Training 2017/2018 Pre-season Thread

Who will be our most improved for 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry Dear had such a poor season this year that for him to make the best 22 in 2018 would have him taking our this trophy easily.

The fact he is still on the list means someone has not given up on him just yet. But surely he must hit the track hard this pre season and start dominating at SANFL level as he did a number of times in his first year.
My initial guess would be was we kept him cause he was still contracted and didn't have another decent pick to use to replace him.

Quite a few names on that list that you would hope have plenty of improvement in them. promising for the next few years..

Having to pick just one, I went for Keath. There is a gap in our defence with Lever gone, and as yet Doedee is unknown at the level. Keath has some nice attributes and will have benefitted from the games he got this year, despite the horror on Buddie.

Quite a few names on that list that you would hope have plenty of improvement in them. promising for the next few years..

Having to pick just one, I went for Keath. There is a gap in our defence with Lever gone, and as yet Doedee is unknown at the level. Keath has some nice attributes and will have benefitted from the games he got this year, despite the horror on Buddie.
Just depends on whether we opt for a more mobile defense next year ......if people have the tape of the early season Hawthorn game at the "G" ......Hawthorn did to us in the 1st qtr, what Richmond did .........pressured our defense, forced turnovers, and easy re-entries .....may need to be a bit more mobile?

Not that it really matters, but just curious

when the 1-4 year players start training, will Gibbs & Gibson be apart of the group? They've had 4 weeks longer holidays than the rest of the squad

Re-watching the prelim, Jenkins was ******* s**t, he has a lot of work to do in the pre-season.

I think he was significantly spooked by the rib injury early in the season. He was looking pretty good through the preseason and in the first game, but didn't return the same player. We also erred by not forcing him to spend more time in the magoos, needed to genuinely get his confidence back and also learn to not take his spot for granted.

Not that it really matters, but just curious

when the 1-4 year players start training, will Gibbs & Gibson be apart of the group? They've had 4 weeks longer holidays than the rest of the squad
Almost 100% grantee Gibson will be there he wants to play AFL. and I would expect Gibbs, Expect a few of the 4 plus player to attend as well.

I think he was significantly spooked by the rib injury early in the season. He was looking pretty good through the preseason and in the first game, but didn't return the same player. We also erred by not forcing him to spend more time in the magoos, needed to genuinely get his confidence back and also learn to not take his spot for granted.

Oh yeah the club is equally to blame for piss weak Jenkins, they allow it.

The 'organic growth' meme will become widely accepted as genius as with the exit of Lever and Cameron - Doedee, Milera and Gallucci will stamp themselves as future guns of competition, relishing the opportunity they have been given. Additionally, Poholke and O'brien will play games - showing developing depth in the midfield, removing it as an area of weakness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yeah the club is equally to blame for piss weak Jenkins, they allow it.
It takes a very strong minded and selfless guy to say to selectors "No blokes I'm not ready so leave me in the reserves for a couple of weeks".

No one wants to play there, but we had to be stronger rather than see one good week, but that's what happens to best 22 players.

So of the three Italians drafted last year, only one has signed. what is unusual is not that the other two have not signed, but that Poholke has. The reason the other two have not could well be that the club, they or both are waiting to see how they perform next year to see what an appropriate extension or price should be.

Gallucci is Vic Metro. Of course he is gone.
So of the three Italians drafted last year, only one has signed. what is unusual is not that the other two have not signed, but that Poholke has. The reason the other two have not could well be that the club, they or both are waiting to see how they perform next year to see what an appropriate extension or price should be.
Gallucci would first have to attract the attention of the Melbourne clubs. He would need to be intrenched in the 22.
He would also need to be outstanding in his position to receive offers from home.

At this stage I can’t see this happening in the next 2 years unless he has a breakout year in 2018. Perhaps this is what he is hoping for before excepting any contract from the club. It’s a bit of a gamble from his point of view but it could be the new player/manager tactic for any young Vic playing interstate.

The gamble is if he doesn’t produce in 2018 there may be no contract offer of any kind.

Gallucci is Vic Metro. Of course he is gone.

I think Gallucci will be all about opportunity, if he's struggling for a spot at the end of 2018 we may be in strife, if he's in the side I think he'll stay.

The trouble we have as a club is we're going to go into 2018 with 4 first rounders drafted in the last 3 years who are not clearly best 22 and will be fighting with more senior players for spots. There's no point having first round draft picks if we're going to starve them of opportunity in the 2's. We might as well have traded Gibbs last year for 13 and our first this year if Gallucci's only going to knock off back to Victoria at the end of 18 due to lack of opportunity.

If the coaching staff are unlikely to actively open up opportunities for young talent, as a list manager your better off using your first rounder on proven talent, or even swapping it for a future pick.

As an example, late in the year Cameron was playing poor footy, we could have rested him for a couple of games and introduced Gallucci or Poholke, or even given Menzel whom we also paid a decent price for a final opportunity. We also brought in Gallucci for Mackay in Brisbane, only to swap back without Mackay even playing a SANFL game.

I'm all for consistency and I think for the most part our coaching staff get selection pretty spot on, but there's no point with drafting all this young talent with valuable picks if we're just going to back in the experienced incumbents anyway.

I think Gallucci will be all about opportunity, if he's struggling for a spot at the end of 2018 we may be in strife, if he's in the side I think he'll stay.

The trouble we have as a club is we're going to go into 2018 with 4 first rounders drafted in the last 3 years who are not clearly best 22 and will be fighting with more senior players for spots. There's no point having first round draft picks if we're going to starve them of opportunity in the 2's. We might as well have traded Gibbs last year for 13 and our first this year if Gallucci's only going to knock off back to Victoria at the end of 18 due to lack of opportunity.

If the coaching staff are unlikely to actively open up opportunities for young talent, as a list manager your better off using your first rounder on proven talent, or even swapping it for a future pick.

As an example, late in the year Cameron was playing poor footy, we could have rested him for a couple of games and introduced Gallucci or Poholke, or even given Menzel whom we also paid a decent price for a final opportunity. We also brought in Gallucci for Mackay in Brisbane, only to swap back without Mackay even playing a SANFL game.

I'm all for consistency and I think for the most part our coaching staff get selection pretty spot on, but there's no point with drafting all this young talent with valuable picks if we're just going to back in the experienced incumbents anyway.
I do agree that making the GF reinforces to the selectors that they are doing the right things, but the rest of your post echoes my feelings. 2 years in a row where selection was about best 22 and not best 19 + 3 or best 20 + 2.

I cant think of too many games where we would have won or lost by playing a few more rookies. Transitioning players in and out reminds me of the Australian Cricket side. Shaun ******* Marsh ffs

I do agree that making the GF reinforces to the selectors that they are doing the right things, but the rest of your post echoes my feelings. 2 years in a row where selection was about best 22 and not best 19 + 3 or best 20 + 2.

I cant think of too many games where we would have won or lost by playing a few more rookies.
Transitioning players in and out reminds me of the Australian Cricket side. Shaun ******* Marsh ffs
GC injuries each year open opportunities ......the club got games into Milera early, blooded Gallucci ......but players have to be both AFL ready & a position available

I can't think of a player that deserved an opportunity, can you?

Back