Game Day Practice Match Carlton v Hawthorn - February 21st 4.00PM @ Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

He's going to be a star but come the season he will have ups and downs. I hope people understand that

You mean like every other player in the league? 🙂

Walsh showed up all we needed to see yesterday and the positive stories today won't do membership numbers any harm at all.

Bit of feedback. Coaches very happy. No injuries and some positive bits of play. Lots of players played in unusual roles. Fitness and running was really good. Russell didn't want them going 100% in first game so minutes and positioning limited. Got what they wanted out of it. Next week will see a bit more structured and focusing on game plan with further focus on JLT2 which will be close to Rd One line up.
Cheers soapy

2019 is all about game plan and tactics that suits the players. No more Cunners at half back, SPS at half back and other such experimental nonsense we saw in 2018. Winning games is not the be all and end all this year - working as a pact cohesive unit with a game plan that wins games in 2020 is the be all and end all. I want to see tactical prowress.

I have not seen the Blues be a clinical unit since the first three rounds of 2012 and the list in 2012 wasnt much chop. Thats a long time.

No more disjointed efforts in 2019.

2019 is about development. Can’t expect young players to fully carrry out game plans until they have the physical capabilities. Game plan has barley changed and some players will be trialled or get experience in different positions. We are still very young. Lots of excitement but still a way away. Most of our 22 will be under 22 and less than 50 games. Big picture.

2019 is about development. Can’t expect young players to fully carrry out game plans until they have the physical capabilities. Game plan has barley changed and some players will be trialled or get experience in different positions. We are still very young. Lots of excitement but still a way away. Most of our 22 will be under 22 and less than 50 games. Big picture.

Development babble is over.

Game plan and execution is what its about.

Chris Judd comments clearly stated this year is about game plan and execution and Bolton will be judged on that. If you disagree then give Chris Judd a phone call and tell him he is wrong.

Thanks
Bit of feedback. Coaches very happy. No injuries and some positive bits of play. Lots of players played in unusual roles. Fitness and running was really good. Russell didn't want them going 100% in first game so minutes and positioning limited. Got what they wanted out of it. Next week will see a bit more structured and focusing on game plan with further focus on JLT2 which will be close to Rd One line up.
Thanks for the insight. Appreciate it.

Walsh has taken the limelight for that game but just a quick note on a few others.

O'Brien looked very composed and was happy to take the game on, in most cases.
Ground positioning looks really good to me also and one little thing that won't come come up but the coaches would have noticed;
When we had a turnover in our front half the ball worked its way along the wing for an easy goal to Hawthorn. O'Brien sprinted the best part of 120 metres to get to the backline, when no-one else did. It was all in vain as Hawthorn kicked the goal, but it wasn't in vain for the effort given.

Setterfield didn't see a lot of the ball and even made one poor error.....but you can just tell. We have a good one here.
His movement, speed and smarts were on show in the few minutes he played, even though he didn't show his best in the middle, as Hawthorn just had the rucks and the run of the ball.

Development babble is over.

Game plan and execution is what its about.

Chris Judd comments clearly stated this year is about game plan and execution and Bolton will be judged on that. If you disagree then give Chris Judd a phone call and tell him he is wrong.

So our players are ready are they? You're kidding yourself

It's been a massive weakness coming out of the back 50 in the past. But with garlett.goodard O'Brien Marchbank kicking might not have to close my eyes everytime now haha.

Happy for hugh but.A top bloke who is a very good leader and neat with the ball.glenn manton like

So our players are ready are they? You're kidding yourself

We played Melbourne last year and lost by 103 points and were like for like in terms of age.

as Chris Judd stated this year is about game plan and execution and Bolton will be judged on that. If you dont agree then give him a call.

Walsh has taken the limelight for that game but just a quick note on a few others.

O'Brien looked very composed and was happy to take the game on, in most cases.
Ground positioning looks really good to me also and one little thing that won't come come up but the coaches would have noticed;
When we had a turnover in our front half the ball worked its way along the wing for an easy goal to Hawthorn. O'Brien sprinted the best part of 120 metres to get to the backline, when no-one else did. It was all in vain as Hawthorn kicked the goal, but it wasn't in vain for the effort given.

Setterfield didn't see a lot of the ball and even made one poor error.....but you can just tell. We have a good one here.
His movement, speed and smarts were on show in the few minutes he played, even though he didn't show his best in the middle, as Hawthorn just had the rucks and the run of the ball.

Setterfield could easily be the best of this young group (and that's saying something) I don't think people realise what a steal we got. Has it all

We played Melbourne last year and lost by 103 points and were like for like in terms of age.

as Chris Judd stated this year is about game plan and execution and Bolton will be judged on that. If you dont agree then give him a call.

First I've heard. Show me where

Highlighting one game shows how little you know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I would bucket my observations of the players into three groups. Bit of variety I guess..

