NFL 2018 NFL Draft - 27/04/2018 [No Twitter Spoilers]

Remove this Banner Ad

I have seen the 2018 draft described as "depth" with the 2019 draft potentially much better in terms of talent.
We will obviously know more after the combine

If Sutton can run in the mid 4.5s and runs smoothly in the drills he should be top 20ish

Is this draft class really strong in any particular position though? I mean in retrospect it is going to look QB stacked but that is only because a bunch of needy teams are going to spend a truck load of draft collateral reaching for QBs.

RB and OT look pretty strong and pretty deep.

The top end is apparently pretty good as I've seen Saquon Barkley, Quetin Nelson, Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James each at some point referred to as the best prospect at their respective positions in years, and the first 3 are apparently very worthy of a top 5 pick

Last edited:
Bryce love staying in school takes away an elite talent from the position.

Still an amazing class though.

I think the 3 strongest positions are RB, O line and edge rusher..although with all the big clemson boys staying in school the d line positons are a bit lower.

Not the strongest class for WR and TE

Last time he was head coach McDaniels treated Draft picks like trading cards you get from a milk bar and traded all over the place.

AS Head coach with pick 3, will he stand pat?

Im sure his first preference would be to get Saquon Barkley, will he offer the browns a bounty to move up from 3 -> 1 to get Barkley?

Will he hold his nerve and hope the browns and giants go QB 1-2 leaving Barkley there at 3 keeping his picks?

Will he stand pat either way and if Barkley isnt there he gets underway at building that defense with a Big D lineman like CHubb?

Or..if Barkley is gone will he trade back with a team who wants to reach for a QB?, perhaps stockpile some picks to fill some holes in that team. Allowing them to draft guard like Quenton Nelson, who i think is the best prospect in this draft ad starts building that O line that has to be better to protect Luck.
I don't think it will be McDaniel's call. GM Chris Ballard is tasked with building this roster, and he's notorious for building through draft. I don't think he wastes a top 3 pick on RB, nor trades up to secure RB.

RB and OT look pretty strong and pretty deep.

The top end is apparently pretty good as I've seen Saquon Barkley, Quetin Nelson, Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James each at some point referred to as the best prospect at their respective positions in years, and the first 3 are apparently very worthy of a top 5 pick
2018 is the year of the QB grab, 2019 OT class should follow accordingly for the QBs who aren't dead yet.

I don't think it will be McDaniel's call. GM Chris Ballard is tasked with building this roster, and he's notorious for building through draft. I don't think he wastes a top 3 pick on RB, nor trades up to secure RB.

Top end RBs have been well worth drafting high lately though. Gurley, Gordon and Fournette made big differences to respective teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Allen only %56 comp and 2:1 TD:INT ratio in the mountain west isn't worth of a high first.

Mayfield tho something like %70 comp and a whopping 43:6 in a strong conference is worthy of the #1 overall even.

Surely you're not stupid enough to box score score college QBs...

Josh Allen only %56 comp and 2:1 TD:INT ratio in the mountain west isn't worth of a high first.

Mayfield tho something like %70 comp and a whopping 43:6 in a strong conference is worthy of the #1 overall even.
Wow.
Well if that's how we are appraising quarterbacks, I'll take Kenny "Football" Hill then. 67% at TCU. What could go wrong?

If Allen is being considered to be taken ahead of mayfield, all it says to me is the NFL and people like Kiper care more about their physical traits than the intangibles and their ******* brains.

If Allen is being considered to be taken ahead of mayfield, all it says to me is the NFL and people like Kiper care more about their physical traits than the intangibles and their ******* brains.
Have you watched Allen play other than his Boise games?

I know you follow Boise so probably have good memories of 2017, and less so 2016 (his game against you guys was beautiful, some huge completions into the end zone back when he had an above Div III level of receiving corps), but he's far more than physical traits. His accuracy is superb and decision making is vastly improved from 2016 when he was brilliant but unpredictable. Now, he's a very good decision maker who plays to his teams strengths.

