EDFL Premier Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Stupid comment. If you actually read the response, credit was given where warranted you Muppet. Playing the best you can't afford to have weak links. Had they played a lower talented team they probably would faired better. You take 3-4 of your best even at AFL level you will struggle to match elite opposition. Was never listed as an excuse, merely stating the facts.

Maybe as your 1st time post and lack of knowledge, make it your last!
Don’t cry…I didn’t even notice you or your post. I read the whole thread and there were DP supporters pumping them up to be world beaters only to go for the ‘we have a weakened line up’ excuse just before kick off.
It’s a crap excuse. Hope that this thread doesn’t have to read about that ever again. Strong clubs have depth. Strong clubs have next man up mentality. Strong clubs embrace the opportunity for others to succeed.
Don’t jump on here and say we are missing players. Nobody cares.

Don’t cry…I didn’t even notice you or your post. I read the whole thread and there were DP supporters pumping them up to be world beaters only to go for the ‘we have a weakened line up’ excuse just before kick off.
It’s a crap excuse. Hope that this thread doesn’t have to read about that ever again. Strong clubs have depth. Strong clubs have next man up mentality. Strong clubs embrace the opportunity for others to succeed.
Don’t jump on here and say we are missing players. Nobody cares.
Beautifully said hippster. There’s more tension in this thread at the moment then my bladder after a night on the Victoria Bitters.

Teams are always going to have injuries. Whether that’s at AFL level, EDFL level or lower grades. Between the injury excuse and the umpiring excuse I’m not sure what is worse. The griff went and demolished the auction house with key players out - and we don’t hear anything. The top teams have a next man up mantra and have players in the reserves that can come up and play at a high level. I laugh when people come in and defend their side like it’s the top teams fault that they don’t have depth to match them.

Rome wasn’t built in a day. Depth matters. Culture matters.

As for the hip and shoulder. I’ll knock off work in the arvo, go to the local for a beer then get home and analyze.

Beautifully said hippster. There’s more tension in this thread at the moment then my bladder after a night on the Victoria Bitters.

Teams are always going to have injuries. Whether that’s at AFL level, EDFL level or lower grades. Between the injury excuse and the umpiring excuse I’m not sure what is worse. The griff went and demolished the auction house with key players out - and we don’t hear anything. The top teams have a next man up mantra and have players in the reserves that can come up and play at a high level. I laugh when people come in and defend their side like it’s the top teams fault that they don’t have depth to match them.

As for the hip and shoulder. I’ll knock off work in the arvo, go to the local for a beer then get home and analyze.
Strathmore used the excuse plenty the week before.

Old mate Pat is burned EK to the ground. Heard that over 100 juniors and their parents left the club in the preseason cause of him. Any truth? Betting he leaves mid way through the year when he realizes they are fighting for relegation
6 jnr teams +U8 in 2023. its 3 +U8 in 2024, so probably lost 60 junior players. They will not be fighting for relegation.

Deer Park v Keilor - my game-day scenes from quarters 1,3 and 4. Great game and great atmosphere with enthusiastic supporters on both sides. The first quarter was the best with both sides kicking 3 goals. Keilor were too good in the second half and cruised to well deserved victory. Enjoy my on-the-ground-behind-the-fence vision.

Better vision than the actual live stream 👏

After watching the vision, EDS club advised player to take the 2, and risk more weeks by fronting up to tribunal
Pacco bloke going to tribunal tonight.

After watching the vision, EDS club advised player to take the 2, and risk more weeks by fronting up to tribunal
Pacco bloke going to tribunal tonight.
Probably based on the player he hit being concussed? The onus is on the player to tackle or pull out rather than bump in today’s footy otherwise the consequences can be weeks. Definitely didn’t appear like a thug act but just stupidity in today’s game.

Other incident didn’t look like much but definitely stupid to do with seconds remaining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No under 14’s so that will affect under 16’s next yr ..
Lots of clubs struggling for juniors also as seeing a decline in overall numbers.

What’s the answers!!! I think you need to invest $$$ into the program and employ someone with development experience to run them. I did see Avondale go with Wiggins ( ex AFL) and great interview I seen on their socials. Also creating a merger type alignment with Ascot Vale was a great move.
Always been against the bigger clubs raping the less fortunate clubs and there needs to be some rules around that. Maybe a points system introduced into junior footy. Where you can only have 2 or 3 from another club into 1 side. Would that help kids who do Auskick or under 10s are 1 pointers at that club. You move in under 12s or above your 3 points for the remainder of your junior footy outside the club you started at and within the same league. Just a thought I had..

Was s**t !!! Players even found it hard …
#10 for EDS thug act…. Pacco player kicked the ball and then was run into blind sided: concussion … out for 21 days… few hits behind play, and they seem to like stomping on opponents feet and ankles in stoppages…
Pacco #8 reported for striking as retaliation for dirty behind play antics… watch for it other clubs !
Pacco 10 goal winners
Thug act by number 8 from Pacco evening up maybe but on the wrong player

Last edited:
Lots of clubs struggling for juniors also as seeing a decline in overall numbers.

