Autopsy Geelong defeated by Tigers by 31 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was Danger up forward for so long? one of if not the best clearance player in the country barely gets in the midfield until the last quarter.

Fully aware of the injury, also aware he was ineffectual in every final.
If the club comes out in the next handful of days and says he's off for surgery for an undisclosed injury he's carried all year I will temper the criticism but going from a guy who was showing small glimpses in seasons 2 and 3 of gradual improvement to a guy who was average for most of the season is deserving of critique.

People on here get on Blicavs, Kolo, Bews, Duncan, Danger, Guthrie, Menegola, Rohan for being crap in finals and not handling the pressure. He was worst on the ground last year's PF, had a dirty finals series this season, and showed little signs of being able to take up the slack that Danger and Joel are soon to leave. But those guys above at least perform to a high level at some point during the season.

I don't get all gooey over his pressure and tackling ability, pressure, and tackling is for guys who don't have the football.
When he strings 3, 4, 5 games in a row 20-30 touches and shows his class. THEN and only then will I start to praise him.

You’re full of crap buddy. Parfitt was superb in our previous two wins against Bris and Coll. Your boy Kolo however s**t his pants last night - his turnover kick one of a couple of basic errors that halted our momentum. Get angry. But not with Parfitt, who before being injured was playing well. Get angry if it makes you feel better with the likes of Dangerfield and Blicavs who played selfish footy, Rohan who did sfa, and of your boy Kolo who should have presented the Norm Smith to Dusty.

Twas a massive blunder.

by the 4th when he went to the middle, we looked worse off because of it. Oh well.

missed opportunities, that’s what it came down too and then not being able to stop tigers momentum. We should have been at least 5 goals up at half time.

I've watched the boys lose more GF's than they've won in the last 50 years.

Each one hurts, it guts you...... But with time you realise that the sun still comes up the next day, your job is just the same, and the dog still loves you.

Yes, it's a passionate pastime, you invest emotionally, but always remember, it's just a game. It doesn't cure cancer, feed the homeless, or stop wars.

Life goes on.
Agreed. I'm disappointed, but this one doesn't hurt nearly as much as 2008. We have no right to be still up there competing so many years later.

I'm proud of the boys, they gave it their all but ultimately were beaten by a better side at the top of their game, in their prime.

I just checked outside. Yes, the sun is in fact up. Today is a new day and next year will be a new year where hopefully the boys can reset and go one better.

But when he was in the game in the last quarter he did nothing.

The idea that if he’d been in the centre in the third quarter we’d have won the game is delusional.

The game was gone by 3/4 time, and I never suggested we would've won, but now we'll never know, will we?

We were playing the very best team. We needed to get first hands on the ball every opportunity to give ourselves a chance. So we weakened our midfield by removing our very best midfielder and hiding him at FF.

Ok.

We should've had Dangerfield in the middle at the bounces in the third quarter when we had the lead. It would've made a huge difference.
Key defenders can shut him down deep.

Good season overall and surpassed my expectations. Tigers are a much better team imho.

Absolutely l knew it would be exposed by Richmond, same approach as the time before just wouldn't cut it.
If Scott wasn't going to play Jenkins as a second forward why did we recruit him in the first place?
Anyhow the small approach has failed again, bring on Jeremy Cameron.
Congrats to Sam Menegola highly criticized
in finals (big game) and Sam Simpson (tough) going to be a big find next season.

I knew it was your fault, & that you'd admit it eventually. Joke aside, watching the 3rd quarter (again) is exactly like the 3rd qtr of the prelim last year. Something the umpires in their stupid somethings. Richmond are taking possession and just dropping the ball when a cat attempts to tackle, over and over and over again...no whistle.

There was at least 2-3 instances of Nankervis taking the ball out of the ruck (which you now can do), but not disposing of the footy, being tackled and the ball just drops clear. And the holding the ball i think on Kolo when he'd just gathered the ball and is bumped and the ball dislodged almost instantly, that was costly too. Although Geelong got a few frees earlier in the game, i don't think it had a decisive impact. But i am sure as hell that not every way and means the Tigers get the ball out of packs and from tackles is anything but a throw or at least a whoof.

