Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

"they" are keeping powder dry until he "stumbles"...
Gorilla warfare
machine gun gorilla GIF

"they" are keeping powder dry until he "stumbles"...
Gorilla warfare

It's the same pattern for people with opposite opinions though isn't it? If we go 5-0 to start the season, he's a genius and everyone who thinks he isn't up to it is an idiot.

But then if we go on a losing streak of 5 then it's the exact opposite. I decided late into last season he hasn't got what it takes to lead us forward. Having 2 wins to start the season is great but the data we have so far isn't enough to change my mind yet.

We continue to have horrendous starts and let's not pretend like we haven't played one of the worst clubs in recent history (Norf) and Brisbane with their best player out (Neale).

We could go on and make finals and even then, the side would have to have a win or make top 4 for me to be convinced with him moving forward.

I hope I'm wrong but if the club has made the wrong choice it will be yet another poor choice to add to the list over the last 30 year's.

that's because you're allowing your instinctive mind to make the decision over your intuitive mind (which analyses facts, logic, patterns). There's a great book called Mindstuck which references a LOT of current psychology by some of our actual psychologists and researchers and explains why you see what you see on social media and why it is virtually impossible to convince someone to change their mind on social media or blogs like this, particularly using facts and logic.

that's because you're allowing your instinctive mind to make the decision over your intuitive mind (which analyses facts, logic, patterns). There's a great book called Mindstuck which references a LOT of current psychology by some of our actual psychologists and researchers and explains why you see what you see on social media and why it is virtually impossible to convince someone to change their mind on social media or blogs like this, particularly using facts and logic.

Really?

I said I made my decision late last year that he wasnt the coach to take us to a flag. That's 4 years worth of data.

And now 2 games in I should change my mind back because we had 2 wins against 1 wet sock opposition and a team missing their best player?

I disagree what you wrote is applicable to my post. If we make top 4 or win a final I will reasses but right now from everything I have seen I don't see him being a premiership coach for us.

Really?

I said I made my decision late last year that he wasnt the coach to take us to a flag. That's 4 years worth of data.

And now 2 games in I should change my mind back because we had 2 wins against 1 wet sock opposition and a team missing their best player?

I disagree what you wrote is applicable to my post. If we make top 4 or win a final I will reasses but right now from everything I have seen I don't see him being a premiership coach for us.
Fair enough too.
I felt the same last year, but have shifted more towards he could work. (Was ready t burn the club to the ground)

The players seem to want to play for him. (this is huge)
The game plan works, and the players understand it and stick to it.
We have previously beaten high class teams.

Yes, there's is still a lot of unknown, can it stand up for a season, can it stand up in finals. For now, for me, he's got the benefit f the doubt.

Really?

What would change your mind?

Really?

Brisbane was missing a duel Brownlow medalist. We've done the same for 2-3 years in a row without cutting any slack to JLo.

I prefer to look at what other clubs have done too. Hawks, Richmond, Geelong all stuck with long serving coaches after not getting desired results and it paid off with a flag. Jlo has been improving the list and even won a flag, one stubble after losing 4 senior players is not the time to be calling stumps on him. We need more patience rather than rolling the dice that we pick up the 1 in 10 wiz kid coach.

Really?

and there's proof of concept. thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As above. Top 4 finish or winning a final would be a good indicator.
The final in 2022 doesn't count?

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind btw. Hell, I'm not 100% sure JL is the right guy myself, even though I have never been in the sack him in 2024 camp. This young group needs some continuity and starting with a new coach this year would have been a step backwards.

I'm only trying to gauge what people think he has to do to remain the coach in the medium future.

You've had 4 years of an astoundingly young team and a first time senior coach, that has already won a final. W're yet to see the best of them but they should start improving now. The players quite clearly want to play for the coach (This is massive IMO) and we've got plenty of talent across most lines. Last year was very frustrating as a supporter, but we should start to see improvement this year. We may or may not make finals this year and I fully expect there to be another log-jam in the middle of the ladder so I'll be happy with anywhere between 6th-10th as long as we see improved structure/ball movement no floggings etc. Next year is where we'll really start to challenge I think particularly if we add the right players over the off season with our suite of draft picks. I think JLo is safe for this season and next unless the wheels come off in flame-ball 5 car pile up sort of scenario this season then I can see him being moved on. FWIW I think he's doing fine, clearly has the players backing, he and the board/CEO etc seem to be on the same page too.

You do you mate, and I'll do me
I just like analysing and posting what I see - the good and the not so good. I'm not waiting/hoping for things to go to s**t, I'm making my own honest predictions/assessments and reflecting them in my posts. I might be right, I might be wrong. For so long as it's a discussion forum, I will post. When it becomes restricted to fanbois like you and all you can do is be a cheerleader, I'll stop posting.
Lobby the mods for the change you want and I'll go away, is my advice
We fans are a broad church Feeder and every dockers fan is family.
Not always in agreement, as in one of us is wrong, but family anyway.
Fanboi vs Jonah, stinging words...
I will try to be more kind.
YOKAI!

