Analysis 2019 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

By the sounds of it melican will 100% be in the team come r1 , that pushes Grundy out.
I presume Grundy was told that he would be back up in 19 if he wanted another year

Melican will be playing on the power forwards, hoping that Rampe or thurlow can come across and help out if aliir is occupied

Could move Marsh into defense and Rampe could have played a more midfield role.
Jack played midfield running forward, Rampe at best would play defence running through the midfield... but the defence was already having issues, so to take Rampe out would have further exacerbated them.

That was the problem for most of the year... I agree that in most circumstances Jack would not have been picked at all. But, and it was a huge but, we were short all over the ground! We were playing a hell of a lot of youngsters down forward, so we needed someone to help Buddy steer them through the game. I reckon that was the major reason Jack was played.

Jack played midfield running forward, Rampe at best would play defence running through the midfield... but the defence was already having issues, so to take Rampe out would have further exacerbated them.

That was the problem for most of the year... I agree that in most circumstances Jack would not have been picked at all. But, and it was a huge but, we were short all over the ground! We were playing a hell of a lot of youngsters down forward, so we needed someone to help Buddy steer them through the game. I reckon that was the major reason Jack was played.

Maybe your theory re playing KJ is right. In my view the youngsters on the forward line - Ronke and Haywood provided far more value as did Ollie in the mid/funning forward role.

I am not sure how long KJ is out with his bung knee but it sounds like he will not be ready by Round 1.

Maybe your theory re playing KJ is right. In my view the youngsters on the forward line - Ronke and Haywood provided far more value as did Ollie in the mid/funning forward role.

I am not sure how long KJ is out with his bung knee but it sounds like he will not be ready by Round 1.
I'd be surprised if he played much first grade without a hell of a lot of improvement from last year. He's contracted, so he was always staying on but I can't imagine they'll play him unless fully fit and playing well in the NEAFL unless we are in the same dire straits as last year.

Jack playing was not impacted by either Ronke or Haywood, but I am expecting big steps up from both of them this year.

Robinson was already playing in some of those last six games, so that rules him out. Fox played games 17,18,19, 22 & 23; so that rules him out as well. Towers never came back after the eye injury, which leads me to believe there was an issue. So that leaves Marsh... tell me about your tweaking? Who would you have moved and who would you have replaced them with?
Just a slight correction Kirky. Towers did come back after the eye injury but only played a game or two before trotting off to the all powerful NEAFL.

Just a slight correction Kirky. Towers did come back after the eye injury but only played a game or two before trotting off to the all powerful NEAFL.
thank you Mick. Do you know if he played well? I don't remember him coming back, so I've no idea how he played.

Any idea what kept him out for the rest of the season?

When he came back to the seniors, I suspect Horse et al decided the 'people's champ' was suffering from acute and chronic 'spuditis'.

Like most here, I was a fan of Deano. On game day I'd hope for the best and that he would truly find a way to become the 'difference'. Over his career with us, I actually could see improvements in his game where his athleticism matched better with his understanding of the game plan.

When he came back to the seniors, I suspect Horse et al decided the 'people's champ' was suffering from acute and chronic 'spuditis'.

Like most here, I was a fan of Deano. On game day I'd hope for the best and that he would truly find a way to become the 'difference'. Over his career with us, I actually could see improvements in his game where his athleticism matched better with his understanding of the game plan.
He came back for round 16 and had 8 disposals, 2 hitouts and 4 tackles in a 12 point loss to the Cats at the SCG. Might have to rewatch that to see what happened...

I'll have a go at best 22 for round 1:

B: Smith, Melican, Lloyd
HB: Cunningham, Aliir, Thurlow
C: Florent, Kennedy, Hewett
HF: Hayward, Reid, Parker
F: Papley, Franklin, Ronke
FOLL: Sinclair, Heeney, Mills
I/C: Jones, Blakey, McVeigh, Dawson

Maybe back into 22 when healthy??
Menzel > Dawson
McCartin > Reid

Next in line:
Clarke
Grundy
Jack
McInerney
O'Riordan
Naismith

Menzel > Dawson
McCartin > Reid

Next in line:
Clarke
Grundy
Jack
McInerney
O'Riordan
Naismith

I don't think Buddy is going to be available as it was mentioned in the commentary of the Swans/GWS practice game that he is a week or two behind Menzel and Menzel did not believe he would be available for round 1. I also doubt McCartin will be available, though to be fair you did not include him.

thank you Mick. Do you know if he played well? I don't remember him coming back, so I've no idea how he played.

