Review Good/Bad vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on, his performance on the weekend was embarrassing, need to send messages across the squad.

I would drop Laird and Smith before Pedlar but I would also send him packing. Bring in Edwards, Nank and Curtin/Hamill/Taylor
When you have two players that both had bad/nothing games in a similar position , get rid of the less talented one first.
Murphy over pedlar out.

Ok - this is the paragraph out of the release:

“They were voted in by the playing group with the backing of the coaches, and the leadership group was formally endorsed by the Club’s Board and senior management.”

I find the language odd - the backing of the coaches language just feels like there was a hand in there influencing the outcome.
Coaches would have created parameters and things to look for when selecting.

They should do that by being consistent in measures.

You can't say all you need to do is try hard on one hand then lament execution on the other.

Well can only go by the press release. What is worse it is then endorsed by the board and senior management.

Coaches would have created parameters and things to look for when selecting.

"You must choose 6 players who have played between 78 and 120 games, as well as one who has played more than 220 games but who isn't an ex captain. The 8th choice shoud be someone inexperienced with around 40 games taken in the rookie draft to show perseverance"

"You must choose 6 players who have played between 78 and 120 games, as well as one who has played more than 220 games but who isn't an ex captain. The 8th choice shoud be someone inexperienced with around 40 games taken in the rookie draft to show perseverance"

And I’m not sure why but I could actually believe this.

Today's players couldn't handle this approach but two of our previous coaches wouldn't stand for the s**t being served up. Blighty would have named and shamed last week - think Pathetic Pittman - given the players didn't show up and were lazy and ill disciplined. Effort can't be conditional. A statement should have been made at selection.

And Walshy would be reminding everyone this is formula one footy - go slow and you'll finish last.

Smith has to be dumped as a statement. He's been diabolical and there's a ready made replacement in Nankervis.

Two more weeks of this and my care factor will be what it was when the club fell apart in 2019 and I didn't renew my membership.

Unfortunately, you need to blame the playing group for him being in the leadership group.

Not sure as I’ve said before whether players realise what a leader does, it isn’t a popularity contest. Sometimes as a leader you have to make calls that aren’t warm and fuzzy. Murphy and Smith aren’t leaders. Jury is out on Fogarty and Milera.

Why oh why do we need 8 players in a leadership group? Seriously, this isn’t under age footy where everyone gets a participation medal.

The players vote but the coaches tally the votes and then select the leadership group.

We accepted mediocrity when we made Murphy part of the leadership group.
+
Any club that has murphy in the leadership group is a basket case. He's everything wrong with the club. A complete stench. and it's not his fault. The coach and the higher ups are the problem.
+
As someone on here mentioned Murphy into the leadership group is unfathomable - well the leadership group is chosen by the players. What does that literally say?
Yeah, that was me :sneaky: :
Murphy into Leadership group. Unfathomable.
I haven't seen anyone in here who has endorsed Murphy as part of the Leadership group, but plenty who object.
The leadership group might be voted in by the players, but who nominates?
Also, the final decision would rest with the Coaching panel. Nicks would definitely have a veto power, I'd think.

While Smith has seniority, with him in that Leadership group Nicks has a problem on his hands.
Two of the team leaders have been two of our worst players so far.
Both Murphy and Smith should be dropped.
1711262567226.png

Today's players couldn't handle this approach but two of our previous coaches wouldn't stand for the s**t being served up. Blighty would have named and shamed last week - think Pathetic Pittman - given the players didn't show up and were lazy and ill disciplined. Effort can't be conditional. A statement should have been made at selection.

And Walshy would be reminding everyone this is formula one footy - go slow and you'll finish last.

Smith has to be dumped as a statement. He's been diabolical and there's a ready made replacement in Nankervis.

Two more weeks of this and my care factor will be what it was when the club fell apart in 2019 and I didn't renew my membership.
If the coaches were going to name and shame for these s**t poor efforts then they’d have to name themselves first.

Why is everyone blaming the players? The coaching and game plan is by far the biggest problem.

Watching Footy Furnace on Channel 9 .....Jimmy Bartel and Leigh Matthews both saying ....between Laird, Crouch, and Berry, you have carbon copies of each other .....and how can you get so many possessions, and not go anywhere

It just reinforces my POV ....that Crouch did not play well, heaps of possessions .....but no damage done, as has been
his MO

Watch it, and make your own opinion

Watching Footy Furnace on Channel 9 .....Jimmy Bartel and Leigh Matthews both saying ....between Laird, Crouch, and Berry, you have carbon copies of each other .....and how can you get so many possessions, and not go anywhere

It just reinforces my POV ....that Crouch did not play well, heaps of possessions .....but no damage done, as has been
his MO

He's our best inside mid by a country mile.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

his MO

What did they say about Nicks coaching?

his MO

If you honestly couldn't work out Crouch was easily our best midfielder, I have a rabbit to sell you...

his MO

Except he also said Soligo doesn't take the game on? The only difference between the midfield from last year is Berry, the issue is this "defense" game plan Nicks is trying to play in the first 2 weeks for a majority of the game. When we decided to attack for 1.5 quarter last week and for the 2nd quarter this week, we looked like last year with that same midfield so......

