will reserve judgement till I see more of him.

He was better than I expected him to be today. My preconceived view was that he was going to be embarrassedly ordinary, but he proved a pleasant surprise.

Personally, I would have Reef ahead of AJ and Dean ahead of Frampton ( if Murphy is unavailable )
Both have a superior work rate to the player they are competing with for the spot.

Also, Cox to always start in the ruck. We always look better when he is first ruck then drifts forward later in the qtr. Cameron’s best form seems to be when the pace goes out of the game. Plus Cox gets involved early and gets his confidence going with some early touches

Dean reads the game well and was able to be proactive in his attack on the ball. My only query would be how he would go against a very tall forward with the ball dropping on their heads - Lynch for instance, the very first scalp Frampton claimed. I am surprised Dean didn't spend more of his time in the side lines in the gym. However, I will reserve judgement till I see more of him.

He was better than I expected him to be today. My preconceived view was that he was going to be embarrassedly ordinary, but he proved a pleasant surprise.

With foot issues they probably don't want to much weight on him.

Same happened to Scharenberg, turned into a stick after his foot issues

Loved Noble, DeGoey, WHE, Quaynor and Lipinski.

Thought Hill looks ready to explode this year.

But overall, we would want some improvement in that second key forward position. Frampton and/or Dean seem perfectly serviceable as the second key back, but AJ and Reef were too bit part. We kick to McReery in a marking contest way too often. He is possibly the worst player overhead in the team. I think Reef could be the guy, but he is still a bit raw to explode right now.

GWS have a great defence, gonna be a tricky first up assignment.

Thought WHE was very good close to our best. I think we just write him off to easily these days

AJ gets the nod because of potential but will need to put it on the board early

Frampton in defence but Dean may surprise

Fin, well you probably know my thoughts on him

Reef and almost player but not a smart footballer when it hits the ground

Beau, well not sure, 2 or 3 bone crunching tackle aren’t enough for me.

Lippa, have been a critic but gee if he plays like tonight then that’s a huge bonus

Checkers lucky that’s his name, also needs to be more imposing

I think that will do for now.
Disagree on Checkers, he has already proved himself. Needs to protect himself from finals, he’s a veteran.

Interesting perspective on AJ, never thought of incentivising him that way. Given there is no real stand out, I could swallow that approach.

On Reef I get a similar sense, dumb footballers are better off in the backline. He could be a real weapon, don’t know much about his field kicking though.

Agree with the rest.

Is Krueger injured again?!

Loved Noble, DeGoey, WHE, Quaynor and Lipinski.

Thought Hill looks ready to explode this year.

But overall, we would want some improvement in that second key forward position. Frampton and/or Dean seem perfectly serviceable as the second key back, but AJ and Reef were too bit part. We kick to McReery in a marking contest way too often. He is possibly the worst player overhead in the team. I think Reef could be the guy, but he is still a bit raw to explode right now.

GWS have a great defence, gonna be a tricky first up assignment.

Cox was very good.

Rucked well and was big in the air all game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back