Preview AFLX How seriously will clubs take it?

Remove this Banner Ad

That list of 20 players is ******* stupid.

Pendles? Blokes a colligwood great but he's not suited to AFLX.

Legspeed is AFLX, plain and simple. Don't need to be much chop at actually footy.
Adelaide won it last year with a team of mobile talls.
So legspeed isn’t the be all and end all.

I thought I'd described what was announced as the plan last year. A game to take to non-traditional audiences that can be played in the grounds all other codes use.
Then play this in Shanghai

I guess then the crowd would be zero.

The attendance for AFLX Im guessing (kids, parents and bored people) will be 7-15k?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Greater chance of me going to watch McLeod play for nostalgia reasons then say Sloane.
I’d actually buy into an AFLx lightning tournament (like the one in the mid90s) with ex players.
This current s**t? I’d rather watch random videos on YouTube.

I don't care about AFLX, but doing it as State of Origin could have been quite good and with only seven players per side even the smaller states like New South Wales and Queensland could have been competitive.

I still think this is where it will end up....have a SOO tournament at the end of the year. Tasmania, NT and even Ireland could field teams. The advantage of shorter form games is "one-sidedness" matters less because the game is over so quickly.

It is 8 a-side now I'm pretty sure....you could still do it with squads of, say, 15 which with 8 teams you would need 120 players all up

Honestly if we send any more than fringe young players we are morons.
Why Jack Riewoldt would be risked is laughable, his pay packet aside, he shouldn't be playing this s**t.

How is it any different from a training session? Probably more likely to be injured at training...

Players get some miles in the legs and get rid of the cobwebs, get paid and there will be virtually no tackling. No one loses

How is it any different from a training session? Probably more likely to be injured at training...

Players get some miles in the legs and get rid of the cobwebs, get paid and there will be virtually no tackling. No one loses
It's different because training a session is part of club preparation for the season, it's not optional, it's their preseason. This is a marketing fad, not supported by anyone, not tied to any official clubs, and is an optional event (that no one really cares about apart from hanging s**t on it.)

The finest exhibition of the game is the good players standing up in finals and big games, the sport is too fast paced and physically intense for casual showboating, the most entertaining aspect is seeing those who can be clean and clever when all the walls are closing in. In aflx there are no walls closing in, it's just a glorified training session...... Get rid

Spot on, it doesn't showcase the game at all. If anything it reverts to its aerial ping pong name given by the Northern states.

Its about the time the AFL starts rewarding the long time afl followers instead of marketing some rubbish to get new fans, when its not even what the game actually is

It's different because training a session is part of club preparation for the season, it's not optional, it's their preseason. This is a marketing fad, not supported by anyone, not tied to any official clubs, and is an optional event (that no one really cares about apart from hanging s**t on it.)

The players will still be getting a run into their legs and practising skills, its the same as doing a training session, no one loses.

Of course Dangerfield will endorse this crap he makes 50 grand in a few hours and loses a shitload of credability in my opinion.
Absolute rubbish format waste of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought I'd described what was announced as the plan last year. A game to take to non-traditional audiences that can be played in the grounds all other codes use.

If we want to engage in discussion over their strategy, they are getting it wrong from the first step.. they go into these projects with the idea of "how do we take fans off other codes"... they did it when they expanded the competition and they did it when they created this bullshitball bastardised version of the sport.

The whole corporate mindset that AFL house embodies of "aggressive business expansion" is really not conducive to successful code growth...

It's a s**t idea and I won't be watching it.

Sums it up really... /thread

If we want to engage in discussion over their strategy, they are getting it wrong from the first step.. they go into these projects with the idea of "how do we take fans off other codes"... they did it when they expanded the competition and they did it when they created this bullshitball bastardised version of the sport.

The whole corporate mindset that AFL house embodies of "aggressive business expansion" is really not conducive to successful code growth...

Sums it up really... /thread

Can you perhaps explain what (you think) "successful code growth" looks like?

To the people worried about injuries. What do you think these guys do at training? The match sim at training will more likely result in injury. The players not playing will probably face a tougher more physical session.

To the people worried about injuries. What do you think these guys do at training? The match sim at training will more likely result in injury. The players not playing will probably face a tougher more physical session.
But at least they're contributing to their team and it's understanding of playing the sport of Australian Rules Football, not this confected waste of time, money and effort.

A good chance for young players to get a run around whilst you protect your experienced and highest calibre players. I read in a training report that one of our high profile players about it and he basically said "who cares". I wouldn't be surprised if this was more or less the prevailing attitude.

AFL X to me is a glorified training drill that goes on for a while and is put on tv with some bells and whistles.

I actually didn't mind it last year, because it was kind of like watching a live match simulation drill. Got to see Fritsch for the first time in Melbourne colours. Pretty much if it's Melbourne I'd watch it irrespective of the format. But they've already jumped the shark with the Gimmick teams this year.

Can you perhaps explain what (you think) "successful code growth" looks like?

Absolutely, apart from the fact this is purely subjective.

