Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t be surprised if every few weeks we bob up with a big performance similar to the Demons win. We should see a few like that on talent alone but I don’t think we will have the consistency this year in effort or application due to a few reasons. It wouldn’t surprise me if we turned things around this weekend after a 9 day break and a bit of a bashing in the media only to lose to the Crows the week after.

I’d like to see Reville, Sharp and Brain filtered in over the next few weeks to add more run and skill(Sharp won’t help much in the skill department but the other two will).

I’m also all for promoting Henry Smith or Logan Morris in place of Gardiner.
I like to try Morris.. Unless they drop Hipwood which they will not
Another 200cm tall skinny forward not the answer to replace Gardiner.
Defensively we get the ball run out of our forward line easy enough with Joe/Hippy.
I love to try Morris and have him and Rayner play as the extra talls. Like Elliot etc do at the pies.
Honestly I still like to play Hipwood on a wing for a few games see how he goes roaming around more.
Joe plays better up the ground as well.

Which asks the question of are we not rotating the list enough? Should we have been making more changes so that we had fresh legs in the game?
We also used only 64 of our 75 allowed interchanges. Was somebody else besides Ah Chee injured? This is usually the reason why a team's interchanges might be down. Port for example only had 58 on Friday night and finished with barely a bench at all. But I don't recall anyone else getting injured in Thursday night?

Interesting to know what the Giants did re training that week, they were also coming off a 5 day break and were well and truly running on top of the ground in their flogging of us.
I think playing at Docklands under the roof was a fair bit different than the Gabba that night. Altho Docklands is a terrible surface for other reasons.

Interesting to note that even tho the Brisbane v Geelong looked a much slower and dour game, the k's run in that game were 289 to 290 while in the Carlton v GWS game they were only 283 to 286. So our guys actually ran further against Geelong than the Giants guys did against Carlton.

We also used only 64 of our 75 allowed interchanges. Was somebody else besides Ah Chee injured? This is usually the reason why a team's interchanges might be down. Port for example only had 58 on Friday night and finished with barely a bench at all. But I don't recall anyone else getting injured in Thursday night?
Lachie for a start.

Well at last we're getting some airtime on Commercial TV.

Caro and Cornes are both right depending on which side of the fence you sit on.

But good to see they at least are recognising we exist.

Fwiiw Hutch hates us. Always has.

Lachie for a start.

Well at last we're getting some airtime on Commercial TV.

Caro and Cornes are both right depending on which side of the fence you sit on.

But good to see they at least are recognising we exist.

Fwiiw Hutch hates us. Always has.
I quite like Kane to be honest but he's had a bit of a swing and a miss here. Basic synopsis of the conversation (which started on the weekend on SEN)

Kane: Their effort was no good

Caro: Why was it no good?

Kane: That's what we want to hear from Fagan but he's got no idea

Caro: So if you think it's so obvious, you tell us what you think happened

Kane: Caro it's so obvious: their effort was no good.

adorable chasing tail GIF

Looks like there is going to be a long, well-reasoned bit of analysis on the ABC this week:

I'd recommend waiting to read that rather than wasting time with footy classified.

I actually messaged Sean last week when you gave his articles a plug! Apologised for being a flog and losing them. Did say he was working on a Lions piece. This must be it.

Looking forward to it.

Another graphic - goals scored where the only kick was the scoring one. Notice who three of the opponents are in this graphic?

I don't know what I'm more angry about... The fact we're there 3 times in the "against" column or the fact they've used "own goal" to describe the goal the team is defending. It's football not sokkah!

I just think a few were managed time wise on the bench, Neale being one.
I would guess that with one injury it is usually around the 69/70mark.
The week before when Oscar and Stewart went down about the same time. Lions 59 Cats 67.

So maybe we are managing a few with niggles not necessarily injuries.

Below from Fan Footy in the GWS game. Listed in TOG order.
Just looking at a few players season averages from 2023. Neale 87%, Dunkley 81%, Berry 76%
McCluggage shown up on some footage struggling to chase.
His TOG last year was 81% so plus 6% v GWS in the wet.
Arguably 2 of our best 3 players were the 2 with the least TOG being Dunkley and Berry.

1714391443139.png

I just think a few were managed time wise on the bench, Neale being one.
I would guess that with one injury it is usually around the 69/70mark.
The week before when Oscar and Stewart went down about the same time. Lions 59 Cats 67.

So maybe we are managing a few with niggles not necessarily injuries.

Below from Fan Footy in the GWS game. Listed in TOG order.
Just looking at a few players season averages from 2023. Neale 87%, Dunkley 81%, Berry 76%
McCluggage shown up on some footage struggling to chase.
His TOG last year was 81% so plus 6% v GWS in the wet.
Arguably 2 of our best 3 players were the 2 with the least TOG being Dunkley and Berry.

View attachment 1974769

What I take away from this is key defenders work really really hard for far less of the glory than mids or forwards. Harris, Payne and Frog all in the top six for TOG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to argue with much on Footy Classified with the Lions being the top of the agenda and deservedly getting our right whack. That clip they played of Roos and Buckley was damning (assuming they’re experts) of their criticism. I’ve come around that I hope Chris steps down at seasons end. The club needs a complete refresh from recruiting to coaches, list overhaul and even a new CEO not necessarily all in six months but over the next 18 months.

