Who is the relatively unremarkable player you think back on fondly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
And why?

Could be a bloke who only played one game and you just remembered his name. Could be a 70 gamer from the late 90s/2000s who just sort of faded away. Could be someone resigned to history who didn't do quite enough to be talked about in the media. Could just be a guy who had one stand out match. The sort of player who isn't going to be that well remembered but fans of that club could recall it.

Some from Freo:

- Robert Hadrill. Thought he was a sort of reliable barometer, always trying in floggings, and as a kid saw him as a constant fixture.

- Clayton Collard. Weird name, notable name, and I can still really distinctively remember him kicking a goal at the city end of Subiaco Oval in about 2006 – his one and only goal and game. Apparently spent time at Richmond I found out but didn't crack a game. Reportedly quit WAFL footy when he walked off at half-time of a game for South Fremantle.

- Viv Michie. Thought he had a cool game, used to wear ringer tees in club videos when everyone else had singlets on, said he liked The Strokes when Tommy Sheridan was making gags about loving Justin Bieber... A classic Ross Lyon, or antithesis of that, player who routinely racked up 35 touches for Peel but only got one game in about four seasons. Went to Melbourne and played a couple dozen games but that was that despite being a classic footballer. Just a little slow despite neat kicks, smart big handballs, and knowing where to run.

– Alex Forster. High end draft pick probably intended to replace Luke McPharlin but didn't even outlast him on the list. Grew up in the same small town and at the same footy club as Lachie Neale who went about 30 or 40 picks later than him. Just didn't show anything at any level and played WAFL reserves more than anything I think. Got a token game at the end of his second season in round 23 when a few Saints players were retiring. They gave him the whole game on the ground basically and he got towelled up but he got to run out onto the field with his best mate from the last 10 years... god damn, imagine that. Not much cooler.

Random one:

– Zephaniah Skinner. The man who epitomised the good things in life and footy... not the money, not the fame, not the boots... said he hated Melbourne because you couldn't see the stars in the sky. Always stuck with me that quote. Eight games.

Sam kerridge
I could only name 2 games he did well in.

He’s played 67 games (27 crows, 40 Blues) kicked 34 goals
And 10 of them were vs north Melbourne. (The 2013 and 14 games)

The 2013 game adelaide was 30 points down halfway through the 4th. Kerridge then gets 3 of the next 4 goals to give adelaide a 1 point win.
He was so obscure and played 2 huge blinders, the north board at the time renamed an award for ‘s**t players who play their best vs us’ after him.

Could also say Jared petrenko for the very same game (got the winning goal with mere seconds left)

But my favourite would’ve been matt Wright. Maybe not too obscure. (94 games for adelaide and 59 for Carlton) but one game in 2013 makes me love him. Rd 17, only kicked 5 goals so far that year. And he goes and kicks 4 goals including the games first and last to roll Geelong in the wet with both tex and Dangerfield injured. (We were 12th and Geelong 2nd)

Robbie Haddrill rings a few bells. Did the job every week on the no.1 key forward. I remember a commentator mentioning he was only behind Scarlett in terms of reverse coleman.

Ashley Sampi provided many highlights at footy training. Everyone was trying to kick bananas and take speccies. Good thing the cornrows didnt catch on.

I think like most people, I admire those players who didn't have the greatest skill set, but put in the proverbial 110% each and every week.

If I think back to the period when Richmond were crap (that's a lot of seasons), I remember Brett Evans - the Birdman! - I think we picked him up from Springvale in the Rookie draft. He used to throw himself into contests like a missile (he certainly got into position to take Mark Of The Year many times - hence Birdman - but never actually held one).

Also loved Adam Pattison. High DRaft pick who didn't quite come on. Too short to be a ruckman, too slow to be a KPF. But we should have kept him at the club, and used him as a heart transplant donor for any of the far-more-talented-but-lazy duds we have had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Hams. 12 games from 2013-2016. Undersized as they come, yet very tough and hard at it. Had a nice jawline.

Darren Keppler... came to the Hawks from Sydney during a bleak period and brought some excitement.
One of the first that came to mind for me as well.

His kicking was a pleasure to watch back in the day when wingers actually played on the wing.

– Alex Forster. High end draft pick probably intended to replace Luke McPharlin but didn't even outlast him on the list. Grew up in the same small town and at the same footy club as Lachie Neale who went about 30 or 40 picks later than him. Just didn't show anything at any level and played WAFL reserves more than anything I think. Got a token game at the end of his second season in round 23 when a few Saints players were retiring. They gave him the whole game on the ground basically and he got towelled up but he got to run out onto the field with his best mate from the last 10 years... god damn, imagine that. Not much cooler.

The Mark Austin to Neale's Bryce Gibbs, if you will.

Cant really look back on anyone for us, our original list are still playing if their career is working and they haven't been traded.

Adam Kennedy closest though. Overlooked in the draft and simply listed by us in 2011 as one of our least whinged about draft concessions. With the underage selections he was one of the first players at the club.

Still complains about the training load in the first year, whie watching the drafted players getting it relatively easy. An anomalie in the rules meant players not drafted were not protected by the AFPLA resrictions on the first year training load.

He knuckled down through and has played 84 games since debuting in 2012 and slowly made himself best 22 when fit. Not naturally gifted or blessed with blistering legspeed, he fills me with confidence one on one in defence. He also plays wing at time's and runs very hard in either position.

I recall the round 9 game against the Bulldogs in 2016 when we lost Matt Buntine and Tim Mohr to injury, both defenders, in the first QTR. He was coming off to the bench looking like he'd have to be carried from the interchange gates, a few deep breaths, some fluid and straight back out again. No doubt desperately hoping our mids could send the ball forward from the clearances. We won that game because of efforts like that.

Very popular the club but I suspect not well known outside, he defines what we want to be in a way. I assume he'll stay at the club post career, in some role, we have to build tradition from scratch.

Merv Keane: quiet achiever.
Northey and Brown: little blokes who went under the radar a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back