Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 83 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 277 76.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible he is just bored with it all?

The same stuff tends to happen again and again around stoppages

Not lack of second efforts but growing sense of ennui?

Yeah ennui is a bit too fancy for BF.

I mean..who do you think you are…Ralph Waldo Emerson?

Like Voss or Hird or Buckley
Exactly!
I was thinking also of Lethal, Royce, Carey, Wilson, Paul Kelly (I loved this bloke), Williams, Nichols, Abletts.

In comparison, young Daics is a good player.

Yeh' Hird was a freak. One of the most impactful footballer of his generation. One of those rare players who could flip a switch and just dominate in bursts.
Also a brilliant overhead mark. Very dynamic.
Contested marks were only recorded for about 150 of the games Hird played in, but in those 150 games he took more contested marks in one game about 100 times more than the number of contested marks Nick has taken in 50 games.

Contested marks were only recorded for about 150 of the games Hird played in, but in those 150 games he took more contested marks in one game about 100 times more than the number of contested marks Nick has taken in 50 games.
Same as Matt Rowell. What a fascinating share.

What’s the point exactly?

Hird is a better contested mark than Daicos and Rowell? Wowee!

I believe thats what they're getting at, yep.

Also refuses to stand in harms way when the ball is in dispute on the ground. The game vs the Saints highlighted that perfectly
He truly lowered his colours against the Saints, no doubt. But weird flex from old mate above trying to share contested marking stats as some prerequisite to being a good midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same as Matt Rowell. What a fascinating share.

What’s the point exactly?

Hird is a better contested mark than Daicos and Rowell? Wowee!
Glad you like it.

Make what you want of it.

Thanks for sharing that interesting stat about Rowell. I do also note Rowell's CP:UP runs at around 1.8:1 while Nick's runs at 1:2.2.

Rowell has had 87 1%'s, and Nick has had 24.

Rowell has laid 438 tackles, Nick 144.

Rowell has 405 clearances to his name, Nick 145.

Of course, Rowell has played 15 more games than Nick.

Again, make what you want of it.

He truly lowered his colours against the Saints, no doubt. But weird flex from old mate above trying to share contested marking stats as some prerequisite to being a good midfielder.
More like to be in GOAT consideration you have to be great in most aspects of the game and at least adequate in the remainder.

The argument seems to be that Nick's inadequacies in the physical aspects preclude him from GOAT consideration regardless of his strengths in other areas of the game.

I would simply argue that it is at least five years too early to be even discussing GOAT-like matters for Nick!

Glad you like it.

Thanks for sharing that interesting stat about Rowell. I do also note Rowell's CP:UP runs at around 1.8:1 while Nick's runs at 1:2.2.

Can you please compare the same players for total disposals, disposal efficiency, Brownlow votes, MVP placings and premierships?

Thank you.

Can you please compare the same players for total disposals, disposal efficiency, Brownlow votes, MVP placings and premierships?

Thank you.
Out of curiosity why exactly do you place premierships as a criteria?

They aren’t exactly the best example to judge a players influence because in terms of looking at the individual without a good team around them they aren’t even going to make finals or win a flag

If Daicos wasn’t taken as a father son pick and was drafted to a side that finished at the bottom of the ladder (like most number 1 draft picks) he wouldn’t of won a flag so the comparison is weighted in Daicos’s favour who has that advantage that others didn’t

For eg if Sheezel was somhow drafted to the pies would the fact he played in a flag mean somehow he is a better player than what he is a north Melbourne?

If Daicos wasn’t taken as a father son pick and was drafted to a side that finished at the bottom of the ladder (like most number 1 draft picks) he wouldn’t of won a flag so the comparison is weighted in Daicos’s favour who has that advantage that others didn’t
No, he wasn't drafted to a side that finished bottom of the ladder, he was drafted to a side that finished 17th.

You might want to refer to Jonathon Brown's definition of the 'Daicos Effect', which has been shared in the OP.

No, he wasn't drafted to a side that finished bottom of the ladder, he was drafted to a side that finished 17th.

You might want to refer to Jonathon Brown's definition of the 'Daicos Effect', which has been shared in the OP.
So if the pies didn’t take Daicos assuming he goes pick one and the pies land JHF or Callahan (assuming they go for a midfielder) you don’t think the pies form turns?

& north Melbourne’s fate is very different?

Edit
Also if this “Daicos effect” is such a major factor why have the pies started the year with some pretty poor showings despite Nick being in the pies best for at least round 1 and 2

Also if this “Daicos effect” is such a major factor why have the pies started the year with some pretty poor showings despite Nick being in the pies best for at least round 1 and 2
I thought the home and away season went for 24 weeks, not 3 weeks?

Nonetheless, even if we are to miss finals in 2024, I'd be more than happy to alternate between Prelim Final loss, flag and miss finals for the next dozen years of his career.

I thought the home and away season went for 24 weeks, not 3 weeks?

Nonetheless, even if we are to miss finals in 2024, I'd be more than happy to alternate between Prelim Final loss, flag and miss finals for the next dozen years of his career.
But if we are using your flag criteria wouldn’t that mean Daicos’ rating as a player should take a hit? Since flags are part of the criteria of an individual players rating?

You also didn’t say anything about the other questions I asked

So if the pies didn’t take Daicos assuming he goes pick one and the pies land JHF or Callahan (assuming they go for a midfielder) you don’t think the pies form turns?

& north Melbourne’s fate is very different?

Edit

Glad you like it.

That Matt Rowell is an inside midfielder and Nick Daicos is more outside? Shock horror! You’re on fire today!

Despite being a year young and playing 15 less games, Nick Daicos has kicked more goals, and had more goal assists. Has had over 200 more efficient disposals, and 6% better disposal efficiency whilst also adding 6,000 more metres gained.

Stats are fun, aren’t they? Fairly pointless though when you share them in isolation.

Last edited:
Back