Game Day Practice Match Carlton v Hawthorn - February 21st 4.00PM @ Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/c02ef86bd312ed623334b336170033dd
Carlton has been told by the AFL he is not able to play in their official practice match against Hawthorn on February 21 or in their two JLT Series games.

My thoughts on a potential squad:

FB: Plowman, Marchbank, Schumacher
HB: Garlett, Weitering, Newman
C: Walsh, Dow, O'Brien
HF: SPS, C.Curnow, Cuningham
FF: McGovern, McKay, Polson

R: Lobbe, JSOS, Stocker

Int: E.Curnow, Simpson, Setterfield, TDK, Kerr, Goddard, Macreadie, Kennedy

EMG: Casboult, Murphy, Thomas, Phillips, BSOS, O'Dwyer, Williamson, Owies

Let the speculation begin!

EDIT: With Cripps and Fisher now confirmed for the AFLX, I've excluded them from this squad, which I've now trimmer to an 8-player bench.

Last edited:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/c02ef86bd312ed623334b336170033dd

My thoughts on a potential squad:

FB: Plowman*, Marchbank*, Schumacher
HB: Owies, Weitering, Newman
C: Walsh, Dow*, O'Brien
HF: SPS, C.Curnow*, Fisher*
FF:
McGovern*, McKay*, Garlett

R: Lobbe, JSOS, Stocker

Int: E.Curnow, Simpson*, Setterfield, TDK, Kerr, Goddard, Polson, Macredie, Kennedy, Cuningham

EMG: Casboult, Murphy*, Cripps*, Thomas, Phillips, BSOS, O'Dwyer, Williamson

* - denotes reasonable possibility of playing AFLX format (maximum of 4), which would likely rule them out of this match

Let the speculation begin!

Not sure Marchy will be trotted out in this one, suspect Jones more likely.
Also think we're likely to use Thomas off HB rather than Owies, who may not be deemed ready for match sim vs. opposition.
Macreadie may be struggling too, and if so I'd like to see BSOS given a little run, just for a greater appreciation of the senior level.

Also goes to show - you take Cripps, Murphy and Kreuzer out of the centre and we start to look reeeeaallly light on for experience. Only consolation is that Hawthorn could be in a very similar situation with Mitchell out, Birchall already playing AFLX, and guys like O'Meara and Wingard a decent chance of getting picked.

Keen for more details as well - got two weeks off work from the 18th to look after the little one, and a praccy match somewhere east of the city would make for a wonderful outing.

Not sure Marchy will be trotted out in this one, suspect Jones more likely.
Also think we're likely to use Thomas off HB rather than Owies, who may not be deemed ready for match sim vs. opposition.
Macreadie may be struggling too, and if so I'd like to see BSOS given a little run, just for a greater appreciation of the senior level.

Also goes to show - you take Cripps, Murphy and Kreuzer out of the centre and we start to look reeeeaallly light on for experience. Only consolation is that Hawthorn could be in a very similar situation with Mitchell out, Birchall already playing AFLX, and guys like O'Meara and Wingard a decent chance of getting picked.

Keen for more details as well - got two weeks off work from the 18th to look after the little one, and a praccy match somewhere east of the city would make for a wonderful outing.
Marchbank has resumed full training; Jones hasn't.

Marchbank has resumed full training; Jones hasn't.

Really - last I'd heard Marchy was still doing more running than anything else. Good news if so.

I know Jones has been out of the main group, but missing a couple of weeks with a broken hand shouldn't set him too far back, had done a full preseason up until that point, and was able to do plenty of fitness work whilst wearing the hand brace.

Strange that clubs wanted the number of pre-season games reduced (2) and then we go and add a practice match.

Might be related to the dramatic rules changes - they were announced quite late (despite being heavily telegraphed), so it's possible either Carlton or Hawthorn has approached the other side to see if a low key practice game could be scheduled to allow both sides some extra exposure to the new structures without the all the media hoo-ha that will surround the JLT.

