Get rid of drop in wickets

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the irony of all the precious Vics defending the pitch and ground when just about everyone is slamming the **** out of it and is now being investigated

‘Premier’ test maybe should be moved elsewhere...
Irony?
Please don't use words that you clearly don't understand and are too stupid to use correctly;)

Not many Vics defending this pitch as it's undefendible, but let's be honest the GABBA wasn't much better this year just that the English were a absolute disgrace but as for your last point, the Boxing Day test will never be moved.

What does the pitch have to do with the ground?

Because Joffa flog was sprouting his mouth claiming that MCG is the greatest ground on planet earth and how it’s going to be packed to the rafters most of the test. WRONG! The highlight was a 15-20% capacity crowd on Day 5 on a Saturday with a result in the balance...

I just wanted to reiterate that had it not been a public holiday or Boxing Day on day 1, 50,000 people may have been a stretch for day 1 and the crowds dwindled quiet considerably after day 1 more than usual. But I thought the MCG held so much theatre

So much so that the so called ‘premier test’ didn’t even hit 15,000 (of which 12,000 were probably the barmy Army) people in a 90,000 capacity ground when the test was still in the balance for one side. There may have been other factors at play but the facts are as great as you lot want to push this MCG aura agenda, the pitch it housed is a disgrace and the worst in the country, and having 15,000 people in a 90,000 capacity ground on day 5 with a result still possible and on a Saturday is a disgrace. Yet you Victorians will bury your head in the sand like usual. Until the next test starts so that you can start pushing your little man agendas onto everyone again and belittle anything that isn’t Victoria or MCG when in reality you are all seeking validation form the rest of the country so that you feel ‘important’ for once in your lives.

I’m starting to think most of the Vics are acting out because for the so called sporting culture of the country, I would have thought they’d have at least one player that’s good enough to make the national side

Regarding day 5, the first 3 tests CA made it gold coin donation to get in, the MCG test day 5 they wanted $30 when the result of a draw was almost a foregone conclusion.
Bit continue with your hypocotyl rants about our so called pro vic bias when the only bias is from your teary anti Vic rants that scream inferiority complex.

Irony?
Please don't use words that you clearly don't understand and are too stupid to use correctly;)

Not many Vics defending this pitch as it's undefendible, but let's be honest the GABBA wasn't much better this year just that the English were a absolute disgrace but as for your last point, the Boxing Day test will never be moved.

The Gabba is a s**t hole ground.

And don't get me started of the turf. Worst in Australia both afl and cricket.

Remember Simon jones acl

Because Joffa flog was sprouting his mouth claiming that MCG is the greatest ground on planet earth and how it’s going to be packed to the rafters most of the test. WRONG! The highlight was a 15-20% capacity crowd on Day 5 on a Saturday with a result in the balance...

I just wanted to reiterate that had it not been a public holiday or Boxing Day on day 1, 50,000 people may have been a stretch for day 1 and the crowds dwindled quiet considerably after day 1 more than usual. But I thought the MCG held so much theatre

So much so that the so called ‘premier test’ didn’t even hit 15,000 (of which 12,000 were probably the barmy Army) people in a 90,000 capacity ground when the test was still in the balance for one side. There may have been other factors at play but the facts are as great as you lot want to push this MCG aura agenda, the pitch it housed is a disgrace and the worst in the country, and having 15,000 people in a 90,000 capacity ground on day 5 with a result still possible and on a Saturday is a disgrace. Yet you Victorians will bury your head in the sand like usual. Until the next test starts so that you can start pushing your little man agendas onto everyone again and belittle anything that isn’t Victoria or MCG when in reality you are all seeking validation form the rest of the country so that you feel ‘important’ for once in your lives.

I’m starting to think most of the Vics are acting out because for the so called sporting culture of the country, I would have thought they’d have at least one player that’s good enough to make the national side

The only test in danger of being moved in the immediate future is the Gabba test.

It was only being kept around because of the pitch.

Considering that is no longer a factor because it's turned into slow pile of crap, the 6,000 on the final day at the GABBA might be the death knell.

I'd much rather see the GABBA test rotated through Hobart.

The only test in danger of being moved in the immediate future is the Gabba test.

Considering that is no longer a factor because it's turned into slow pile of crap, the 6,000 on the final day at the GABBA might be the death knell.

I don’t disagree with any of that but why do you think I give 2 *s about what happens to the Gabba? I don’t even live in QLD for starters and even if I did I don’t have this stupid state inferiority complex where I have to push my state agenda at every given opportunity trying to lift my self esteem. I call it as I see it even if it hurts the offended Victorians around these parts. I come across that way because for once you lot can actually see how you’ve come across over the last few cricket season.

