Malcolm Turnbull - How long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The leaking and counter-leaking going on about such a small thing as Ruddy's push for Sec Gen is a huge warning sign (if we haven't had enough of those already, pre-election and during the fall-out of the poor result).

Brandis and Turnbull stuffing up on the Royal Commission rush is going to look doubly as bad if Labor gets the Banking Royal Commission up.

Now Peter Hendy has been appointed as Turnbull's economic adviser as a 'thanks for supporting me' gesture. You would think having someone a bit more independent would be a good idea considering the dearth of good ideas that has come out of the Liberals. Hendy has been the Chief of Staff to Peter Reith during Children Overboard, and Brendon Nelson in his short run as Opposition Leader. Good advice doesn't seem like a strong suit.

The evidence of 2009, during Govt, and since rising to leader once more all suggests Turnbull might not actually be much chop. As bad as it sounds, this seems to be the problem of not being a 'career politician'. He keeps getting the balance wrong between what he has to do publicly and in the party room.

Interview on 7.30 last night with John Edwards former RBA board member (only just stepped down).

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2016/s4513085.htm

Thought that this exchange was interesting:

SABRA LANE: The ratings agencies have put the Turnbull Government and the new Parliament on watch, effectively saying that if the Government' spending plans, to cut spending isn't on track or the Government doesn't raise taxes, that the triple A credit rating is at risk. Do you think that the Government's plans are enough to safeguard that triple A credit?

JOHN EDWARDS: Well I don't think the Government has a convincing plan to substantially reduce the deficit within a reasonable timeframe; that is, it's current plan depends upon a very, very big increase in personal income tax collections of the order of 20 per cent over the next three years and that really involves something like a 10 to 15 per cent increase in the personal income tax paid by all employees and basically I don't think that's on. So I think we've got to look at other forms of tax increases to substitute for that bracket creep.

SABRA LANE: What sorts of things? The Government's got superannuation changes already in its sight.

JOHN EDWARDS: Yeah, I think we need to do more in super. We need to do more in capital gains tax. You know, I don't know that we need a company tax cut at this point. Those are areas I'd be looking at to offset the increase in personal income tax.

Seem to have heard this from the party that lost the election.

Last edited:

So the trend wit mr rabbott was to merge all threads into a megathread, and wit mr turnable, its split out into individual subjects?
That Mod is now gone (and remember it wasn't "all threads" it was "all negative threads"). The idea I think is to have more news based threads so casual users can get involved, rather than long threads just becoming a community. Especially considering that 'community' in SRP can form into sides of an issue and can often be nit-picking at each other, so it's not welcoming to outsiders.

People may believe Turnbull is at arms length from the continuing campaign against NBN leakers, but if he isn't it suggests our outwardly ultra moderate PM has a nice streak of fascism somewhere in there

Whoda thunkit?

People may believe Turnbull is at arms length from the continuing campaign against NBN leakers, but if he isn't it suggests our outwardly ultra moderate PM has a nice streak of fascism somewhere in there
You dont make the money Turnbull has in the industries Turnbull has without being an a-hole.

Also, after being played, even pwned by john howard it the false republic vote. Amazing that tyrnable will do the same thing with the plebiscite,

That is engineer it to fail

Since Abbott spent four years lusting and scheming to take down the Gillard govt with very vocal support, I guess everyone Is OK with it if Shorten actually manages to take down the turnbull govt?

I don't see why Turnbull even bothered challenging if he didn't have the balls to take on the nutters in his party.
But according to Dan, he has so much influence will be a piece of cake to take down the nutters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seem to have heard this from the party that lost the election.

He was an adviser to Keating.

The evidence of 2009, during Govt, and since rising to leader once more all suggests Turnbull might not actually be much chop.

Ratts I would suggest that you are being rather too kind.

Last edited:
Since Abbott spent four years lusting and scheming to take down the Gillard govt with very vocal support, I guess everyone Is OK with it if Shorten actually manages to take down the turnbull govt?

Wouldn't have to do a heck of a lot to achieve that.

Let's look at these Omnibus bills just introduced. Yes there are savings both sides support.

However in one particular saving, there is a $100 million plus black hole in it. Ummm errr.....

Pynes face after he spent four years dreaming up schemes to do this to Gillard, then tony didnt las the distance, turnbull either, ans within a week the opposition takes control

Theyre not an adult govt, theyre not a listening government.

They are however, a very lazy government, some couldn even turen up for a full weeks work

Pynes face after he spent four years dreaming up schemes to do this to Gillard, then tony didnt las the distance, turnbull either, ans within a week the opposition takes control

Theyre not an adult govt, theyre not a listening government.

They are however, a very lazy government, some couldn even turen up for a full weeks work

who have the cheek to criticise the ALP for tactics used..yet call a DD election using a poorly written piece of legislation as the trigger, * off already.

Wow. From memory the Gillard minority government didn't lose a single vote on the floor of the house. Coalition already lost a couple. To think Labor was a single vote away from getting a banking royal commission through the house. Going to be a fun three years. Well, a fun parliament for however long it lasts.

Hmrdl48.jpg
MtezWVA.jpg
DEjlOBi.jpg

Wow. From memory the Gillard minority government didn't lose a single vote on the floor of the house. Coalition already lost a couple. To think Labor was a single vote away from getting a banking royal commission through the house. Going to be a fun three years. Well, a fun parliament for however long it lasts.

Only a matter of time until the parliamentary calendar clashes with an international summit or two. Julie Bishop will love having to send underlings in her place.

That experience made labor match fit for this scenario -Albo made it all work for Gillard but Slug Christensen is hated by everybody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back