Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone needs to get them up to something ridiculous like 1 million "members" to show how disgraceful the whole thing is.
Well Port should set up digital members.
Lets get all Chinese schoolchildren who are playing Aussie Rules to sign up as digital members.
whoflung crow 烏鴉 ..would be a start ... we would soon get more, non paying members .. :D:p

Last edited:

Doedee is a star. He's a ******* great young prospect.

Certainly proved me wrong, I was in the "lol that's a reach" camp when they picked him so early.
For serious,

They had three prospective dudes to pick at that point, call them A, B and C

Everyone had assumed it would be most likely Dude B, possibly Dude C.

I was shocked when they called out Dude A's name.

OGC may post about the crows a bit much but he's a good egg. He's never nasty to anyone, unlike me.

He's the Daniel Stewart of the Port board. Needs a bit of campaigner in him.

Piston Broke is the Billy Frampton of the Port board.

For serious,

No one expected them to take Doedee though. He was meant to go much later.

For serious,

Best-Christmas-Cracker-Joke-15.jpg

Well I guess we could all stop posting links if you think that makes BF more interesting. I actually enjoy reading links that others post. But I guess we are all different.

Don't listen to people giving you a hard time. As long as you are generating discussion about the subject at hand, that's all you need to do. You're always going to have people who like to snipe from the cheap seats...especially when they are weak of character and only like to pile on behind others because they know if they ever formed an opinion of their own and tried to stand up on the soapbox they'd be cut down the same way they try to do to you.

Don't listen to people giving you a hard time. As long as you are generating discussion about the subject at hand, that's all you need to do. You're always going to have people who like to snipe from the cheap seats...especially when they are weak of character and only like to pile on behind others because they know if they ever formed an opinion of their own and tried to stand up on the soapbox they'd be cut down the same way they try to do to you.
If you're referring to topics such as Hinkley's coaching ability, I don't think it's weak of character to back the prevailing sentiment when it's clearly correct. Sure, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having your own opinion. But when your opinion hasn't been right in years, you begin to look like a faux intellectual sitting there festering in his 4 years unwashed 'Yes We Ken' t-shirt, too weak of character to admit when you're wrong.

OneGreatClub apologies if I upset you yesterday. I was too harsh. You're not the only one who posts a fair bit about the Crows.

Janus - eat s**t.

I don't think it is a stretch to say that SA Footy punches well above its weight given our state economy and population. I agree that Adelaide's ceiling isn't as high as West Coast's moving forward but I stand by my statement. Adelaide was managed to unprofitability at AAMI stadium because it had to carry the weight of the SANFL boys' club. If SA Footy had a different operational structure, say like that of WA Footy, I'm confident Adelaide's performance would have mirrored West Coast's over the past decade. Or at the very least, Adelaide would have been much closer to West Coast than just better than Ports. Adelaide has historically had better stadium attendance than West Coast until Perth Stadium opened this year. It's only been the last 2-3 years that West Coast has really exploded forward but even Adelaide had a post-GF boost that hasn't translated to the bottom line the same way it has for West Coast.

Check out the relative price of a WCE season ticket compared to a Crows season ticket.

Check out the relative price of a WCE season ticket compared to a Crows season ticket.

Yeah just did. Based on what they offer across their packages and allowing for the decreased prices for kids, I still reckon they'd be averaging $750 per season ticket. So let's say 50,000 reserved seats members at $750 average a pop..... well there's $37,500,000 in revenue there. That's before we even take into account corporates. They are a ******* bohemouth. I laugh when Richmond, Essendon and even Collingwood fans go on about being the biggest club in the land. West Coast are on another level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah just did. Based on what they offer across their packages and allowing for the decreased prices for kids, I still reckon they'd be averaging $750 per season ticket. So let's say 50,000 reserved seats members at $750 average a pop..... well there's $37,500,000 in revenue there. That's before we even take into account corporates. They are a ******* bohemouth. I laugh when Richmond, Essendon and even Collingwood fans go on about being the biggest club in the land. West Coast are on another level.

They have a waiting list membership called "In The Wings". There's 15,000 people on it and they each pay $70 a year for the privilege. They make $1 million a year from their waiting list lol.

They have a waiting list membership called "In The Wings". There's 15,000 people on it and they each pay $70 a year for the privilege. They make $1 million a year from their waiting list lol.

The swings and roundabouts are fantastic. West Coast’s dismal first few years and the tepid response of the WA footy public to its rather generic branding was what led the SANFL to go full-Fruchoctopia with the first license, which torpedoed any hope the second license (whoever it was to be) had of eventually capturing a significant ‘neutral’ marketshare like Freo ultimately did.

Now West Coast could buy and sell the Crows and just about anyone else.

Just had a look at their figures for 2017, their last year at the dilapidated Subiaco. They made $22 mill from memberships, $2.3 mill from matchday tickets and $9.3 mill from Corporate Hospitality. Now they've 20,000 more people rocking up to games and charging higher prices.... and they ******* win the flag they move to the new stadium. I wouldn't be surprised if they made $50 mill in memberships/corporates alone. No other club would even make half that.