If you actually paid any attention you’d see that I don’t have an agenda just against the MCG pitch before you cry state bias. I’ve actually been critical of almost every states pitch except maybe Hobart which is the bigger picture.

The Gabba use to have one of the best pitches in the ground with bounce for spinners and good carry. 2010 ashes test where england were 1/500 was the start of a downfall. The Gabba as a cricket facility needs money to be invested in it and needs a complete overhaul.

The SCG isn’t as far gone as the other states but it definitely doesn’t have the assistance to spinners it use to and has been getting gradually harder for bowlers. Just ask India. This pitch like the Gabba has been slowly losing its character.

WACA pitch is a disgrace these days no questions asked. Only reason it escaped full blown criticism this time round was because of the cracks that opened up on it. And WACA can be forgiven seeing as the major tests are moving to the new stadium. But if they are using a drop in pitch like the MCG puts out, its going to cop flak very quickly but will reserve judgement until I see how it’s first test plays out. WACA has been losing its character for years and I somehow can’t help but think OH&S has contributed to the downfall of its character.

Adelaide has been escaping criticism because of the day night factor, but take that away it’s been playing as it usually has been. It’s a road lost days but then it has days where it plays like you’d want a pitch if you want an equal contest between bat and ball. If they can replicate that over 5 days it will be easily best pitch in the country.

MCG has the worst pitch in the country at the moment. 2 paced, slow, no bounce, no bowler assistance. Only reason parts of the test looked like a contest was batters trying to force the issue against a lifeless pitch as evidenced by the amount of chop ons. Bowlers knew it form the first session and from there you witnessed some of the most uninspiring cricket imaginable. Just because there was a collapse doesn’t mean the pitch suddenly came to life. It just papered over the issue.

Hobart probably has the most competitive pitch in the country but when it goes too far the other way which it has in the past, is when you see the low scoring matches even as entertaining as they are. Another reason they are entertaining to is because it’s a point of difference from seeing the proverbial road, road, highway, road, road scores we are subject too.

In summary the main issue is most of our pitches have had the life sucked out of them for commercial reasons to the detriment of our national team. If our current generation of players were exposed to the the character these pitches use to have in the early 2000’s, you might start to see some progress overseas and you might actually see some great contests in test cricket again instead of just Australia vs South African tests.

Come the day the MCG puts out a pitch that plays similar to Adelaide on its best days and have more than 15,000 turn up on a Saturday with an ashes test in the balance and doesn’t need to rely on Boxing Day to have a capacity crowd day 1, maybe just maybe then can you lot scream ‘MCG iz da greatest ground derrrr’ until your face turns blue for all I care because at least then there will be some substance behind those claims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gabba is a s**t hole ground.

And don't get me started of the turf. Worst in Australia both afl and cricket.

Remember Simon jones acl
It's harder to get quality turf at the Gabba due to the highest average rainfall of the capital cities apart from Darwin IIRC.

As far as the pitch goes, it's the best in Australia IMO.

Who is the Gabba going to lose their match to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tassie, or better still, have 2 tests at the MCG.

Oh goody, let’s play 2 tests on the worst pitch in the country. Better yet let’s make it a 2 game series too so the offended Vics can whack themselves off and try and lift their self esteem of not having any representation in the national side. And the kicker? Make the 2 game series against the Windies. They would bite your hand off if you gifted them a drawn series in Australia on a platter

So if the MCG test would struggle to get 50,000 on Day 1 if it wasn't a public holiday, how do you explain the 60,000+ at Days 2 and 3?

Cool, so let’s put the next Melbourne test in November when people are still at work and at school and let’s see how many you get on Day 2 and 3.

I mean it’s all well and good to boast about your ‘big stadium capacity’ and how many people attend the Boxing day test whilst you lot continue to try and s**t on every other state in Australia with your little man syndrome knowing full well the other states will never outnumber your capacity due to oh I don’t know, the simple fact that the other grounds physically can’t hold us many people perhaps? But let’s be impartial and face facts, if it wasn’t for this propaganda lure of ‘the Boxing Day test’ being some sort of second coming of Jesus, and the fact that the Melbourne test is based on the best time of year for the general public to attend due to school and Christmas holidays, the numbers would almost halve instantly. You would even find a huge number of the almost 90,000 that attended day 1 travelled from interstate to attend a Boxing Day test and make a holiday out of it.