Strange that clubs wanted the number of pre-season games reduced (2) and then we go and add a practice match.

I’d say it’s partially to do with the new rules and partially because we’re (and I imagine for Hawthorn with Mitchell going down) still trying to work out a likely 22. With all the injuries and general interruption, we’re still a little unsure how we want to go.

Awesome for supporters.

Might've jumped the gun on Marchbank, Russell mentioned it being a possibility but not sure we have enough evidence that it has actually happened.

Unless I've missed a post/picture.

Jimmae

Recent evidence points to Marchy being on reduced training (low intensity running, no contact drills, as per track watcher at today's session) while there's a photo of Jones out on the park kicking a footy during the same session.

Not conclusive, could be a recovery day for Marchy and Jones could have been assisting with another drill, but at face value it looks like Jones in, Marchy out for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might've jumped the gun on Marchbank, Russell mentioned it being a possibility but not sure we have enough evidence that it has actually happened.

Unless I've missed a post/picture.
It's been a while since Russell said Marchbank was a few days away. Setterfield's resumed so I've just gone with that. Fact is even if he hasn't resumed yet, he's probably got up until 5 days before the game to find that runway to prove fitness.

If it does take that long until he's resumed full training, then you'd only expect to see him out there for 30 minutes of footy, maybe 45.

It's been a while since Russell said Marchbank was a few days away. Setterfield's resumed so I've just gone with that. Fact is even if he hasn't resumed yet, he's probably got up until 5 days before the game to find that runway to prove fitness.

If it does take that long until he's resumed full training, then you'd only expect to see him out there for 30 minutes of footy, maybe 45.

Rumour doing the Twitter rounds that Marchbank's alleged chronic lower back pain may need to be surgically corrected. Sounded like some nerve ablation procedure...

Rumour doing the Twitter rounds that Marchbank's alleged chronic lower back pain may need to be surgically corrected. Sounded like some nerve ablation procedure...
Yup, commenting on that in the other thread. If it's RF he's out 3 weeks max.

Would they be thinking a lesion of some kind, or just head-scratching after trying to manage the issue?

Yup, commenting on that in the other thread. If it's RF he's out 3 weeks max.

Would they be thinking a lesion of some kind, or just head-scratching after trying to manage the issue?

Oh, I'm assuming that is the bluemour thread, not there yet.

Just reading up on this procedure now.

Seems like they are trying something different after physiotherapy etc hasn't solved the issue. Likelihood in a young athlete is that he's herniated a disc (now impinging on a nerve root) and they're looking for a relatively non-invasive form of management which can alleviate his symptoms quickly. It would be concerning if there was no radiological explanation for his symptoms.

Simple day-case procedure done under local and real-time image guidance.

If true, hopefully it works!

Oh, I'm assuming that is the bluemour thread, not there yet.

Just reading up on this procedure now.

Seems like they are trying something different after physiotherapy etc hasn't solved the issue. Likelihood in a young athlete is that he's herniated a disc (now impinging on a nerve root) and they're looking for a relatively non-invasive form of management which can alleviate his symptoms quickly. It would be concerning if there was no radiological explanation for his symptoms.

Simple day-case procedure done under local and real-time image guidance.

If true, hopefully it works!
My concern there is if it's purely related to wear and tear rather than a growth impeding that recovery, all this does is act as a more precise nerve block, which is a dangerous thing for an athlete to be doing.

My concern there is if it's purely related to wear and tear rather than a growth impeding that recovery, all this does is act as a more precise nerve block, which is a dangerous thing for an athlete to be doing.

Valid, this reads like symptom management rather than definitive treatment, which doesn't particularly bode well for his future career.

Valid, this reads like symptom management rather than definitive treatment, which doesn't particularly bode well for his future career.
I've had this done to my back. If it's the same procedure, using Xray, needles inserted (like acupuncture) into the back to burn the affected nerves. Day surgery, and not major surgery thank goodness. Limited success though. (Didn't work for me) Hope it works for Caleb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back