Still what strikes me is just how quick they are to always be where a loose ball goes. Their leg speed is just amazing, and it also occurred to me this observation. Look at how quick, evasive and dangerous their cohort of Indigenous players are. Bolton, Rioli, even though he didn't do too much, Pickett all are fleet of foot and seem untacklable. They side-step, shimmy, evade...and of course along with Dusty who really probably is the most astonishingly well performed finals player ever...they are so often on the end of those loose balls and of course they kick the ball forward into more space.

If only Cockatoo could get fit, but alas it really looks like he'll migrate north to Brisbane, maybe the same Lourdes water that turned McCarthy from a bloke who'd do a hammy pouring his cornflakes into a bowl will work the same magic with the utensil. Narkle also is a bloke who i think can be that evasive, quick type, but through injury earlier in the year and whatever else, he never got back into our side. And partly agreeing with Art Vandelay here with Parfitt, he's more an inside type, not really a pacy sort who will break lines. We need to address this aspect of our game i feel to beat Richmond, although fair's fair, we are good enough to beat pretty much anyone else.

But the prospect of a genuine star KPP in Cameron appeals greatly, and hopefully some more development from the younger brigade. We're going to need Cooper Stephens to play, in one sense drafting a midfielder with pick 16 and not seeing him at all in his debut season was a disappointment, although he might have been coming off an injury earlier, the absence of traditional reserves games probably had a large impact for some. I still have confidence Geelong will be up there, hopefully they can still maintain the belief. By and large they had a pretty good season, i doubt too many fans would turn down a Grand Final berth at the start of the year. But Richmond...sheesh what they do with footy is something that infuriates me, puzzles me but i have no choice but to admit it's bloody successful. Let's hope Geelong can beat them, rather than having to join them.

I mean I know he is a very capable forward but surely you get him in the heat of the kitchen from the start so he gets really involved, then you rest him forward at certain times.. what do I know though.

We had them struggling in the first half but couldn't drive the nails home. Danger might've just had the hammer, but he was left stagnating up forward so we'll never know.

I might be in that old age group now, aside from a couple of screams of exasperation at the turnover kick by Kolo and Selwood's awful handball after winning the free after a centre bounce, the end result had that inevitability factor about it. Richmond's speed, ability to pick up the loose bobbling ball as it pinballed around the packs and then having Dusty was decisive.

Martin is someone who is a freak of a sportsman. I get the feeling that unlike some, he simply has no thought of failure in his mind at all. Like absolutely no inhibition, no fear of failure, and no concern for consequences. I think they were saying he had 17.2 at half time, well by game's end he's kicked 20.2 in finals in the last four years or something. 20.2!!!! And many of his goals are snaps from awkward spots and fast gathers, not Joe the Gooses or anything.

He's also been BOG in 8 of the Tiger's 10 Finals wins since 2017. It's a trait that just puts him in almost unrivalled air. I dislike his tatts and perhaps just how he looks like somewhat of a thug, but as a footballer he is a machine. Never gets injured, lifts when he's needed. Arguably he may be the greatest finals player who has ever drawn breath on this basis. Three Norms in three Flags. He is the cream which rises to the top and compliments the absolute chaos speedball the tigers play. Aesthetically it's just not what i like footy to be, it's nothing like what Geelong's glorious high-scoring skillful smashings we would do from '07-11, but there's almost been nothing to come near this footy since 2017. One Mason Cox cameo, and a drought braking loss to the Lions are the only losses from the 12 finals since 2017.

Geelong when it comes to the crunch just hasn't got the motor to match these fleet footed Tigers when the pinball flies out with the likes of Bolton, Costanza, Rioli, Pickett etc are scouting the packs. And we sadly would either fumble or just over-run or miss the footy when going for it in the packs, then a pinball bounce will see the Tigers swarm forward. Congratulations to Gaz Jr and Harry, Geelong champions for their years of service. But we need to introduce more pace in the side, there's really no other way the Tigers can be tamed unless their own self-satisfaction starts to lessen their intensity.