“You know what you’re getting Group”
———————————————————
Murph, Simmo, CC, Ed, Jones Thomas Plowman Newman

Basically ‘nothing to see here. All fine. You know their strengths and weaknesses. There’s no change in any of that. I felt Murph Simmo and Ed all took it pretty easy. Thomas too. Jones was Jones. CC also took it easy. Wasn’t really ‘flying’ at it.

Next group....

‘They need to improve, they haven’t enough yet, here’s what they need to work on Group’
—————————————
SOS. He just doesn’t have the power to play on ball. I think they are really messing around with his development with this. Sure it’s a practice match. But I’d rather see him tried half back more if they are going to experiment with him. His first steps are too slow to win it in midfield.

Dow. Look I’m going to call it. He’s 2 years away. Nothing wrong with that - that would make him a 4th year player which is about the norm. I think he will get there. But his body strength is just miles off. His running capacity is miles off. Composure and kicking need work. I feel a year in the vfl would do him good but won’t happen.

Kennedy- in a different side it would be easier for him. Unfortunately we have a number of one paced mids and he’s the slowest and least athletic of them. We were belted on the spread yesterday and Matt was one of the reasons why. He doesn’t have any physical advantages at this stage. People call him a ‘beast’ but he isn’t really. He’s just an afl average build. Players need some form of advantage to make it. I’m not sure what Matt’s is. I think they need to decide whether to make him ‘bigger’ or ‘more aerobic’.

Garlett - look he got himself in a muck lather of nerves. No doubt. He cut across ground in the second quarter, deep in the backline. On his left....

And it all went downhill from there. He put that move away after 3 more failed attempts at it. I’d leave it away for about....10 years. But agree with others. Persist.

————-
The ‘gee you’ve improved / breaking out’ Group.

Walsh. I’ll try and give more insight into what happens here. 1. He reads the play brilliantly so he is often available for a link up. He runs as hard as anyone so gets to a lot of contest. He has good hands and doesn’t fumble. He makes brilliant decisions under pressure. He’s agile so gets out of trouble well. His kicking is very good. He’s gutsy (backed back into a pack mark). His body is AfL strong already. He should be in the middle.

LOB. Boy oh boy we have a nice one here. He’s such a good runner. His kicking has a bit more bite on it now. He’s tougher than he seems on face value. Getting a lot more of the ball. His hands under pressure aren’t as clean as I’d like. But over all he’s a very good player and has improved a lot.

SPS. Wow. What an improvement. He’s covering the ground much better. Decision making clean. No more crazy hair brained ideas. Just quick smart decisions. Agile and moves well. No straight line speed and not a lot of size. But gee he has great hands and decision making under pressure.

McKay. Look his body strength isn’t great. He can get out bodied by guys 15cm shorter. And that’s the negatives all done with. He’s a superb athlete. Beautiful kick. Terrific hands at ground level. Lovely mark over head. Look out.

Weiters. Gee I feel he’s gone up a gear. Didn’t get ourmarked once from my memory. Moved well. Didn’t look slow. Used it pretty well. Wasn’t ‘dominant’ but by lord he was good. Reliable. So pleased.

Cuningham. Terrific. Just a high impact player. I’m sure others at the ground would concur: I felt ‘safe’ when he got it. ‘They can’t catch him’ and ‘he will use it well’. He’s a very good option forward. Can’t imagine the team without him.

Didn’t see enough of Setters, McGivern or TDK. TDK really impressed me in the ruck in the last quarter. Was very involved at ground level. Surprised me. The other two showed flashes. I realise I just created group 4 here....stiff.

There’s also a ‘I don’t reallly care about you’ group but you can figure that out on your own.

Where? Show me or point me to right direction

No one said game plan is not important or they won't be working on it but development is still the key. If you don't have the players capable game plan doesn't matter

If you don't what your Football Director has stated about the state of the game then I can not help you. He said it end of April last year on Footy Classfied go search for it yourself.

April last year? Okay then

His KPI's will be judged on Wins/losses this year - even I dont agree with that. But the team playing as a compact cohesive unit understanding game plan without confusion - absolutely has to be done 2019.

I know the bandwagon you guys are on with BB - but I do not rate him as a bonafide senior coach never have. As a person who builds cultures and environments none better. But as a shrewed tactical coach - pass. I just dont want this list to waste anymore time.

First I've heard. Show me where

Highlighting one game shows how little you know

Not even a proper practise game either, a ‘practise of a practise’ game

His KPI's will be judged on Wins/losses this year - even I dont agree with that. But the team playing as a compact cohesive unit understanding game plan without confusion - absolutely has to be done 2019.

Hmmmm. Big difference between understanding game plan and focusing on it. Game plan will still be worked on and improved but we need to understand where our players are. Lots of development needed yet.

Hmmmm. Big difference between understanding game plan and focusing on it. Game plan will still be worked on and improved but we need to understand where our players are. Lots of development needed yet.

Development mumbo jumbo is done and dusted - he is judged on wins/losses this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back