I'll have a nibble.

I can see what WaynesWorld19 is saying, I can also see why Crouch is highly regarded (Kane McGoodwin, Brett Cummings ).

Crouch and Laird are great at getting the ball, they go in hard and evade well; sometimes I'm amazed by the situations they're in and come out WITH the ball.
After that, it breaks down because:
--- the outside Crows players do not get themselves into good positions to receive; they are often flat-footed and being guarded by an opponent. Crouch and Laird are looking for give-to teammates in the clear, but they're rare, so the disposals often seem ineffective.
--- but there's also a problem with creation. The really effective midfielders are creative --- they kick or handball either to where a running teammate will be, or to a place they want their teammate to go to, ie they force them to run-and-receive in good positions to be able to move the ball on again, effectively.

It's very subtle.

I look at players who dish out, like the Dees' Oliver for example. His ball-getting is amazing but he also looks BEFORE he gets the ball. He knows where his mates are and his handballing is dynamically damaging because it makes his mate move on. I saw also a reel of Nick Daicos delivering to teammates. Daicos rarely handballs or kicks straight to a teammate --- it's always to a space/spot that the teammate has to run to, to receive the ball in the clear and move it on again.
Crouch and Laird often dish off to teammates who are in poor positions. Flat-footed. It's stop-start, no movement fluency.
It's a bit of a Crows flaw, or maybe just a mediocre-team flaw, because a lot deliver to teammates who are static. So, we maintain possession but paths ahead get clogged up. Several times vs the Cats the Crows had chains of kick-and-mark, left/right, left/right, maybe 25 metres forward, but it was all to a player, not making anyone run to a clear place to advantage to be able to continue the forward movement.
Crows run to a spot, stand, receive, stop, look --- NOTHING happening --- so they kick back or across to a teammate who does the same thing, stand, receive, stop, look.

So, after Laird or Crouch take possession it's either stop-start, stop-start, stop-start, then turnover, or a kick gets knocked oob or worse ootf.

The Crows look best and move the ball best when they are being creative and playing instinctively. I saw Max take a mark in space at half-back, take a step like he was going to run forward, break a line, deliver quickly --- he could have bolted forward, he was clear --- but then he second-guessed, stopped, looked, thought, enabling the Cats to set up and block.
When does Fogarty look best? When he gets the ball, evades, fends and moves the ball quickly --- one of his goals was magic when he received, ran, pushed his hand into the chest of a Cat who was stunned as Fogarty kicked a goal on-the-run.

I reckon Nicks or Burns or VB or all of them have got into the players' heads with method/system/defence and have stifled their natural, creative instincts.
Our best players, Dawson, Rankine, Pedlar, Rachele, Soligo, Tex and a few others are not systems' footballers. They are most effective when they are just doing/playing/creating, not thinking.

Last edited:
Except he also said Soligo doesn't take the game on? The only difference between the midfield from last year is Berry, the issue is this "defense" game plan Nicks is trying to play in the first 2 weeks for a majority of the game. When we decided to attack for 1.5 quarter last week and for the 2nd quarter this week, we looked like last year with that same midfield so......
I've just watched it, and he definitely said "Soligo at least tries to take the game on". Not knocking him at all.

I'll have a nibble.

I can see what WaynesWorld19 is saying, I can also see why Crouch is highly regarded (Kane McGoodwin, Brett Cummings ).

Crouch and Laird are great at getting the ball, they go in hard and evade well; sometimes I'm amazed by the situations they're in and come out WITH the ball.
After that, it breaks down because:
--- the outside Crows players do not get themselves into good positions to receive; they are often flat-footed and being guarded by an opponent. Crouch and Laird are looking for give-to teammates in the clear, but they're rare, so the disposals often seem ineffective.
--- but there's also a problem with creation. The really effective midfielders are creative --- they kick or handball either to where a running teammate will be, or to a place they want their teammate to go to, ie they force them to run-and-receive in good positions to be able to move the ball on again, effectively.

It's very subtle.

I look at players who dish out, like the Dees' Oliver for example. His ball-getting is amazing but he also looks BEFORE he gets the ball. He knows where his mates are and his handballing is dynamically damaging because it makes his mate move on. I saw also a reel of Nick Daicos delivering to teammates. Daicos rarely handballs or kicks straight to a teammate --- it's always to a space/spot that the teammate has to run to, to receive the ball in the clear and move it on again.
Crouch and Laird often dish off to teammates who are in poor positions. Flat-footed. It's stop-start, no movement fluency.
It's a bit of a Crows flaw, or maybe just a mediocre-team flaw, because a lot deliver to teammates who are static. So, we maintain possession but paths ahead get clogged up. Several times vs the Cats the Crows had chains of kick-and-mark, left/right, left/right, maybe 25 metres forward, but it was all to a player, not making anyone run to a clear place to advantage to be able to continue the forward movement.
Crows run to a spot, stand, receive, stop, look --- NOTHING happening --- so they kick back or across to a teammate who does the same thing, stand, receive, stop, look.