Last edited:
We fans are a broad church feeder and every dockers fan is family.
Not always in agreement, as in one of us is wrong, but family anyway.
Fanboi vs Jonah, stinging words...
YOKAI!
Anyone else only see a women's reproductive system every time oldgoat posts?

What a crock. You're comparing all of these players at their peak to a this team in a single moment of time. Revisionist bullshit.
Absolutely laughable to suggest no one from this team would make that team.
Sounds like you're living in a past that never existed in the way you remember it. If that list was as good as you're suggesting it would have won multiple premierships regardless of the coach.

As I pointed out some of these players either didn’t play under Connolly or barely played under him.

Our team from 2018-2020 was pretty good wasn’t it?

Ryan Pearce Spurr
Aish Cox Young
B.Hill Mundy S.Hill
Frederick Hogan Walters
Ballantyne Lobb Schultz
Sandilands Neale Fyfe
Wilson Brayshaw Serong Langdon Switkowski

I create a team that never played together as well.

As I pointed out some of these players either didn’t play under Connolly or barely played under him.

Our team from 2018-2020 was pretty good wasn’t it?

Ryan Pearce Spurr
Aish Cox Young
B.Hill Mundy S.Hill
Frederick Hogan Walters
Ballantyne Lobb Schultz
Sandilands Neale Fyfe
Wilson Brayshaw Serong Langdon Switkowski

I create a team that never played together as well.

I was replying to people who were saying we have the best list we’ve ever had by literally listing players from our 2006 list. That was a strong list too.

I doubt all our current list will ever line up in what will prove with time to be the best 22, when Simpson is peaking Walters & Fyfe are likely gone etc.

Perhaps my mistake was putting them in position but that was our list in 2006 & it was a very good one that I think a better coach would have taken further.

At the moment we have journeyman like Hughes, Banners, Worner, a very young couple of key forwards & not really any proper wingers (Sharp is unproven) plus our number one ruck is out more than in, Fyfe has barely played for 3 years, Chapman & NOD can’t get on the park & people expect JL to win a flag against the likes of GWS & Sydney and Collingwood who are stacked with academy and F/S talent.

I was making an equivalence. You can say it’s based on a flawed premise, I just thought it was interesting.

Oh and my list was from a single year. Not a period.

I always have a bit of a chuckle at the team sheet. Danny Peace literally never played as a forward, And, what on earth is Mundy doing on a wing?

Was Jack Hannath really that close to playing in a GF? Boy. Our depth must have been fingernail deep.
No he wasnt and here is why.....

Hannath was our 4th ruck behind Sandilands, Zac Clarke and Jono Griffin.

I remember who was our rucks available in each round.

Sandilands missed out rounds 1 to 14 with a turf toe injury.

Clarke missed the 1st 4 rounds due to getting an injury in the big day out concert,

So rounds 1 to 4.... It was Jono Griffin and Jack Hannath.

Rounds 5 to 7, it was Jono Griffin and Zac Clarke.

round 7 Griffin did his knee vs richmond at home in which we literally won by a point and one metre.

Rounds 8 to 14, it was Zac Clarke and Jack Hannath that got game time as rucks.

Once Sandilands returned from injury , it was Sandilands and Zac Clarke that were our main rucks...

Essentially... The only way Jack Hannath would of played in a grand final is if eith sandi or clarke was injured.

No he wasnt and here is why.....

Hannath was our 4th ruck behind Sandilands, Zac Clarke and Jono Griffin.

I remember who was our rucks available in each round.

Sandilands missed out rounds 1 to 14 with a turf toe injury.

Clarke missed the 1st 4 rounds due to getting an injury in the big day out concert,

So rounds 1 to 4.... It was Jono Griffin and Jack Hannath.

Rounds 5 to 7, it was Jono Griffin and Zac Clarke.

round 7 Griffin did his knee vs richmond at home in which we literally won by a point and one metre.

Rounds 8 to 14, it was Zac Clarke and Jack Hannath that got game time as rucks.

Once Sandilands returned from injury , it was Sandilands and Zac Clarke that were our main rucks...

Essentially... The only way Jack Hannath would of played in a grand final is if eith sandi or clarke was injured.
Yes, I remember now that your mention it. Thanks. Pretty good rotation. Loved Griff. Underrated talent. Could clunk a mark or two as well as a good tap ruckman. Still remember Zac's ability to get airborne was super - exciting.

942d359bb49c48024d3fdf5cfca88b09.jpg

Pity you can't do that anymore. Players (managers?) get a sniff they might not be lock best 22 and pack their bags. Lloyd Meek essentially went from WAFL/AFL to VFL/AFL (Hasn't played a game yet in the 1s this year).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back