What I take away from this is key defenders work really really hard for far less of the glory than mids or forwards. Harris, Payne and Frog all in the top six for TOG.
Harris most years is amongst the top few guys for total game time (least rest) in the whole comp. Key defenders get very little rest.

Hard to argue with much on Footy Classified with the Lions being the top of the agenda and deservedly getting our right whack. That clip they played of Roos and Buckley was damning (assuming they’re experts) of their criticism. I’ve come around that I hope Chris steps down at seasons end. The club needs a complete refresh from recruiting to coaches, list overhaul and even a new CEO not necessarily all in six months but over the next 18 months.
I am not sure how long you have been a member/supporter but I have been around since that very first game the Bears played against the Kangaroos and honestly there have been at least 3 times as many bad years than good. Everyone on here knows the problems we are facing this season and Fages limitations as a game day coach, who I believe will depart after his current contract expires if not before, but do you actually understand how difficult it is to attract good football people to Brisbane or QLD?
Leigh Mathew’s came because of the incredible talent on the list at the time, same with Hardwick, Nobes and Swann were recruited by the AFL and Fages was part of that process too. Greg Swann has done more to stabilise the club off field re sponsorship and financial well-being than anyone imo, and when we lost Andrew Ireland to Sydney the club went backwards quickly with CEO’s that weren’t up to it, and attracting highly rated assistants has always been problematic.
I fear for our club if a couple or all of Fagan, Swann, Daley (Suns still courting Daley)and lethal depart over the next year or so because I believe we will struggle to replace them with the quality we need because interstate teams need to be better in all facets than Melbourne based teams to be successful.
Your constant bleating and and cheering of anyone in the media that bags the club is both tiresome and knee jerk at best, it seems now you almost want a fire sale, everyone must go, players, recruiters, coaches and now the CEO, I would hope the people running the club are more levelheaded and measured when making decisions regarding our future because sacking people when things are getting a bit tough doesn’t necessarily work.

Not a whole lot of substance in that article unfortunately

Writing up an article that is 50% quotes from Paul Roos, one of the great coaching frauds of the last decade.

So so funny that he was hired as a 'consultant' at Norf whilst still living in Hawaii, because for immigration reasons he had to stay in the US.

To be clear, that is not the article to look forward to from the ABC this week.

Is this a bot? This account seems to say variations of the same thing all over this board.

I am not sure how long you have been a member/supporter but I have been around since that very first game the Bears played against the Kangaroos and honestly there have been at least 3 times as many bad years than good. Everyone on here knows the problems we are facing this season and Fages limitations as a game day coach, who I believe will depart after his current contract expires if not before, but do you actually understand how difficult it is to attract good football people to Brisbane or QLD?
Leigh Mathew’s came because of the incredible talent on the list at the time, same with Hardwick, Nobes and Swann were recruited by the AFL and Fages was part of that process too. Greg Swann has done more to stabilise the club off field re sponsorship and financial well-being than anyone imo, and when we lost Andrew Ireland to Sydney the club went backwards quickly with CEO’s that weren’t up to it, and attracting highly rated assistants has always been problematic.
I fear for our club if a couple or all of Fagan, Swann, Daley (Suns still courting Daley)and lethal depart over the next year or so because I believe we will struggle to replace them with the quality we need because interstate teams need to be better in all facets than Melbourne based teams to be successful.
Your constant bleating and and cheering of anyone in the media that bags the club is both tiresome and knee jerk at best, it seems now you almost want a fire sale, everyone must go, players, recruiters, coaches and now the CEO, I would hope the people running the club are more levelheaded and measured when making decisions regarding our future because sacking people when things are getting a bit tough doesn’t necessarily work.

Post of the week :trophy: .

Only about two years.

You’re deadest deluded if you think everyone knows the problems we’re facing this season. I see a lot of Kool Aid drinking, rose coloured glasses wearing and head in the sand posting from many who refuse to accept what is happening or worst yet, dismiss every single footy expert as if they’re crazy for daring to suggest that things aren’t great, Fagan is a great tactician etc etc.

I’m not the only one suggesting we need a new coach or some players should be moved on who may choose to leave themselves because they can see their best opportunity for a flag away from the Lions after being unsuccessful in the 19-23 period. You make out I’m happy about this or that I’m off my rocker for thinking we’ve blown our window.

Who also said anything about fire sales? I didn’t. Do you seriously think doing nothing is going to change things? I hope not, but smarter people than I are saying that we’re trying to play like we were years ago. It ain’t working. Did you watch the past fortnight and the efforts of many of our senior players. Are you telling me they care or are doing everything they absolute can to want to atone for last year. I can’t. The footy experts can clearly see we aren’t.

Also have you looked at our
drafting. It’s not pretty if you take out the father sons or some of the academy boys and then take a look at our opposition and what they are doing. How do we have so many gaps in our list.

We can agree things are tough, but I’m actually a realist and can see through the BS and like I keep saying, why do so many assume that Fages leaving is the end or Swann who has been great but also been a long time.

Anyway, as someone who has only followed the club a short while and clearly knows nothing, I’ll defer to people with your viewpoint that everyone keeps their changes and we do the same thing and hope like Christ that we somehow miraculously turn it around in 24 or 25 when we get three players back from ACL’s who will instantly return to pre injury form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back