Preview 2018 Qualifying Final 1 - Richmond v Hawthorn MCG Thursday 7:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see Higgins play Thursday night.

Loved him from the moment he was interviewed draft night. Drafted by the premiers and there was no anxiety or fear of whether he would be good enough to get a game in his interview. Just absolutely stoked and choc full of confidence. Most importantly, our players want to play with him. They get a buzz out of it.

He has had a very good first season but September could be the making of him.
+1 :thumbsu:

I would love to see Higgins play Thursday night.

Loved him from the moment he was interviewed draft night. Drafted by the premiers and there was no anxiety or fear of whether he would be good enough to get a game in his interview. Just absolutely stoked and choc full of confidence. Most importantly, our players want to play with him. They get a buzz out of it.

He has had a very good first season but September could be the making of him.

Love him too, he has that X-factor about him.

#gotiges

Lambo looks like he's coming in - for someone that doesn't deserve to be dropped. I'd guess it's balance. A runner most likely to go out - which would be BEllis. But then what do I know? I trust the match committee on this. We need our inside contested work, so I'd guess Conca stays. Higgins I love and don't want to see dropped - but he's in the gun as next cab off the rank.

If we come out full of tigerish fire then we'll win. The Hawks way to win is if they can control the tempo of the game and play it their way. Only way we can beat that is pressure, and attacking any way possible. We'll know that and will come out to take them down.

It was mentioned on radio this morning that our current bottom 6 are deserving of games and are playing their part. They are playing as well as our 10-16 players. Broad has had a quiet 2 games but that could be influenced by a match up issues against Bombers and Dogs.

Compare this to others in the 8 and we have a pretty big advantage.

Chompers on the sunday footy show “im tipping hawthorn because of one word Clarko” shut up ya big teethed campaigner

It wasn't the first time he made a goose of himself on the day.

Lambert replaces BEllis.

Higgins must stay I think on output and flexibility in that he can kick goals, and switch through mid.

The (Manson) Family club aren't overly quick so don't need Butlers speed yet.

It was mentioned on radio this morning that our current bottom 6 are deserving of games and are playing their part. They are playing as well as our 10-16 players. Broad has had a quiet 2 games but that could be influenced by a match up issues against Bombers and Dogs.

Compare this to others in the 8 and we have a pretty big advantage.

Broad plays imo

Hes a good match up for Gunston imo, which allows Grimes to take Bruest

Id go..

Astbury - Ceglar
Rance - Roughead
Grimes - Bruest
Broad - Gunston

They also have Connor Nash who is another tall, if he plays on top of these guys we may move Broad to him. They would be too tall in that scenario imo.

Tiger backs Lambert, dismisses overconfidence
ac29aecae2ae34e933d5e7150b6e5a90

Gilbert Gardiner

RICHMOND defender David Astbury has backed Kane Lambert to make a strong case for selection today, despite not having played since Round 21.

Lambert, who had surgery on his ankle before the end of the season, must complete today’s main session at Punt Road.

“He’ll get a good opportunity to test it,” Astbury said.

“I imagine, I’m not across the full situation with the medical staff but Kane is as diligent as ever, he’s given himself every opportunity and from what I’m hearing he’ll be every chance to play.

“Kane’s put together a huge body of work this season and he’s really important to us, he’s just an unbelievable warrior and I’m sure he’ll be fine.”

The reigning premiers hold no fears of facing Hawthorn at the MCG, comfortable their best is good enough to get the win.

Two-time North Melbourne premiership coach Denis Pagan queried whether the Tigers had got ahead of themselves, having been atop the AFL table for some time.

It comes after a month of reasonable Richmond football, that delivered narrow wins over Geelong, Essendon and Western Bulldogs.

But Astbury was too smart to bite back.

“It’s an interesting concept that he’s got, I think naturally people might look to outcome a little bit but with our playing group I know we’re a week-to-week outfit,” Astbury said.

“I don’t think so (ahead of ourselves) we’ve won 18 games this year and we back our system in.

“Football is full of provocative comments but you’re not going to get one from me.”

Conca getting injured didn’t cost us a final, we panicked and choked. Plus the sub rule was still in at that time.

Exactly, didn't help him going off early v the Blues but we blew a 6 goal lead & let Judd run loose for to long , the Roos game he was the sub & came on & kicked a goal & had more of an impact in a qtr & a bit then some of the players who played the whole game

Having said that it looks like he or Higgins could be the unlucky one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lambert, Butler's finals hopes on the line

Gilbert Gardiner

TIGERS hopefuls Kane Lambert and Dan Butler will press for selection today at Punt Road as the reigning premier ramps up preparations for Thursday night's qualifying final against Hawthorn.