As for intangibles, surely you're taking the piss. Allen led a team that couldn't even beat San Jose State without him, to two consecutive Bowl games and two of the most successful seasons Wyoming has had in many seasons. This is the same team, that I repeat, fouls not beat San Jose State. Go back and watch him single handedly beat Colorado State, in horrible conditions and then question his intangibles. He's an incredible leader and a very good prospect. Mayfield doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence when we are talking about NFL prospects.

I think you normally have a solid grasp on talent, and particarly the Mountain West, but you're not giving Allen anywhere hear enough credit mate.

Have you watched Allen play other than his Boise games?

I know you follow Boise so probably have good memories of 2017, and less so 2016 (his game against you guys was beautiful, some huge completions into the end zone back when he had an above Div III level of receiving corps), but he's far more than physical traits. His accuracy is superb and decision making is vastly improved from 2016 when he was brilliant but unpredictable. Now, he's a very good decision maker who plays to his teams strengths.

As for intangibles, surely you're taking the piss. Allen led a team that couldn't even beat San Jose State without him, to two consecutive Bowl games and two of the most successful seasons Wyoming has had in many seasons. This is the same team, that I repeat, fouls not beat San Jose State. Go back and watch him single handedly beat Colorado State, in horrible conditions and then question his intangibles. He's an incredible leader and a very good prospect. Mayfield doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence when we are talking about NFL prospects.

I think you normally have a solid grasp on talent, and particarly the Mountain West, but you're not giving Allen anywhere hear enough credit mate.
I'll finish watching that colorado state game tomorrow.
But that first quarter
Intagables looking good (foot work great and he's going through his progression well)
Arm strength, I was never questioning that
But his accuracy is so far deplorable.
He made a GREAT throw at the end of the quarter, but everything else? 2 terrible throws, 1 poor throw, 1 forced throw (should've gone for the run, 'twas accurate, but poor decision) and 2 good throws (1 broken up with amazing coverage, 1 caught)

He better improve, if there's any other games you've got links to I'd like to see them. (I refuse to watch highlight packages. Anyone can make someone look good by showing their best)

I'll finish watching that colorado state game tomorrow.
But that first quarter
Intagables looking good (foot work great and he's going through his progression well)
Arm strength, I was never questioning that
But his accuracy is so far deplorable.
He made a GREAT throw at the end of the quarter, but everything else? 2 terrible throws, 1 poor throw, 1 forced throw (should've gone for the run, 'twas accurate, but poor decision) and 2 good throws (1 broken up with amazing coverage, 1 caught)

He better improve, if there's any other games you've got links to I'd like to see them. (I refuse to watch highlight packages. Anyone can make someone look good by showing their best)
Thanks for taking the time to make a very informed post DB. Always loved your contribution around here. For what it's worth, I completely agree regarding highlight packages. I've never watched one on Allen or any other quarterback. I think that's why I'm drawn somewhat to Allen and Lock from Missouri rather than bigger name quarterbacks, because I love seeing how they manage a game and evolve throughout a series or quarter. Anybody can look good with one throw, or look bad with one interception. I think his accuracy is quite good. You have to remember, that Colorado State game is being played in ridiculous conditions. I'll watch it myself again tonight as it's been a couple of months, but I remember his footwork and decision making as elite. They were horrible conditions for a quarterback but most importantly, he consistently made the right throw at the right time.

Regarding other matches, the Central Michigan one is the obvious one, but I thought his New Mexico game was better. He just makes the right play at the right time, consistently, and has dropped the interceptions from his game. I think it's better to watch his 2017 games rather than last season as his game has evolved a lot in that time and is more of a controlled player rather than a gun slinger. I completely get your concerns, but I think that he's definitely deserving of a top 5 pick. And is clearly better than Maxfield and Darnold when it projects to the NFL. College football is a different kettle of fish, but as a NFL prospect, there's few better.

Minkah and Roquan at 6 and 10 are absolute steals if it plays out the way Kiper thinks. Both should be top 5's in this draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back