Let’s also face other facts, if Adelaide for example hosted a Boxing Day test and they had the infrastructure to be able to host 90,000 attendees, I guarantee you their overall numbers over 5 days most likely dwarf the numbers Melbourne just put up. It’s nice to have all the variables out in the open before you lot want to continue with the dick measuring and not be objective. But please gloss over everything I’ve said and continue to pretend half the Victorian squad who are currently LAST on the shield ladder deserve a national spot to stroke your over bloated hurt egos. I would expect nothing less

It always looks rosy in an Ashes year. When it's West Indies or Pakistan the crowds will drop right off. That'll be CA's reasoning for making it all day-night matches.

But the comment was in relation to this test that they would have struggled to get 50,000 on day 1 if it wasn’t a public holiday...

I’d say 3 days of 60,000-90,000 crowds is pretty damn good for a dead rubber. Imagine if the series was competitive and alive!

Hey Lynnsanity, did a Victorian kill your dog or something? Why do you tell everyone what Victorians say without them saying it? Well, except smasha, but he's special

Hey Lynnsanity, did a Victorian kill your dog or something? Why do you tell everyone what Victorians say without them saying it? Well, except smasha, but he's special

Cool story, you must have caught the end of my last post where I said to you MCG love ins to continue to gloss over every detail I’ve put up as fact and continue to live in your deluded Victoria deserve more Australian players than the other states fantasy world. Good to see you got the memo.

Cool, so let’s put the next Melbourne test in November when people are still at work and at school and let’s see how many you get on Day 2 and 3.

I mean it’s all well and good to boast about your ‘big stadium capacity’ and how many people attend the Boxing day test and try whilst you lot continue to try and s**t on every other state in Australia with your little man syndrome knowing full well the other states will never outnumber your capacity due to oh I don’t know, the simple fact that the other grounds physically can’t hold us many people perhaps? But let’s be impartial and face facts, if it wasn’t for this propaganda lure of ‘the Boxing Day test’ being some sort of second coming of Jesus, and the fact that the Melbourne test is based on the best time of year for the general public to attend due to school and Christmas holidays, the numbers would almost halve instantly. You would even find a huge number of the almost 90,000 that attended day 1 travelled from interstate to attend a Boxing Day test and make a holiday out of it.

Let’s also face other facts, if Adelaide for example hosted a Boxing Day test and they had the infrastructure to be able to host 90,000 attendees, I guarantee you their overall numbers over 5 days most likely dwarf the numbers Melbourne just put up. It’s nice to have all the variables out in the open before you lot want to continue with the dick measuring and not be objective. But please gloss over everything I’ve said and continue to pretend half the Victorian squad who are currently LAST on the shield ladder deserve a national spot to stroke your over bloated hurt egos. I would expect nothing less

lol, you keep rubbishing on about this chip on our shoulders and egos when it’s clearly you with a massive chip on your shoulder and irrational hate of Melbourne that is driving this constant drivel of hatred. A week of hundreds of posts telling us all how bad Melbourne is, rightio...

Of course it’s all the interstaters filling up our ground, unlike Adelaide which was just locals...

Play a day time test at Adelaide again on the flattest of tracks and see how great that test is. The Adelaide test also attracts tens of thousands of visitors which apparently was the reason for the thousands of empty seats which they still counted in their attendance figures!!! As a lot got stranded by bad weather and didn’t make it.

I do look forward to your similar abuse of Sydney this week, how dare they get a test in peak holiday period and use gimmicks like pink test to draw crowds. Although I am sure the pitch will be fine, it’s not like they have had games abandoned due to unsafe conditions in recent years...

Cool story, you must have caught the end of my last post where I said to you MCG love ins to continue to gloss over every detail I’ve put up as fact and continue to live in your deluded Victoria deserve more Australian players than the other states fantasy world. Good to see you got the memo.

No, I've observed you quite a bit. You keep on saying "Victorians say X" without any evidence and rant about them. Seriously, what happened? You're creating this rage about them based on things Victorians have apparently said, whilst not putting them forward.

Also, where did I say "Victorians deserve more players than the other states"? As of right now only one Victorian deserves consideration, Maxwell.

I honestly have no idea why the drop ins can’t be grown in Hobart tbh.

They are in 6 foot deep trays.

Grow them year round in Hobart bring them over to sow in with the infield at the end of the football season.