Butler blew out the cobwebs last week in the VFL after sitting out eight weeks following surgery on his ankle.

While Lambert has been back in full training for the past week to strengthen his own case for selection.

Tigers defender Dylan Grimes said the Lambert decision could be made today after the main session at Punt Road.

"I'm not 100 per cent sure (if he plays), he trained the other day which is a good sign," Grimes said.

"I think we'll probably find out for certain today."

The Tigers held out Sam Lloyd and Ryan Garthwaite from the VFL.

Grimes warned the Tigers had to be at the top of their game to combat the Hawks.

"I don't think there's any team that isn't vulnerable," Grimes told SEN Breakfast.

"We probably haven't been playing our footy the last month.

"Every team is playing well and really sharpening the axe before finals."

Broad plays imo

Hes a good match up for Gunston imo, which allows Grimes to take Bruest

Id go..

Astbury - Ceglar
Rance - Roughead
Grimes - Bruest
Broad - Gunston

They also have Connor Nash who is another tall, if he plays on top of these guys we may move Broad to him. They would be too tall in that scenario imo.

Out of this I love the Astbury Ceglar and Rance Roughead match ups. You'd back Grimes over Breust too I reckon - Gunston is the only worry as I think he has a pretty good record v us from memory (stretching back to his Crows days as well). I think the above is why Broad still keeps his spot though ….

Tiger backs Lambert, dismisses overconfidence

Gilbert Gardiner

RICHMOND defender David Astbury has backed Kane Lambert to make a strong case for selection today, despite not having played since Round 21.

Lambert, who had surgery on his ankle before the end of the season, must complete today’s main session at Punt Road.

“He’ll get a good opportunity to test it,” Astbury said.

“I imagine, I’m not across the full situation with the medical staff but Kane is as diligent as ever, he’s given himself every opportunity and from what I’m hearing he’ll be every chance to play.

“Kane’s put together a huge body of work this season and he’s really important to us, he’s just an unbelievable warrior and I’m sure he’ll be fine.”

The reigning premiers hold no fears of facing Hawthorn at the MCG, comfortable their best is good enough to get the win.

Two-time North Melbourne premiership coach Denis Pagan queried whether the Tigers had got ahead of themselves, having been atop the AFL table for some time.

It comes after a month of reasonable Richmond football, that delivered narrow wins over Geelong, Essendon and Western Bulldogs.

But Astbury was too smart to bite back.

“It’s an interesting concept that he’s got, I think naturally people might look to outcome a little bit but with our playing group I know we’re a week-to-week outfit,” Astbury said.

“I don’t think so (ahead of ourselves) we’ve won 18 games this year and we back our system in.

“Football is full of provocative comments but you’re not going to get one from me.”

Dave Astbury is a ripper. Is very very good at reading the tea leaves when being interviewed.

He is also the one pushing the mic away from Higgins when BT was trying to make a fool of him.

Gee we have some great people at our club.

I like the 3 man captain and vice captains leadership group system but Dusty, Astbury, Grimes, Grigg, Houli, Vlastuin, Edwards (in no particular order) also have similar traits.

Dave Astbury is a ripper. Is very very good at reading the tea leaves when being interviewed.

He is also the one pushing the mic away from Higgins when BT was trying to make a fool of him.

I like the 3 man captain and vice captains leadership group system but Dusty, Astbury, Grimes, Grigg, Houli, Vlastuin, Edwards (in no particular order) also have similar traits.

Have alot of leaders in that Richmond side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with this. Was just thinking the same thing - Astbury the perfect player to put in front of the press as we commence finals and the media are portraying us as overconfident. Cuts through the BS and is way ahead of the press trying to push a narrative.

Agree with this. Was just thinking the same thing - Astbury the perfect player to put in front of the press as we commence finals and the media are portraying us as overconfident. Cuts through the BS and is way ahead of the press trying to push a narrative.
Handles the media very well. When he was asked about Tom Lynch (shortly after Tross's comments) he didn't give the media any headlines. Flat batted the questions beautifully "Job description defender, we leave those decisions to the list management team"

Will the Hawks try the chip pass game like the Doggies?,remember when they got away with 10 metre passes and creeping the mark in their threepeat years.

Or will they go the dirty approach,the infamous thigh corky?

My terrible sources who have no credibility at all, tell me that Butler will not play.

Providing he pulls up ok today, Lambert will play. Don't know who comes out for him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back