Pre-Season Training 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

COLLINGWOOD high-flyer Jeremy Howe is making solid progress in his recovery from his most recent bout of thigh surgery, completing a running session at training on Wednesday morning.

Little more than a fortnight after undergoing a minor procedure to cauterise blood vessels in his right thigh, Howe made a welcome appearance on the track at Olympic Park and moved well enough to suggest he will resume full training in the next week or two.

Running predominantly on his own in stop-start fashion for about 40 minutes, the star defender generally ran at about half-pace over various distances from 50m to 200m.

After warming up, Howe received a brief massage on the field before returning to the task of putting work back into his legs.

Young midfielders Tom Phillips and Josh Daicos were also back into the fray after copping minor niggles last Friday.

On Friday morning Collingwood will host a scratch match against Melbourne at Olympic Park, and the Pies tuned up for that contest with a brief match simulation session in which experienced swingman Ben Reid took a couple of strong marks in attack, fellow veteran Tyson Goldsack was also deployed forward and goalsneak Jamie Elliott impressed with his intensity in his bid for an AFL return after a horrid run with injury.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-20/howe-is-he-highflying-pie-ramps-up-running

So hoping we can get good years out of Elliot, Moore and Reid.

Fingers crossed. Sacrifices to the dark gods of football made.

Is a fully fit Reid still best 25? IMO, he’s behind Cox, Mihocek, JDG as a KPF and Moore, Dunn, Goldsack possibly Roughie as a KPD. I think it’d be great for him personally, but the value for the seniors could be limited to pressure for spots.

Is a fully fit Reid still best 25? IMO, he’s behind Cox, Mihocek, JDG as a KPF and Moore, Dunn, Goldsack possibly Roughie as a KPD. I think it’d be great for him personally, but the value for the seniors could be limited to pressure for spots.

For sure, will be a certain forward option

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There might be a fill role for Reid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year he looked slow and lacked distance in his kicking, depth imo. Happy to be proven wrong though

For sure, will be a certain forward option

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Crystal balling here, but which of Mihocek or Cox is he replacing given he’s a certain starter? Let’s say both JDG and WHE don’t get up early season then the obvious replacements are Beamer and Elliott. Its also unlikely that he comes in for the likes of Varcoe, Stephenson or JT.

Barring injury I can’t see us overhauling the set up that got us to within a kick of a premiership in order to squeeze in a guy with an ok record up forward.

FWIW with Roughie already locked in according to an earlier post of yours that’s at least 5 probably 6 new faces from last years GF. Thats a lot...

There might be a fill role for Reid.

That’s my thinking as well. There can be a role for him, but his days as a best 22 lock appear to be done.

Like nahnah it would be nice to be proven wrong, but at this stage we’d be shoehorning him into the best 22 or dealing with injuries. Neither is overly appealing to me.

Agree.
Could watch it on loop all day, (well almost).

Great to watch Elliott flying, but jesus wearing the specky bag has to be the worst job in football. It's the silly mid on of footy training. Who is that poor guy?

Haven’t done much posting over the offseason. Still can’t get over the grand final loss. It is, what it is.

The 6-6-6 formation has me thinking if we will use Cox for Center-square bounces? I remember him being quite effective last year within the square.
He probably would be good in there but I personally think the 6-6-6 formation is going to be massive for him. He should be one out more often than ever before now and coupled with further improvement I think this will be a real game changer for the Pies.

He probably would be good in there but I personally think the 6-6-6 formation is going to be massive for him. He should be one out more often than ever before now and coupled with further improvement I think this will be a real game changer for the Pies.
Yeah, I agree, I think he will benefit as a key forward from the new rules (and the additional midfielder in Beams).

Yeah totally legitimate question. At his best a few years ago he'd be ahead of Dunn and Mihocek. But age might have told.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back