Analysis 2019 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite what Richmond fans claim Nankervis is not actually that good either. He is okay around the ground, but he is a rather bad tap ruckman.

I think thats overstating it, he's a fine player with plenty of time to improve there. Good game sense and a sweet kick, already a better player than Sinclair.

Disagree. Sinclair is more than a handy forward if he is left there.

C'mon. Handy? We have much better options. The guy will be 30 this season and has a career high of 14 goals in a season. Goes at 0.6 goals per game, while Nank kicks 0.4 goals per game. Sinclair hadn't even played AFL when he was Nanks current age. Nank tackles more, gets more of the footy and uses it better, while Sinclair averages a whole 4 hitouts more (whilst our opponents averaged the most hit outs in the comp against us. nearly 50 per match)

C'mon. Handy? We have much better options. The guy will be 30 this season and has a career high of 14 goals in a season. Goes at 0.6 goals per game, while Nank kicks 0.4 goals per game. Sinclair hadn't even played AFL when he was Nanks current age. Nank tackles more, gets more of the footy and uses it better, while Sinclair averages a whole 4 hitouts more (whilst our opponents averaged the most hit outs in the comp against us. nearly 50 per match)

Yes but he very rarely spends much time forward. He can be quite dominant there when he is left in the forward line the entire game.

Yes but he very rarely spends much time forward. He can be quite dominant there when he is left in the forward line the entire game.

I don't think thats supported by his performances. The guy has a career high of 14 goals. If that we're so he would be played there more consistently, since he is certainly a very ordinary ruck.

He dominated against St Kilda a few years ago, and since then he has spent very little time in the forward line.

C'mon. He kicked 5 v St Scum, a glorified VFA team that collectively is not fit to tie Port Melbourne's boot laces.

I really like the look of Clarke but struggle to fit him into a healthy Swans midfield. In saying that I have him as the next one in so he'll have every opportunity to claim a spot as his own. A bit of competition is real good for the team.

See I have Dawson ahead of him in the 'depth' category. Because I can't believe that a big-bodied inside midfielder like Dawson who is a beautiful kick and can double as a marking target up forward cannot get into our side. Early days but I just wanna see more of what Clarke can do because he gives off the vibe of being just solid without having any other strings to his bow. All the talk was about his hard running and creative ball use by hands but I didn't see any of that in the scratch match, albeit from only a half of footy.

Dawson's left leg has me drooling too but it's been hard to fit him into our forward line. But with McCartin out for some time, and Menzel and Buddy in doubt for first couple of games, he has to be a walkup start in the early part of the season.

Clarke is the kind of fringe player trade-in we usually get a lot of mileage out of. He averages just under 20 disposals over his first 40 games so he knows how to find the ball. He didn't show a lot in the scratch much but let's see how he goes this week. Our midfield was down last year - we really need young guys like him and Mills to step up.

Sinclair is hardly Grundy or Gawn but he saved our season last year. He's not a great tap ruckman but is excellent around the ground. Against Melbourne Gawn easily won the ruck duels but Sinclair won the marking contests.

Dawson's left leg has me drooling too but it's been hard to fit him into our forward line. But with McCartin out for some time, and Menzel and Buddy in doubt for first couple of games, he has to be a walkup start in the early part of the season.

Clarke is the kind of fringe player trade-in we usually get a lot of mileage out of. He averages just under 20 disposals over his first 40 games so he knows how to find the ball. He didn't show a lot in the scratch much but let's see how he goes this week. Our midfield was down last year - we really need young guys like him and Mills to step up.

Sinclair is hardly Grundy or Gawn but he saved our season last year. He's not a great tap ruckman but is excellent around the ground. Against Melbourne Gawn easily won the ruck duels but Sinclair won the marking contests.

Perhaps the issue is that Dawson shouldn't be in our forward line, but in the midfield. He's a big body, strong in the hips, loves a hard ball, everything we are crying out for at the minute. Obviously there's also Mills, Heeney and Hewett who are of a similar vein, but at least Dawson can rotate through the forward line when those blokes are in the centre. I think Dawson would give us more of an edge as opposed to Clarke. Excited to see them battle for spots in the JLT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what Longmire has said Thurlow seems like it is his spot to lose.

I expect he was obtained specifically to provide run off half back.

I have a mate who has very high connections at Geelong. He told me that Thurlow was highly regarded by all the coaching staff at Geelong, with the exception of the backs coach, Matthew Scarlett. Apparently Scarlett just didn't like him, and despite efforts to sort it out they just didn't get on. So a change of scene was required.

I expect he was obtained specifically to provide run off half back.

I have a mate who has very high connections at Geelong. He told me that Thurlow was highly regarded by all the coaching staff at Geelong, with the exception of the backs coach, Matthew Scarlett. Apparently Scarlett just didn't like him, and despite efforts to sort it out they just didn't get on. So a change of scene was required.

From what Longmire says I agree. Longmire has said several times that he wants Thurlow to take Mills 2017/2018 position so Mills can move into the midfield.

What's the general consensus regarding the likelihood Grundy, Melican and Aliir play in the same team?

Will one miss or will it be horses for courses?
Can easily see all three playing in the same team. Aliir doesn't have to play as a key defender and can easily play on a resting mid/ruck or a shorter forward like Hayward or Dawson (they play more of a marking small forward than a crumbing forward like Papley).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back