But i cannot be upset at the season. Finished second, beaten by a side which the record books will say is one of the all-time most successful in how they play....and really aside from that Mason Cox 1st half in the 2018 PF, they could have 4 flags in a row. And nobody really has worked out how to beat what they do in finals footy. And having a bloke who has essentially accumulated enough votes to win a post-season Brownlow in the last 4 years and kicks 20.2 in finals, well that's pretty much it. Too good the Tigers are, sad to say.

I think Martin now goes into the conversation of the best players of all time. He’s now certainly one of the most decorated. Talk about Ablett tonight being the GOAT, I reckon the guy wearing the no.4 for them possibly now wears it.

your players kicked some great goals from outside 50, and looked imposing.

To say you dominated as much as us is being a little generous. Yes you had chances, but we had Lynch and Jack>r who couldn't take a mark for a half of footy.
Rioli did nothing but fumble half the game. we had our spuds too, its swings and roundabouts....we have a lot of faster players than you do, you have a lot of bigger body players then us.

Once again, agree to disagree on that.

That cats should have been 5 or more goals up at half time easily. I think that equates to being dominant for one quarter as opposed to the tigers for the second half.

As for faster players, yes and no. I would say the cats have a couple of the fastest players in the league, but they also some of the oldest...who have slowed down considerably.

btw, why are you here arguing your point on a cats board? This is a place for cats fans to discuss / vent. It’d be like me going onto the tigers board and complaining about some of the umpiring decisions in the 3rd quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was at least 2-3 instances of Nankervis taking the ball out of the ruck (which you now can do), but not disposing of the footy, being tackled and the ball just drops clear. And the holding the ball i think on Kolo when he'd just gathered the ball and is bumped and the ball dislodged almost instantly, that was costly too. Although Geelong got a few frees earlier in the game, i don't think it had a decisive impact. But i am sure as hell that not every way and means the Tigers get the ball out of packs and from tackles is anything but a throw or at least a whoof.

Still what strikes me is just how quick they are to always be where a loose ball goes. Their leg speed is just amazing, and it also occurred to me this observation. Look at how quick, evasive and dangerous their cohort of Indigenous players are. Bolton, Rioli, even though he didn't do too much, Pickett all are fleet of foot and seem untacklable. They side-step, shimmy, evade...and of course along with Dusty who really probably is the most astonishingly well performed finals player ever...they are so often on the end of those loose balls and of course they kick the ball forward into more space.

If only Cockatoo could get fit, but alas it really looks like he'll migrate north to Brisbane, maybe the same Lourdes water that turned McCarthy from a bloke who'd do a hammy pouring his cornflakes into a bowl will work the same magic with the utensil. Narkle also is a bloke who i think can be that evasive, quick type, but through injury earlier in the year and whatever else, he never got back into our side. And partly agreeing with Art Vandelay here with Parfitt, he's more an inside type, not really a pacy sort who will break lines. We need to address this aspect of our game i feel to beat Richmond, although fair's fair, we are good enough to beat pretty much anyone else.

But the prospect of a genuine star KPP in Cameron appeals greatly, and hopefully some more development from the younger brigade. We're going to need Cooper Stephens to play, in one sense drafting a midfielder with pick 16 and not seeing him at all in his debut season was a disappointment, although he might have been coming off an injury earlier, the absence of traditional reserves games probably had a large impact for some. I still have confidence Geelong will be up there, hopefully they can still maintain the belief. By and large they had a pretty good season, i doubt too many fans would turn down a Grand Final berth at the start of the year. But Richmond...sheesh what they do with footy is something that infuriates me, puzzles me but i have no choice but to admit it's bloody successful. Let's hope Geelong can beat them, rather than having to join them.

