Interstate Shitfight thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Hodge would be an all time great if he had the endless opportunities a bum like Justin Langer had.

Wat?

Debuted at 22. Scored two 50s in 3 tests, then made a pair in his 5th and was dropped. One off test a year later and scored 69. Two tests two years later. Had an extended run around 1998/99 to 2001 and scored 3,000 runs at just under 50 and was dropped again. Recalled during the 2001 Ashes when Slats got the arse and made 100, then 15 more in the next 5 years for good measure. Was probably dropped half a dozen times during his test career, all the while plundering runs every year in the Shield and County cricket.

Podge was unlucky but save for his debut season as a kid he didn't do much in the 1990s when spots were up for grabs. Lehmann, Dean Jones, Jamie Cox, Martin Love, Di Venuto, Stuart Law... even Mike Hussey - there are plenty of unluckier figures from that era. Damien Martyn scored 3 50s in 7 tests after debuting at 21, played a rash shot and was dropped for 6 years. Langer outperformed at test level Elliott, Blewett, Hayden and most of the guys in the 90s who had chances to cement a spot based on FC performances. Elliott was the leading run scorer in the Shield 3 or 4 times IIRC but couldn't translate that to test level.

By the time Podge was a premier Shield batsman it was the 2000/01 Summer and the test team was settled and dominant. In a parallel universe where he was one of the guys playing tests in his early 20s he might've had a long and successful career but his Shield form didn't warrant the opportunity.

93/94: 903 @ 50
94/95: 323 @ 23
95/96: 174 @ 22
96/97: 237 @ 20
97/98: 494 @ 38
98/99: 652 @ 43
2000/01: 973 @ 54
2001/02: 858 @ 57
2002/03: 503 @ 33
2003/04: 984 @ 61
2004/05: 891 @ 64

He was rightly in the frame around 2004/5 and made his test debut, but the numbers he was putting up at age 26/27 - 30/31 were comparable to what the guys above were putting up in their early 20s. Five Shield seasons in a row average 43 or lower hurt his chances as much as anything else. People get a bit carried away with the 'state bias, dropped average 55' thing and overlook that for quite a while he was just an average Shield player.

That's a nice essay.

If Victorians werent all such s**t blokes they would be treated better at the selection table
So. What you're saying is, selection for the Australian team isn't based on merit?

Also. There's 11 players in the team. 10 of those are campaigners and one is a good guy.

Who's the campaigner?

The MCG is the greatest stadium in all of planet earth.........

Said no Non-Victorian ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Any ground that doesn't have it's own hepatitis infested cesspool isn't worth my time

Last edited:
If you want the definition of a player hard done by, look no further than Chris Hartley. Was the best wicketkeeper in the country when Nevill and Wade were considered over him to replace Haddin due to their supposed better batting record but Hartley was no slouch with the bat either. Think he would have done as good as Tim Paine is currently going now.
Agree with this, Hartley never even getting close to a look in was bs.

Another 50 for Marsh, another win by the selectors. Would've won the boxing day test if Agar was there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its bemusing how much hatred some West Australians have for Vics (Mexicans or Eastern staters) when Vics barely even think about, let alone sook about West Australians.

Some WA folks have nearly as a big a chip on their shoulders as Kiwis. Quite sad.

Its bemusing how much hatred some West Australians have for Vics (Mexicans or Eastern staters) when Vics barely even think about, let alone sook about West Australians.

Some WA folks have nearly as a big a chip on their shoulders as Kiwis. Quite sad.
Are you new here? Some Vics can't stop thinking about Shaun and Mitch Marsh.

until very recently, I wouldve thought anyone with an ounce of cricket knowledge would be troubled about the Marsh's inconsistency. Personally have little time for Maxwell either, more importantly neither does Smith.

It.just seems some WA folk seem to go to inordinate lengths ro defend the Marshes when for most of their careers they have been fairly shite.

until very recently, I wouldve thought anyone with an ounce of cricket knowledge would be troubled about the Marsh's inconsistency. Personally have little time for Maxwell either, more importantly neither does Smith.

It.just seems some WA folk seem to go to inordinate lengths ro defend the Marshes when for most of their careers they have been fairly shite.
For the most part, the defence of the Marshes has been in direct correlation to the over-the-top criticisms. Everyone knows Mitch was out of form, but some of the abuse he copped was beyond the pale; he didn't pick himself. And Shaun has been quite consistent at first class level for about five years. Much of the criticisms are historical (or caused by injuries).

Either way, it has nothing to do with some imagined hatred of Victorians, besides the odd good natured s**t flinging. I don't recall anyone being upset by Handscomb's inclusion last year. Most people had Maxwell ahead of Smarsh before the First Test.

FB was crawling with troglodytes (WA included) abusing them at every opportunity until this series began

That's cause Mitch has been rubbish for the majority of his career not because of where he's from. 20 odd tests averaging 20 at 6, that's the definition of leeway and afforded to very few.

If he performs under pressure against a good attack in foreign conditions then my mind will be changed. Everyone's jumping the gun a bit here, he hasn't made it by any stretch. Usman dominates at home yet a large number of posters here think he's average as. Can't have it both ways

Mate. 90% of the state by state whining on this board is Victorian. Don't blame you guys though. I'd feel the same if I got all my cricket news from SEN.

That's cause Mitch has been rubbish for the majority of his career not because of where he's from. 20 odd tests averaging 20 at 6, that's the definition of leeway and afforded to very few.

If he performs under pressure against a good attack in foreign conditions then my mind will be changed. Everyone's jumping the gun a bit here, he hasn't made it by any stretch. Usman dominates at home yet a large number of posters here think he's average as. Can't have it both ways

Mitch's selection definitely deserved criticism but especially at the start of the series the Shaun Marsh criticism was massively over the top and based solely on one series five years ago.

Reading the bulk of posts on here, you'd think Don Bradman had been left out of the side, not Glenn Maxwell.

Suppose it is the cut and thrust of the board though - much like how people were given free reign to flood the third test thread with moronically inaccurate criticism of the Perth pitch as a supposed highway, but anyone criticising the (ICC rated) poor MCG wicket was threatened with a 24 hour ban.

Last edited:
You must be running low on material if you need to misappropriate a Tassie joke like this.
I lived in the west for 20 years, mate triple heads is well suited. Love the state, the money and your women.
As supporters go your in another world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back