Or if the turf is so great at the Gabba, dig sections of the square out and into drop in pans and ship them down to Melbourne

I don’t disagree with any of that but why do you think I give 2 ****s about what happens to the Gabba? I don’t even live in QLD for starters and even if I did I don’t have this stupid state inferiority complex where I have to push my state agenda at every given opportunity trying to lift my self esteem. I call it as I see it even if it hurts the offended Victorians around these parts. I come across that way because for once you lot can actually see how you’ve come across over the last few cricket season.

If you actually paid any attention you’d see that I don’t have an agenda just against the MCG pitch before you cry state bias. I’ve actually been critical of almost every states pitch except maybe Hobart which is the bigger picture.

The Gabba use to have one of the best pitches in the ground with bounce for spinners and good carry. 2010 ashes test where england were 1/500 was the start of a downfall. The Gabba as a cricket facility needs money to be invested in it and needs a complete overhaul.

The SCG isn’t as far gone as the other states but it definitely doesn’t have the assistance to spinners it use to and has been getting gradually harder for bowlers. Just ask India. This pitch like the Gabba has been slowly losing its character.

WACA pitch is a disgrace these days no questions asked. Only reason it escaped full blown criticism this time round was because of the cracks that opened up on it. And WACA can be forgiven seeing as the major tests are moving to the new stadium. But if they are using a drop in pitch like the MCG puts out, its going to cop flak very quickly but will reserve judgement until I see how it’s first test plays out. WACA has been losing its character for years and I somehow can’t help but think OH&S has contributed to the downfall of its character.

Adelaide has been escaping criticism because of the day night factor, but take that away it’s been playing as it usually has been. It’s a road lost days but then it has days where it plays like you’d want a pitch if you want an equal contest between bat and ball. If they can replicate that over 5 days it will be easily best pitch in the country.

MCG has the worst pitch in the country at the moment. 2 paced, slow, no bounce, no bowler assistance. Only reason parts of the test looked like a contest was batters trying to force the issue against a lifeless pitch as evidenced by the amount of chop ons. Bowlers knew it form the first session and from there you witnessed some of the most uninspiring cricket imaginable. Just because there was a collapse doesn’t mean the pitch suddenly came to life. It just papered over the issue.

Hobart probably has the most competitive pitch in the country but when it goes too far the other way which it has in the past, is when you see the low scoring matches even as entertaining as they are. Another reason they are entertaining to is because it’s a point of difference from seeing the proverbial road, road, highway, road, road scores we are subject too.

In summary the main issue is most of our pitches have had the life sucked out of them for commercial reasons to the detriment of our national team. If our current generation of players were exposed to the the character these pitches use to have in the early 2000’s, you might start to see some progress overseas and you might actually see some great contests in test cricket again instead of just Australia vs South African tests.

I mean it’s all well and good to boast about your ‘big stadium capacity’ and how many people attend the Boxing day test whilst you lot continue to try and s**t on every other state in Australia with your little man syndrome knowing full well the other states will never outnumber your capacity due to oh I don’t know, the simple fact that the other grounds physically can’t hold us many people perhaps? But let’s be impartial and face facts, if it wasn’t for this propaganda lure of ‘the Boxing Day test’ being some sort of second coming of Jesus, and the fact that the Melbourne test is based on the best time of year for the general public to attend due to school and Christmas holidays, the numbers would almost halve instantly. You would even find a huge number of the almost 90,000 that attended day 1 travelled from interstate to attend a Boxing Day test and make a holiday out of it.

The first of these is actually a good post. I'd agree with your analysis of the grounds, and I lament the downfall of each of the pitch's characters too. I'd dispute your characterisation of the Adelaide deck, as it's been pretty close to the most entertaining test of the summer the past few years, with wickets falling aplenty and batting being difficult, but all in all, that's a discussion that could be had.

The second post is not attacking the MCG pitch as much as it's attacking victorians, and if you cannot see why that might raise a few hackles I don't hold much hope for you.

Stick to talking about the grounds, arguing facts; you want to say the Vics don't have a good squad, go ahead, but back it up with more than just calling us names or strawmanning our arguments.

Dull yes but not this bad. This was just absolutely disgusting for everyone involved. Nothing for batsman or bowlers. Awful. Glad both Smith and Root blasted it.
2015 when we played India was ******* boring. Last year was equally as boring but only survived by a miracle.

Melbourne used to produce a fair amount of spin and bounce. Now it produces nothing at all. You need batsman to throw their wickets away to get out.

Examples?
I only see people say Maxwell was stiff which he is if they're picking players on form.

I have to say you're one of the most unpleasant posters I've come across and live in a different reality to others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back