Didn’t play well at all, but he did have a good NEAFL season (did he make NEAFL Team of Year?).

Look, he had his doubters and personally I think he played well before injury. He probably should’ve played more late season but it appeared he must’ve shagged the coach’s wife as many others have appeared to have done in the past! Having said that, he’s older with no more upside and probably where he should be. From all reports though...ripping bloke!

I don't think Buddy is going to be available as it was mentioned in the commentary of the Swans/GWS practice game that he is a week or two behind Menzel and Menzel did not believe he would be available for round 1. I also doubt McCartin will be available, though to be fair you did not include him.
No. Menzel is a week or two behind Franklin and Menzel is hoping Round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Menzel > Dawson
McCartin > Reid

Next in line:
Clarke
Grundy
Jack
McInerney
O'Riordan
Naismith

Old fellas, new recruits, draftees, blokes coming back from injury and ops... it’s sooo interesting I just wish it was here already!
I have no idea who is gonna make it but I will go out on a limb and say Dane Rampe (C) will be in there somewhere ;)

Last edited:
Revision of the best 22 a month out from the season start.

B: Smith, Grundy, Jones
HB: Aliir, Melican, Rampe
C: Parker, Kennedy, Lloyd
HF: Hayward, Franklin, Menzel
F: Papley, Reid, Ronke
R: Sinclair, Mills, Heeney

I: Florent, Cunningham, Hewett, Blakey

Depth:
Dawson
Clarke
McVeigh
Maibaum
Thurlow
Rowbottom
McInerney
COR
K Jack
Naismith
McCartin

I like the idea of playing all three of Grundy, Melican and Aliir. Grundy and Melican are fairly strong one on one and while Aliir is less convincing in such a contest, think he should float around as a third tall and try to cut across to intercept and help out which he's good at. Also frees up Rampe to be more of a rebounding option. Over the course of the year Maibaum could get the opportunity to establish himself as a long term replacement for Reg. Looks like he uses the body well and holds his own in the aerial contest in the scratch match against GWS so the tools are there.

Would like to see Lloyd up the ground a bit more, think he could be more damaging with some run and carry on the outside and can hit up leading forwards with his short passes. Don't really believe that doing the kickins and taking the ball out from deep in defence is the best use of his skillset despite him winning the B&F from that position. Maintain that Rampe is probably the best man for the job.

Liked what little I saw of Mills on the inside, usually able to get hands free in a tackle and dish off a handball with really fast hands which is a trait of all good inside mids. Midfield has the most questions so far, we'll need Heeney to elevate himself to another level this year and take charge, Florent did well in patches last season and if he continues the trajectory of improvement it would help as well. Consider Cunningham best 22 mainly on the wing with his running power, has good instincts in the forward half and works hard defensively. Biggest weakness is the ruck but there's no immediate fix for that.

Forward line on paper at least looks formidable, Blakey is something special and I'd fully expect him to play a role in the senior team in his first year just like Mills, Heeney, Hayward etc.

I couldn't find a spot for McVeigh but I have no doubt that he'd command a spot to start the season. Although by the end of 2019 hopefully we've identified a youngster who steps up to be a long term successor to him, Grundy and maybe Smith.

Anyone else see Clarke as just depth? I’m glad we got him but I don’t see a spot for him. We will have six full time mids this year (JPK, Parker, Heeney, Hewett, Florent and Mills.) Then there’s the two who I think will rotate from half back (Jones & Cunningham) and from half forward (Papley & Hayward and even Blakey.) That’s eleven potential or definite midfielders I’d have ahead of Clarke. Even if it came to relying on depth if an injury hits, Dawson would be better than Clarke.

I watched a replay of the scratch match and it was pretty clear that Florent was at home playing the Hanners role that Clarke was pegged to play, just with more pace and class. So I think Clarke is really gonna have his work cut out for him this year and not sure he’ll be the certain in people thought he’d be when we recruited him.