They're big guys are big and their smaller players strong and fast, they all play big and fast.
That's about it.

I was surprised they didn't replay it a thousand times

The ball did appear to deviate toward the middle of the goals after passing near the post. I reckon there's a chance it may have brushed it, but we never saw a close up of it. Was certainly worth a review i believe. Aspects of the coverage sucked, i hate how they change the angles of a shot on goal to something non traditional, the ones behind the player are pretty good as you can see what's happening. But they always miss the Hawkins right foot around the corner jobs...and when they miss, you never see a replay as to how he even kicked it. He might have to shelve that around the corner idea, he's not been that good with them in recent games.

We had them struggling in the first half but couldn't drive the nails home. Danger might've just had the hammer, but he was left stagnating up forward so we'll never know.
Coaches make some bizarre calls against Richmond it seems the week before we had a midget on Dusty when he was deep forward, pinched minutes with an injured player on one leg for the sake of rotations cost us two goals & had Wines, Rozee stuck on the bench for far too long in the last quarter.

I mean s**t happens but it's hard to accept self inflicted wounds.

I think Martin now goes into the conversation of the best players of all time. He’s now certainly one of the most decorated. Talk about Ablett tonight being the GOAT, I reckon the guy wearing the no.4 for them possibly now wears it.

Yeah, but he’d need to do it consistently for 10+ years. He rarely gets tagged too. He may get there.

The game was gone by 3/4 time, and I never suggested we would've won, but now we'll never know, will we?

We were playing the very best team. We needed to get first hands on the ball every opportunity to give ourselves a chance. So we weakened our midfield by removing our very best midfielder and hiding him at FF.

Ok.

No, you didn't suggest we would've won but others have.

He played mostly up forwards the previous two weeks and it worked. It didn't last night.

I don't agree the game was gone by three quarter time. They were two points ahead, for God's sake.

If he's that good he should have been able to get his hands on the ball in the last quarter.

I remember the prelim last year when he went missing after half time while playing on the ball.

Maybe making the move would have made a difference. We'll never know.

Coaches make some bizarre calls against Richmond it seems the week before we had a midget on Dusty when he was deep forward, pinched minutes with an injured player on one leg for the sake of rotations cost us two goals & had Wines, Rozee stuck on the bench for far too long in the last quarter.

I mean sh*t happens but it's hard to accept self inflicted wounds.

I heard Kingy say that CS is considered to have the best 'in match situational awareness' of any coach.

Not sure he lived up to that last night.

If "dynasty" is defined as a team that wins multiple premierships then almost everyone has seen loads of dynasties. The media acts like they're uncommon for some unknown reason. They're not. Pretty much every decade for the last 50 years has had *multiple* "dynasty" teams.

Dynasty = Multiple premierships(3) over a period of time. So a minimum of 3 flags over a 4-5-6 year period for me.
Only seen it done by Hawthorn twice, Lions, Cats and now the Tigers.
RFC has dominated for the past 4 years for 3 Flags.... that is a Dynasty my friend & kudos to them.

No, you didn't suggest we would've won but others have.

He played mostly up forwards the previous two weeks and it worked. It didn't last night.

I don't agree the game was gone by three quarter time. They were two points ahead, for God's sake.

If he's that good he should have been able to get his hands on the ball in the last quarter.

I remember the prelim last year when he went missing after half time while playing on the ball.

Maybe making the move would have made a difference. We'll never know.

By saying the game was gone by 3/4 time I wasn't referencing the scoreboard, but the knowledge we were staring down a last quarter tsunami knowing we were powerless to stop it.

You could see it in their eyes, their body language, and their lack of belief. They were shot.

Our backline perform when we dominate games, when we dont they get found out. We need to get blokes who can actually stand up when the midfield is getting overrun and actually beat their opponent 1 on 1 and halt the momentum.
That's a pretty tall order, especially against a rampaging Richmond.
I don't think anyone in the comp has those players.

Saying that, our backs became very static and reactive in the 2nd half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back