So, after Laird or Crouch take possession it's either stop-start, stop-start, stop-start, then turnover, or a kick gets knocked oob or worse ootf.

The Crows look best and move the ball best when they are being creative and playing instinctively. I saw Max take a mark in space at half-back, take a step like he was going to run forward, break a line, deliver quickly --- he could have bolted forward, he was clear --- but then he second-guessed, stopped, looked, thought, enabling the Cats to set up and block.
When does Fogarty look best? When he gets the ball, evades, fends and moves the ball quickly --- one of his goals was magic when he recieved, ran, pushed his hand into the chest of a Cat who was stunned as Fogarty kicked a goal on-the-run.

I reckon Nicks or Burns or VB or all of them have got into the players' heads with method/system/defence and have stifled their natural, creative instincts.
Our best players, Dawson, Rankine, Pedlar, Rachele, Soligo, Tex and a few others are not systems' footballers. They are most effective when they are just doing/playing/creating, not thinking.
Your analysis on our passing is excellent IMO, and it can be extended to our forward 50 entries as well. There's a few reasons Tom Stewart marked more of our entries than our entire team combined, and one of them has to be the lack of movement. It's been pointed out by a couple of people before, but we just looked stagnant. We were 4th in marks inside 50 per game last year - we are currently last.

The really effective midfielders are creative --- they kick or handball either to where a running teammate will be, or to a place they want their teammate to go to, ie they force them to run-and-receive in good positions to be able to move the ball on again, effectively.

It's very subtle.
Soligo is excellent at this

Keays hasn’t been ok, he’s sucked except for the first half against Gold Coast.

Also has anyone tagged you lately about Keays playing well?
IMG_1981.gif

But dont worry.. it’ll come..

He’ll have a half decent game soon where he’ll kick 3 joe the goose’s (still miss 2 or 3 easy targets at the same time but thats ok) and they’ll be lining up to tag me in and claim I’m wrong about Benny..

Thats all most of our supporters really care about.. as long as our team and its players play 1 good game in every three or four and, at the same time, give their all the rest of the time…

Then they are satisfied and will continue openning their wallets.

The club knows this.. they have fostered and nurtured this thinking for decades now..

Decades of “near enough is good enough”.. “just do your best”..

Decades of mediocrity.

his MO

You are missing the point.

It is totally fine to have a crouch, a laird and a berry..

As long as its only ONE of them in the 22.

Not all three in the same 22.

I’ve been ranting and raving endlessly about this for years.. have you not been listenning?..

At the moment.. the one in the best form out of the three is crouch.

Keep him in and drop the other two back to the SANFL until crouch’s gets injured or his form drops off.

With all three of them in the side we have a lopsided midfield.. no balance.

We need one of crouch, or laird, or berry.. just one.. in and under there in the mid stoppages accumulating possessions and shovelling those possessions to the outside of the pack to blokes with x-factor, talent and skills who can make the the correct decisions and pull them off.

Its been our midfield issue for years now.

Too many accumulators with poor skills, limited talent and no ex-factor in the same 22 and the results of the last 5 or so years reflect this.

Yep, basically the majority of the teams are playing a quick ball movement game. We’ve reverted to kick pass and then bomb long down the line. It’s so dumb. Was walking across the bridge last night and some old fella next to me brings up this s**t game plan. If we can all see it, how come those experts at the club can’t?
I sat high in the Southern Stand Friday night and got a good view of our ball movement and defensive formation.

Apart from midfield issues a big issue was being hemmed in at HB/,Wing.

Our guys looking to move the ball forward in a straight line down the ground.

Geelong see this and put bulk numbers there. They knew they didn't have to cut off diagnL movement.

We kick it forward, turnover.

We switch play, it is still in a straight line. Just out to the other wing. Geelong move their defence sideways. Turnover.

The one time we go on the diagonal, Burgess gets out on a lead. But missed that set shot.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I sat high in the Southern Stand Friday night and got a good view of our ball movement and defensive formation.

Apart from midfield issues a big issue was being hemmed in at HB/,Wing.

Our guys looking to move the ball forward in a straight line down the ground.

Geelong see this and put bulk numbers there. They knew they didn't have to cut off diagnL movement.

We kick it forward, turnover.

We switch play, it is still in a straight line. Just out to the other wing. Geelong move their defence sideways. Turnover.

The one time we go on the diagonal, Burgess gets out on a lead. But missed that set shot.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
******* clueless idiots, how is it we can see s**t like this but paid professionals can’t?

And to think we have posters who blindly follow these muppets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back