- I think it's about building on our history and traditions as opposed to trying to create new ones, the AFL is built on a solid base, use that.
- A concerted effort and concentration on the "primary mode of the game" which is AFL and AFLW.
- Stop editing the rules to attempt to create a "better product", it just disillusions fans.
- Well thought out and concerted attempts at serious fan engagement, eg. people being allowed to kick the ball after games (every game) give the game back to the people.
- Learn to market players appropriately for the betterment of the league, they had the most marketable player in the AFL's history in the last decade and didn't utilise him (Buddy) anywhere near to the level he could have been, you could have attempted to use Buddy to take the sport to the wider world, not just NSW.
- Stop trying to "take over" other sports, there is more than enough room for all codes to survive.
- Improve the AFL's image, as it stands I think most fans see the AFL as some kind of murky boys club that essentially acts with impunity and profiteers off the game, What needs to be made is an AFL council where each club has a member of a 18 man council + 1 independent chairman. This council would make the decisions about the game, not individuals looking to justify their roles with poorly formed half-cocked ideas. Being "good at football" does not make one a good administrator of the game. Having an "overlord" commissioner plus a pack of cronies isn't working...

These are just some general ideas, what I know is that what is happening right now is not working and discussion needs to be had about ideas that may work, these are just mine above.

Absolutely, apart from the fact this is purely subjective.

Well that is an encouraging acknowledgement first up. A lot of people around here struggle with the concept of subjectivity!

I'll try to respond in the same spirit

- I think it's about building on our history and traditions as opposed to trying to create new ones, the AFL is built on a solid base, use that.
- A concerted effort and concentration on the "primary mode of the game" which is AFL and AFLW.

Presumably this means that you don't like the concept of a "small-sided" version of the game full stop?

Before this attempt with "AFLX", Australian football would have to be the only professional sport anywhere that hasn't developed size adjusted versions of its game

I would say blanket resistance to the endeavour (as opposed to constructive criticism of the approach) essentially implies a conservative / traditionalist disposition. Valid, but clearly very subjective.

- Stop editing the rules to attempt to create a "better product", it just disillusions fans.

In terms of "disillusioned fans" there seems to me to be a tension within the conservative / traditionalist ranks between the "make football great again" faction and the "leave the game alone" faction

I personally think the AFL have vastly improved their governance and decision making processes around rule changes in the last couple of years.

The idea that rule changes can be eliminated in a rapidly involving full contact sport I think is as naive as thinking you can engineer the rules to reproduce the game how you nostalgically thought it was at the time when you were getting lots of sex

- Well thought out and concerted attempts at serious fan engagement, eg. people being allowed to kick the ball after games (every game) give the game back to the people.

Haven't they been doing this? I don't know much about it but I suspect there are some constraints in regards to ground management

The game / players seem to be more accessible than other codes I am aware of.

- Learn to market players appropriately for the betterment of the league, they had the most marketable player in the AFL's history in the last decade and didn't utilise him (Buddy) anywhere near to the level he could have been, you could have attempted to use Buddy to take the sport to the wider world, not just NSW.

Serious? Franklin, by all reports, has had a massive impact on the Swans parts of Sydney. I don't know what you mean by "take the sport to the wider world" and how Franklin's impact on Sydney is incompatible with that. If anything it seems like Sydney was the ideal place for such a player if you were going to use him to promote the game internationally. But how would you do that? Could you spell out what "taking the sport to the world" with buddy franklin would entail?

From my experience, the best two ways to attract new people to the game are

1) get them to play it
2) get them to watch it live at the ground

I would say Buddy in Sydney has probably had as big an impact on those measures as anyone else in recent decades. Not sure where that could happen in the rest of the world

- Stop trying to "take over" other sports, there is more than enough room for all codes to survive.

This just sounds like you are channelling the visceral fears of supporters of other codes. You seem smart enough to not be incomplete ignorance of strategic / competitive reality. So what do you think the AFL does in a way that other sports don't? Apart from the cardinal sin of just being the biggest in the country?

The AFL has - and obviously seeks to maintain - a deep cultural dominance of the sporting landscape south west of the barassi line. It clearly has a long term strategic objective of becoming a dominant sport north east of it to - i.e the national football code.

It seems like a very sound strategy to me. What else are they supposed to do?

- Improve the AFL's image, as it stands I think most fans see the AFL as some kind of murky boys club that essentially acts with impunity and profiteers off the game, What needs to be made is an AFL council where each club has a member of a 18 man council + 1 independent chairman. This council would make the decisions about the game, not individuals looking to justify their roles with poorly formed half-cocked ideas. Being "good at football" does not make one a good administrator of the game. Having an "overlord" commissioner plus a pack of cronies isn't working...

Well reading this I'm pretty sure you've not a great grasp of the modern history of the game's governance nor how it is actually run now. Could you perhaps flesh out how you think the AFL operates (in objective terms)? Who is the "overlord" commissioner?

These are just some general ideas, what I know is that what is happening right now is not working and discussion needs to be had about ideas that may work, these are just mine above.

I think all you've really demonstrated is that AFL has perception issues it needs to deal with....but ultimately I'm sure it acknowledges that we currently live in a paradigm of whinging negativity where people (perhaps as a function of their own impotency) spend an inordinate amount of energy pouring scorn on seats of cultural and political power.

In terms of the latter, ultimately they'll just get on with the job I suspect

But the thing is, people who need it have already developed short form versions of the game that are better than AFLX. The AFL, for the sake of having a new game that they can own and control, is deliberately ignoring decades of the same sort of grassroots development that gave rise to Sevens, 3x3 and futsal, in order to foist this cringeworthy incandescence upon a supporter base that largely has no interest. It's answering a question that's already been answered by shouting their answer to people who weren't asking. It's trying to counter an independent invention of T20 by selling us CricketMax. The concept itself is fundamentally flawed, presented in a way that's incredibly cringeworthy, and people will continue to point this out as long as they carry on with this fluoro failure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back