What’s the answers!!! I think you need to invest $$$ into the program and employ someone with development experience to run them. I did see Avondale go with Wiggins ( ex AFL) and great interview I seen on their socials. Also creating a merger type alignment with Ascot Vale was a great move.
Always been against the bigger clubs raping the less fortunate clubs and there needs to be some rules around that. Maybe a points system introduced into junior footy. Where you can only have 2 or 3 from another club into 1 side. Would that help kids who do Auskick or under 10s are 1 pointers at that club. You move in under 12s or above your 3 points for the remainder of your junior footy outside the club you started at and within the same league. Just a thought I had..
Definitely need to do something about bigger clubs, look what Keilor have done to Hillside and Taylors lakes over the years.

Definitely need to do something about bigger clubs, look what Keilor have done to Hillside and Taylors lakes over the years.
It’s been done to death, but restricting every club to a maximum 2 teams might be a solution. Alot of junior scores from the weekend were massive margins, it’s not great. Would have to be a VMFL/AFL Vic decision because we all know how the EDFL pander to the big 3!

APW made the news ...

Goulburn Valley: Former Mooroopna forward Chris Nield suspended for not speaking to salary cap investigators​

AFL Goulburn-Murray has made a big call on a former star player who is not co-operating with salary cap investigators.
David Johnston

2 min read
April 16, 2024 - 2:22PM
The Weekly Times

Former Goulburn Valley league star Chris Nield has been suspended for failing to co-operate with AFL Victoria salary cap investigators.
The dual Mooroopna best and fairest winner was banned for four matches from playing in any AFL-affiliated competition nationally.
He has played for Mooroopna for the past three seasons and topped the GV goalkicking with 82 goals in 2022 and represented the league against Ovens and Murray the last two seasons.
Under the landmark suspension handed down by AFL Goulburn-Murray’s player payments disciplinary committee last week, Nield cannot play for his new club, Airport West, in the Essendon District league.
But he has played two matches for Berrigan this season in the Picola District league that is not affiliated with the AFL.
League operations manager Shane Railton said Nield wouldn’t be able to play again while he was suspended.
“We’re trying to run a competition that is seen to have a lot of integrity so we can’t be seen to be allowing a player under suspension to play for one of our teams,” he said.
Former Mooroopna player Chris Nield, who previously played for Clarence in Tasmania. Picture: Nikki Davis-Jones

Former Mooroopna player Chris Nield, who previously played for Clarence in Tasmania. Picture: Nikki Davis-Jones
Nield played his two matches for Berrigan were before last week’s suspension was handed down.
AFL Victoria rules state: “Upon a request by the integrity officer and within seven days of that request, a player shall provide to the integrity officer such information or details concerning or relating to any payments promised, given or provided to, or applied for the benefit of the player or any associate of the player, by the club or any associate of the club.”

AFL Victoria chief executive Greg Madigan said the suspension highlighted the salary cap was working in country football.
“The process and outcome on this occasion is one example of the system working to assist clubs in being sustainable by addressing the issue of player payment demands whilst seeking to achieve evenly matched competitions with financially viable and sustainable clubs,” he said.
“Football bodies are serious about addressing the burden of player payments and ensuring compliance.

“The integrity of competitions is of paramount importance at all levels of the game and all stakeholders, including leagues, clubs and players, have a responsibility to adhere to the rules put in place.
“AFL Victoria has also committed to putting more resources and support towards the administration of the (salary cap) at the club level, which includes a pool of accredited investigation officers and more training delivered by the regional manager and club development leads which are in place across the state.”
Mooroopna made finals last year, but exited the premiership race in the first week.

It’s been done to death, but restricting every club to a maximum 2 teams might be a solution. Alot of junior scores from the weekend were massive margins, it’s not great. Would have to be a VMFL/AFL Vic decision because we all know how the EDFL pander to the big 3!
Agree been done to death but nothing changes - you can predict the top 4 already in Premier Keilor, Strathmore, Aberfeldie and Pascoe Vale

Just for your info the club was severely depleted with unavailabilitys yesterday. Captain of the 2's got married hence the reason for several old blokes running around.

Depth is no doubt an issue though with several departures from last season. We had 5-6 ressies players filling in for the 1's against the benchmark of the Premier competition who have touched up most on this division along the way.

Along with several serving suspensions from last years GF victory over WC and a few key 1's players also unavailable it was always going to be tough assignment. Hats off to Keilor as mentioned last week they are a class outfit and were no doubt considerably fitter than the lions running out the game way to strong for us.

Was an arm wrestle till the main break though with key personal to return.

I’ll ask. Why the f#%k did the captain of the 2’s get married the weekend of there first game in premier division.
6-7 months between footy seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back