This is my current round 1 22, assuming Menzel, Buddy, McCartin & Naismith are all out injured

B: Smith, Grundy, Lloyd
C: Jones, Heeney, Florent
HF: Parker, Hayward, Blakey
F: Ronke, Reid, Papley
R: Sinclair, Kennedy, Mills
Int: Hewett, McVeigh, Cunningham, Cameron (in for structure)

Back 6 is extremely solid, midfield has a healthy mix of youth/experience and talent, but the forward line is a little young.

Anyone else see Clarke as just depth? I’m glad we got him but I don’t see a spot for him. We will have six full time mids this year (JPK, Parker, Heeney, Hewett, Florent and Mills.) Then there’s the two who I think will rotate from half back (Jones & Cunningham) and from half forward (Papley & Hayward and even Blakey.) That’s eleven potential or definite midfielders I’d have ahead of Clarke. Even if it came to relying on depth if an injury hits, Dawson would be better than Clarke.

I watched a replay of the scratch match and it was pretty clear that Florent was at home playing the Hanners role that Clarke was pegged to play, just with more pace and class. So I think Clarke is really gonna have his work cut out for him this year and not sure he’ll be the certain in people thought he’d be when we recruited him.
I really like the look of Clarke but struggle to fit him into a healthy Swans midfield. In saying that I have him as the next one in so he'll have every opportunity to claim a spot as his own. A bit of competition is real good for the team.

This is my current round 1 22, assuming Menzel, Buddy, McCartin & Naismith are all out injured

B: Smith, Grundy, Lloyd
C: Jones, Heeney, Florent
HF: Parker, Hayward, Blakey
F: Ronke, Reid, Papley
R: Sinclair, Kennedy, Mills
Int: Hewett, McVeigh, Cunningham, Cameron (in for structure)

Back 6 is extremely solid, midfield has a healthy mix of youth/experience and talent, but the forward line is a little young.

As much as I want Cameron to succeed nothing in the practice match on Friday indicates he is ready. I hope though he comes out in the two JLT games and kills it.

As much as I want Cameron to succeed nothing in the practice match on Friday indicates he is ready. I hope though he comes out in the two JLT games and kills it.

We may not have any choice. With Franklin, McCartin and Naismith out, again our talls are thin on the ground.
If Reid does the rucking while Sinkers is resting, our tallest forward is Blakey, and while he has already been marked down as a gun, this will still be his first game.
Further, with the new ruck rules, there is certainly a school of thought that two rucks are required.

Of course there is still the pre season, but on present indications, given the conservative nature of Horse, I'd expect Cameron to play.

Out of left field, maybe play Aliir and Melican as the talls in the back, and have Reg as a ruck/forward.

Yeah agree that he hasn't shown much when given the opportunity but we really need an extra tall. He took a great contested mark on Friday and if he can bring that sort of presence to a game he'll serve his purpose

When was the last time we actually developed a ruckman from draft to best 22?? Can only really think of Pyke this century and thats obviously different circumstances.
I thought Doyle was good but injury meant he never really got going.

Ball, Jolly, Everitt, Chambers(what a spectacular dud), Playfair, Tippett, Sinclair..

A while back it seemed we might buck the trend but with Nankervis leaving and Naismiths development stunted through repeat long injuries I'm skeptical.

When was the last time we actually developed a ruckman from draft to best 22?? Can only really think of Pyke this century and thats obviously different circumstances.
I thought Doyle was good but injury meant he never really got going.

Ball, Jolly, Everitt, Chambers(what a spectacular dud), Playfair, Tippett, Sinclair..

A while back it seemed we might buck the trend but with Nankervis leaving and Naismiths development stunted through repeat long injuries I'm skeptical.

Despite what Richmond fans claim Nankervis is not actually that good either. He is okay around the ground, but he is a rather bad tap ruckman.

Despite what Richmond fans claim Nankervis is not actually that good either. He is okay around the ground, but he is a rather bad tap ruckman.

If only we'd kept Nank and given away Tippett.

Agree Nank is average at ball ups, but is more than useful around the ground. He has the nasty streak absent in our three current rucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back