Essendon vs Brisbane - Rd 18, 2016 - Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont know why brisbane didnt tank here. seems as stupid of a win since they beat the bulldogs in that dead rubber last year too. The win counts for very little if you're going to throw up trash for the next 5 games.

Easy, the Lions have pride and just like Round 23 last year they tried their best to avoid coming dead last and still ended up getting the player they wanted in the draft anyway. Which they likely will again in this years draft too.

You still played well when the ASADA investigation was over your heads (good enough to make the finals), and some of your players still played well last year (like Heppell). So that's not really an excuse.

The truth is your list right now, even with those players back isn't as good as you think it is. A year being out of the game and without the elite facilities most players are accustomed to will show.

And really, Bomber was a much better coach than Worsfold is now. So your coaching is worse.

I think there is a real possibility that some of the 12 wont be as effective as some are hoping, we saw it with Ryan Crowley, even though he was trying, he often seemed a yard of the pace of the game.

I disagree that Woosha is a poor coach, he has unearthed several good young kids and with bigger more experienced bodies such as Heppell, Essendon should be more competitive next season, but I will wait until the list is finalised before making any predictions on next season.

Dont know why brisbane didnt tank here. seems as stupid of a win since they beat the bulldogs in that dead rubber last year too. The win counts for very little if you're going to throw up trash for the next 5 games.
Rightly or wrongly the Brisbane Bears/Lions have never tanked. At the moment we're just not good enough.

Your mob shouldn't even get pick 1. What a farce that you get access to the best talent in the country and then push for top 8 next season. Your team is not the worst in the comp it is clearly Brisbane which keeps getting hammered by all manner of s**t off field. Compromised drafts during a rebuild, player exodus and now cheats taking the cream. In saying that though I doubt it would have much effect considering the evenness of the first few talents.

Just deal with it, Some of you blokes complaining need help.

I've always defended Australian people when my old man calls them sooks I think he may be right.

What's the incentive for tanking? Our young guys and Vic supporters needed a win.

No offence but I think some Hawks supporters have become a bit fat and happy and oxygen deprived being at the top of the ladder so long. They've forgotten what it's like spinning your wheels at the bottom trying to gain any sort of traction and belief you can.

Exactly, Should of seen us walking out of the stadium yesterday we were all gutted we really thought we could win that, We all desperately wanted the win.

Cheered me up when I saw a young lions fan with his dad singing the song loudly and proudly though.

Not really. You seem very, very intent on seeing it otherwise though, so I will just step back and let you have it.

Would the Lions pass on Hipwood selection if the Redden deal wasn't made? If yes then there is a correlation between the events otherwise it is just an association. Lets face it if the Redden trade wasn't made then it would be later selections which would change not the Hipwood selection.

We haven't tagged anyone all year. And for me the first sign of tanking was resting Bird, Has been our best center clearance mid all season.
Yep. Brisbane were far hungrier and too good on the day but I'm still filthy with some elements of yesterday. The resting of Bird was pure arrogance from a club who hasn't earnt it. The non matchup on Rich was shocking, we didn't even need to tag him but getting something within 30m of him would of been a start. Blind Freddy could see we were getting smashed in the clearances and Leuey was tapping it straight down their throats yet he persisted with the same 3 kids in the Center square for 99% of the game almost as if to teach them lesson. At some point surely Goddard or someone else gets a go there to break it up and try something different. Was almost like we didn't want to win and that's what hurts me the most

What's the point? The win boosted team /supporter morale and we still have pick 2. Unless there was someone we badly wanted that we knew Essendon would select with pick 1. Otherwise zero incentive to tank.

First sign of Essendon tanking was not tagging Rich
Absolutely correct. If Essendon wanted to win this they wouldn't have allowed free rein to so many of the Brissy playmakers. Worsfold looked happily smug with what was happening on field.

With no clear standout at pick 1, Dodoro probably wants to get the spoon so he can trade pick 1 for multi picks AND knowing his style and form wanted the threat of pick 1 in the PSD to try and screw over other clubs for players being traded in. The guy is well known as the most disliked recruiter in the game. Yesterday's tanking had Dodoro written all over it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely correct. If Essendon wanted to win this they wouldn't have allowed free rein to so many of the Brissy playmakers. Worsfold looked happily smug with what was happening on field.

With no clear standout at pick 1, Dodoro probably wants to get the spoon so he can trade pick 1 for multi picks AND knowing his style and form wanted the threat of pick 1 in the PSD to try and screw over other clubs for players being traded in. The guy is well known as the most disliked recruiter in the game. Yesterday's tanking had Dodoro written all over it!

No tanking involved just Essendon are s**t.

As for Worsfold being smug in the box has nothing to do with tanking more to do that he couldn't believe how shocking our skills/goal kicking were.

Last edited:
Yep. Brisbane were far hungrier and too good on the day but I'm still filthy with some elements of yesterday. The resting of Bird was pure arrogance from a club who hasn't earnt it. The non matchup on Rich was shocking, we didn't even need to tag him but getting something within 30m of him would of been a start. Blind Freddy could see we were getting smashed in the clearances and Leuey was tapping it straight down their throats yet he persisted with the same 3 kids in the Center square for 99% of the game almost as if to teach them lesson. At some point surely Goddard or someone else gets a go there to break it up and try something different. Was almost like we didn't want to win and that's what hurts me the most
It's ironic that the only time Leuey has tapped the ball accurately to lions players is when their
in opposition. Go figure.

Was a poor coaching performance by Woosha and his assistants.

It's ironic that the only time Leuey has tapped the ball accurately to lions players is when their
in opposition. Go figure.

Took me 45 seconds to find this. Two examples right at the start.

Bit of respect for a solid club servant never goes astray.

Took me 45 seconds to find this. Two examples right at the start.

Bit of respect for a solid club servant never goes astray.

Congratu*alations on finding the only two correct disposals he made in his carreer,thats why we unloaded him, sorry Bomber fans, stick to the Brissie board, you are so sanctimonious that you are a disgrace to old Fitzroy supporters.

Congratu****alations on finding the only two correct disposals he made in his carreer,thats why we unloaded him, sorry Bomber fans, stick to the Brissie board, you are so sanctimonious that you are a disgrace to old Fitzroy supporters.

Haha. Never change. One of my favourite BigFooty joke accounts.

Am a closet bombers fan, their history, legends and supporters are second to none. Look forward to an interesting 2017 for them. The new kid at centre half back is astonishing. His judgement and clean hands and disposal indicate he will be a star in years to come. And the lions have exciting young ones, Schache,Hipworth, Mathieson (reminds me of the old Carlton mosquito fleet) and our kid at chb will be champions. This was a game for the future, and the future is soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back