Review Geelong defeats Saints by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Typical Ross Lyon footy. The guy is a genius at coming up with game plans that will never stand up in finals. The slingshot thing in the first half is just never going to stand up when it matters. Jhye Clark physically bullied them in the first half. Imagine what a midfield of Bartel, Corey, Kelly etc would have done to them physically.

We had the chance to break their neck a couple of times and didn't take it which made it closer than it should have been.

Holmes, Bruhn and Clark were all good in the first 3 quarters, gassed a bit at the end and required Danger to step up and drag us over the line.

Dempsey was great.

Ollie Henry has a habit of not doing much in games but bobbing up in Q4 with a couple of critical plays.

Take the W and move on.
Drafted a bunch of quick athletes but not necessarily smart footballers. I hope it fails spectacularly. Flood the backline and gun it, how genius from that flog.
If we kicked straight it wouldn't have been as much of an issue, we got quick goals on end from the centre but when we kept missing it allowed Rossy to get numbers back.
If Rossy wasn't coaching stkilda I'd hope their poor supporter has success but whilst he is there, I hope they have a shit year and we can finally rid football of that piece of shit.

In all seriousness, happy enough with that.

Round 1 is always an eye-sore, and you add a Ross Lyon coached side on-top of that, and this is the result. 2011 case in point, and tonight was miles ahead of that.

The next gen looks superb, Dempsey & Holmes looked like superstars in particular tonight, but I really liked Bruhn's game too.

Had time and space, and genuinely racked in up despite 20 minutes out of the game.

Clark looked really promising too. His disposal will improve as he gets more accustomed to the level, but you can never fault his endeavour. Just never stops, and he's hurting the opposition while doing so.

Ollie Henry was clearly hampered, and either needed to blow out the cobwebs, or shouldn't have played at all...we'll wait and see.

Even so, played a little match winning cameo at the end, and took Wilkie out of the game for Jezza to do as he wished. We still won that battle at the end of the day.

SDK & Stengle where disappointing, but it's round 1, not exactly panicking on them just yet, and everything else looks in good shape.

If nothing else, we're going to be fun to watch this year, and even more so in the future. It's a very talented young cohort we've got developing at the moment.

Will need to be better to beat the Crows in Adelaide, and I reckon we'll be up for the fight.

Jack Riewoldt compared Dempsey to Shai Bolton after the game. Massive wrap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the glass half full take is that the midfield, clearly our weakness last year, carried us to victory against a good but not great opponent. Forward line probably wasn't done any favours by delivery but they were ineffective for long periods, and like last year the backline seemed to have some big structural failures (even as a lot of players had pretty good games). People are ragging SDK but I thought Jack Henry was really quiet, he can be a much more attacking threat. Clark and Bruhn good in midfield although both faded a bit late. Would like Mannagh to get a full game next week, he was extremely lively. Dangerously close to midnight for Tuohy.

Shout out to a couple of much maligned players who were great tonight. Kolodjashnij and O'Connor
100%. And they are both capable of this football. Then they have their games or moments that are dire to watch - the back half of 2023 there was a lot of that. But it's silly to give up on them. If they play like this all season they genuinely make us a better side. And despite Tuohy's late goal, I still think the onus should be on MOC to actually displace him from the side (role-wise) and someone like Bowes/Mannagh starts.

I was at a game v Collingwood in '79 at Kardinia, the official crowd I think says 30,496, there would have been 45 to 50k. It was actually dangerous what a lot of kids and teens were doing to get a vantage point.
How much of the ground was a standing terrace back then? I remember standing in the Gary Ablett Terrace in the 1990's - that was cool but it was only a tiny pizza slice of the whole KP pizza pie!

Some promising signs albeit I doubt we will challenge for top 6 this year.

Really happy with the younger crew - Dempsey in particular showed he will emerge this year to be a very handy forward. Another guy that can hit the scoreboard.

Just need to keep Holmes. He will be our best mid by the end of this year.

Danger looks terrific. Had some very good moments.

Thought Z.Guthrie was our best back. Was composed and made good decisions all night.

SDK and Close were the 2 main disappointments for mine. Both had poor seasons last year. Haven’t started thid years any better.
Besides a slight tendency to execute a horror disposal (there's usually a couple a game), Zuthrie is coming on leaps and bounds. Becoming a very good rebounder and winning 50/50s or tricky loose balls.

Mannagh in the starting 22 next week please.
4 points, no injuries afaik.
Nice to see Danger kicking that captain’s goal.
Lots to like re the younger players, but overall there will need to be improvement.

Can see him coming in for Stengle. Tyson was still limping after the game, and can't see us risking him next week travelling to Adelaide off a six day break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back