Recommitted Darcy Parish [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like he has no confidence. Has fantastic appetite for the contest, works and runs hard. But making bad decisions more often than not. When he gets the ball if there's not an obvious target, he's like a deer in headlights. Just needs to back himself. Has all the tools.

Perhaps he doesnt suit the tsunami game plan ..

4 picks inside 30 for parish, Francis, Morgan and Redman, dodo really ****** that draft

3/4 of those players are pretty decent. I can see about 10 other players that may have been better picks than Parish and Francis, but they aren't total *ups.

3/4 of those players are pretty decent. I can see about 10 other players that may have been better picks than Parish and Francis, but they aren't total ****ups.
That doesn't fit the Hawthorn psychy. Essendon have ****ed everything up. Parish probably gets traded, I think he may need a change of scenery. If only Melbourne didn't change their mind on draft day... Francis and Redman will be really good. I mean, 22 year olds can't improve, right?

That doesn't fit the Hawthorn psychy. Essendon have ****** everything up. Parish probably gets traded, I think he may need a change of scenery. If only Melbourne didn't change their mind on draft day... Francis and Redman will be really good. I mean, 22 year olds can't improve, right?
Melbourne changed their mind on draft day?

Didn't they tell Oliver weeks before the draft they'd be taking him if he lost weight?

Melbourne changed their mind on draft day?

Didn't they tell Oliver weeks before the draft they'd be taking him if he lost weight?
They changed their mind every couple of days leading into the draft. It was very tight between Clarry and Parish. And they were banking on Carlton selecting Weitering, if they'd selected Schache, Brisbane were likely to take Oliver and Melbourne Parish.

They changed their mind every couple of days leading into the draft. It was very tight between Clarry and Parish. And they were banking on Carlton selecting Weitering, if they'd selected Schache, Brisbane were likely to take Oliver and Melbourne Parish.
If only.

That doesn't fit the Hawthorn psychy. Essendon have ****** everything up. Parish probably gets traded, I think he may need a change of scenery. If only Melbourne didn't change their mind on draft day... Francis and Redman will be really good. I mean, 22 year olds can't improve, right?
Look I hate essendon as much as u hate us, but I can have an unbiased opinion, some of your drafting has been great, your lower picks in Fantasia, tippa, merret seem to be better choices than a lot of your higher picks. We’ve ****ed up plenty of early picks aswell, but using 5 & 6 on blokes that might not be at your club within 4 years would piss me off immensely

They can improve, but not many stars (which is what you are hoping for in first rounders) are playing reserves footy in their 4th season.

Parish will be really good too. He has all the tools. Continuity and consistency seem to be a problem. Im not sure what the answer is, but i hope the club have it. Else, we will likely find out how good he can be elsewhere.

As for the draft, it was a fairly even one.
Schache to brisbane had the feel good/safety thing about (who'd have known). Weitering was always going #1.
Oliver, Parish, Francis, Milera & Curnow were the only likely ones we were taking at our picks.

Oliver is the only real stand out there.
The others have all had slow starts and inconsistent performances. Admittedly, right now we could do with Curnow over Parish. But at the time we had no way to know Smith & Shiel would come to us & McGrath was on the horizon.

Right decision at the time. He was the first pure midfielder we'd taken in a draft in a very long time.
Typical that we play him on a flank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can improve, but not many stars (which is what you are hoping for in first rounders) are playing reserves footy in their 4th season.
the puzzling thing is, im not sure why he is.
He had a bad patch for 4-5m on friday. but he's been pretty good since coming back in.
And he did some good things friday too.

He's not gonna 30+ possessions a week with Merrett, Shiel and Heppell in the team. Those guys are gonna find the ball more.
20~ with the pressure he puts on and the engine he has to run out 4 quarters is important to us.

Victim of depth it would seem. Zaka and Smith were always coming back in.
Question for Parish is does he hang around until Zaka retires (oldest of the smaller, running mids we have).
Can't seem him hanging around tbh.

It's funny how obsessive people are over digging in the heels to a kid who hasn't even turnt 22 yet.

If you go back to the actual draft he was a clear stand out (available) midfielder to us. As was mentioned in the 2015 draft thread, our mids were miserly at the time so we took him.

To think we ****** this up so bad is naive. Hindsight drafting is pathetic. Who were we going to select as a midfielder with pick 6? Hopper (Academy tied), Kennedy (Academy tied) were the next two best mids taken. We were/are flush for flankers so always going to pass on Milera, Ah Chee whilst many fail to realise the potency we had with our KPP's at the time.

One of those KPP's in hindsight would be nice but we were fairly flush at the time for KPP's at both ends hence no real necessity to address this list need. The KPP's were seen at the time to be a rung or two below the guys taken in that top 5.

the puzzling thing is, im not sure why he is.
He had a bad patch for 4-5m on friday. but he's been pretty good since coming back in.
And he did some good things friday too.

He's not gonna 30+ possessions a week with Merrett, Shiel and Heppell in the team. Those guys are gonna find the ball more.
20~ with the pressure he puts on and the engine he has to run out 4 quarters is important to us.

Victim of depth it would seem. Zaka and Smith were always coming back in.
Question for Parish is does he hang around until Zaka retires (oldest of the smaller, running mids we have).
Can't seem him hanging around tbh.

It's funny the obsession people have with digging the heels in. Parish has played the 6th most (59 games) games of any 2015 draftee. The kid can obviously play. He cops a raw deal because he was a top 6 pick and people are so sad and pathetic on this forum they enjoy digging the heels in than commending the success'.

If Parish was selected in the 20's this would be a non discussion.

It's funny the obsession people have with digging the heels in. Parish has played the 6th most (59 games) games of any 2015 draftee. The kid can obviously play. He cops a raw deal because he was a top 6 pick and people are so sad and pathetic on this forum they enjoy digging the heels in than commending the success'.

If Parish was selected in the 20's this would be a non discussion.
Parish is a good average AFL footballer who unfortunately has no stand out traits. Definitely suffers from being a top 10 selection.

On the flip side, the majority of BF posters continually get stuck in to Jack Silvagni as if he’s failed to meet expectations. 44 games in 3 years as a pick 53 suggests he has done better than expected. Is a good depth player, which you expect from a pick 53.

Parish is a good average AFL footballer who unfortunately has no stand out traits. Definitely suffers from being a top 10 selection.

On the flip side, the majority of BF posters continually get stuck in to Jack Silvagni as if he’s failed to meet expectations. 44 games in 3 years as a pick 53 suggests he has done better than expected. Is a good depth player, which you expect from a pick 53.

So are many. Callum Mills was taken two selections prior to Darcy and every one is fawning over him Stats who some people seem to love are actually pretty comparable. Both midfielders taken early now played out of position.

So are many. Callum Mills was taken two selections prior to Darcy and every one is fawning over him Stats who some people seem to love are actually pretty comparable. Both midfielders taken early now played out of position.
Disagree that "everyone" is fawning over Mills. Most, including me, believe he has stagnated and is a good average player; same as Parish.

Another Parish game from Parish I thought. Pretty stat sheet but he offered no point of difference for Essendon. His disposals had little importance, he wasn't involved in any significant plays for Essendon and he was often selling his mates into trouble with his disposals. I just don't get what Essendon supporters see in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back