Do they still have that many? Definitely did when they were playing at Subi, but a lot of them would have finally been able to get a full access membership at New Perth Stadium - for which the prices of tickets were hiked up as well.

You'd think our neighbors would have something similar, given their eleventy thousand 'members' - maybe they could call it "Waiting Near the Bins"

food-waste-and-raven-scavenging.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Thank you. I will try to ease off a bit.
I like it, I also appreciate the tweets etc.
I don’t go to their sites so wouldn’t know otherwise. Those who don’t like it can just not read it. At least it’s footy related.

In a forum where we self generate content, any footy related content is good.

$750/member is an exaggeration. Last year at Subi they had membership income of $21.8m with 65k members and about 40k x 11 gamers. At the new stadium they are limited to 50k x 11 gamers, as their has to 7k general public seats and 3k for other uses - 1,385 stadium members, tourism, ground operator etc and now have 80k members. So they will probably get to $28m, maybe as high as $30m in membership revenue.

The West Coast are only expecting a $2m increase in profit over 2017's $5.4m, and most of that is because of the GF win. (Technically they made $12m profit in 2017 but that was because of a $7m government grant to build Lathlain Park, which probably will be more than repeated in 2018, as the feds and WA government gave them $10m each to build it).

Your $750/member would add about $10m to their 2017 bottom line.

I agree with you that they are a behemoth and leave the big Melbourne clubs in their wake when you take out pokies venues.

$750/member is an exaggeration. Last year at Subi they had membership income of $21.8m with 65k members and about 40k x 11 gamers. At the new stadium they are limited to 50k x 11 gamers, as their has to 7k general public seats and 3k for other uses - 1,385 stadium members, tourism, ground operator etc and now have 80k members. So they will probably get to $28m, maybe as high as $30m in membership revenue.

The West Coast are only expecting a $2m increase in profit over 2017's $5.4m, and most of that is because of the GF win. (Technically they made $12m profit in 2017 but that was because of a $7m government grant to build Lathlain Park, which probably will be more than repeated in 2018, as the feds and WA government gave them $10m each to build it).

Your $750/member would add about $10m to their 2017 bottom line.

I agree with you that they are a behemoth and leave the big Melbourne clubs in their wake when you take out pokies venues.

Check out these membership prices

https://membership.westcoasteagles.com.au/reserved-seat-memberships

I have. They aren't that much more expensive than the last 5 years or so at Subi. $770 got you a seat on the wing at Subi, which stretched a fair way round to the HFF, has gone up to $840 at Perth Stadium. So an extra $70 for 20,000 seats on the wing is only an extra $1.4m and take off GST and its $1.27m extra to the Eagles. So if all 40,000 seats that were replaced from Subi to the new stadium cost an extra $70-$100, and the 10,000 new seats average $500 per seat as its in C, D and E reserve, then you get to that $28m~$30m figure I posted.

I have. They aren't that much more expensive than the last 5 years or so at Subi. $770 got you a seat on the wing at Subi, which stretched a fair way round to the HFF, has gone up to $840 at Perth Stadium. So an extra $70 for 20,000 seats on the wing is only an extra $1.4m and take off GST and its $1.27m extra to the Eagles. So if all 40,000 seats that were replaced from Subi to the new stadium cost an extra $70-$100, and the 10,000 new seats average $500 per seat as its in C, D and E reserve, then you get to that $28m~$30m figure I posted.

Can't believe I'm saying this, and I have been drinking, but I reckon your maths is off REH. My reasoning? They'd have a lot more prime seats at the new stadium. Remember one wing at Subi was quite small, it was hampered by the road. Those $1665 seats weren't a feature at Subi either. The highest level was the rung below.

Also a separate issue, they made over $9 mill in corporate hospitality in the last year at Subi. How much do you reckon they'd be making in the modern and expansive new stadium?

Maybe the average is closer to$650, but I stand by my assertion they are making well north of $30 mill from memberships alone. Plonk substantial corporate hospitality revenues on top of that and its numbers that would make Eddie blush.

Can't believe I'm saying this, and I have been drinking, but I reckon your maths is off REH. My reasoning? They'd have a lot more prime seats at the new stadium. Remember one wing at Subi was quite small, it was hampered by the road. Those $1665 seats weren't a feature at Subi either. The highest level was the rung below.

Also a separate issue, they made over $9 mill in corporate hospitality in the last year at Subi. How much do you reckon they'd be making in the modern and expansive new stadium?

Maybe the average is closer to$650, but I stand by my assertion they are making well north of $30 mill from memberships alone. Plonk substantial corporate hospitality revenues on top of that and its numbers that would make Eddie blush.
I don't think there is a massive amount of those $1,665 Club 87 members ( and the $1,185 Blue and Gold members). They are the ones that can watch the players walk out of the rooms and back from the ground and reach out and shake their hand as they do that walk past members you see on TV.

Hospitality is another issue all together. I'd expect it to increase over Subi, but when you have a new $1.6bil asset to pay back - well the government will pay back 60% to financiers over 3 (build phase)+25 (operating phase) years, who up front put up 100% finance, so I suspect that plenty of the new corporate facilities will be sold by the venues managers rather than the clubs and they do it on behalf of the financiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back